IGNORED

What was your best start to a round ever?

MasonAsher2014
Note: This thread is 2435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got to thinking about this the other day when I noticed how well I was playing. I started birdie, par, birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie, birdie to go -7 thru 7. This would only rival the time I birdied the last five holes on the front at my college's home course to shoot a 30. What has your best start to a round been? -1 thru 1? -5 thru 10? (By the way, I ended up blowing up on the back with two doubles.)

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My self-expectations are quite a bit different from yours, since our handicaps are an order of magnitude apart.  But ...

A few weeks ago, bogey on the first hole, then par, par ....

After six holes, I was 1 over par.

We don't have to talk about much about the rest of the round (was still a very good round for me, though).  But those first six holes were memorable.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

20 minutes ago, MasonAsher2014 said:

What has your best start to a round been?

Probably the round I played on my 60th birthday.  Four under after making another birdie on #10.  Ended up shooting even par 71 with a double bogey on the last hole.  At the time I had no idea what my score was; I figured around 76 or so.

When I added things up in the clubhouse I was pleased for about 30 seconds before I began to think about "what if". ;-)

Brian Kuehn

9 minutes ago, Shooting29 said:

In men's league one night I started birdie birdie par par birdie eagle birdie to be -6 thru 7.

Not bad at all! Mine was helped with 4 straight wedges to about 5 feet and the eagle was on a par five dogleg that I hooked a 3 wood off the tee around the dogleg to be in reachable distance.

26 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

My self-expectations are quite a bit different from yours, since our handicaps are an order of magnitude apart.  But ...

A few weeks ago, bogey on the first hole, then par, par ....

After six holes, I was 1 over par.

We don't have to talk about much about the rest of the round (was still a very good round for me, though).  But those first six holes were memorable.

That's great! I'm still happy to be +1 thru 6! Just wait til you start out under par! It's a feeling unlike any other.

25 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Probably the round I played on my 60th birthday.  Four under after making another birdie on #10.  Ended up shooting even par 71 with a double bogey on the last hole.  At the time I had no idea what my score was; I figured around 76 or so.

When I added things up in the clubhouse I was pleased for about 30 seconds before I began to think about "what if". ;-)

Dang! My lowest round I have shot I didn't even know what it was going to be just like that. I birdied all the par 5s and a few par 4s and I figured I'd be around par. It's nice to get some insurance in the early goings!

In my bag:

Taylormade R11S Driver
Taylormade RBZ 3-wood
Nike VRS Irons 4-9
SM4 Titleist Vokey Wedges 47, 54, 58
College freshman playing golf at Wabash College in Indiana!

This summer had my best start in several seasons:

Bogie / birdie / double bogie / bogie / par / par / bogie / par / double bogie (a boneheaded end to the nine, after hitting fairway just 140 yards from green).

Shot 41 + 47 = 88 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Twice in my life have I birdied hole #1 in a round.  So... those two rounds.  I think I parred the second hole one of those two, so... that round.

I also had a round where I bogeyed hole #1 but then birdied #2 and #3.  First time a particular friend played with me, prompting him to ask if I'm always that good.  I... didn't keep up my level of play that round.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I can't really count it because it was the start of the back nine, but I was once one over for three holes.  Best start for me has happened a few times, bogey golf for three holes until the inevitable blow ups happen.  

It doesn't matter if I stretch, hit balls, warm up or anything, I'm consistently struggling on the first hole.  I can't count the number of times I've started and said to myself : " F - yeah, opening six!"

Corey

The second to last time I played I started the back nine par par bogey bogey. That's pretty good for me. 

The last time I played I started birdie (my first ever) and then followed it up with a triple (or quad) on the next one (185 par par 3 over a lake). 

Twice I started birdie, birdie and minus 2 after 4. But after 7 holes I was over par again.

Best 9 holes ever was -1 from the back tees. Then there was a break and played the same 9 from easier tees and scored a +6 :angry:

I've started birdie, eagle off the first two holes, but 2 holes doesn't really cut it.

I don't remember the specifics, but I was sitting at 1 under through 13 holes during a round in May.  Finished 4 over.  Also had one day in May where I was even through 15...finished 2 over.    May was a good month.

Typically I'm happy with even through 5 or 6 because I know I'm always capable of stringing together a large bogey streak.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

League night last year, we were playing a team that insisted we play from the whites so we obliged.  We were playing match play and I closed my guy out in 5 holes...here's why.  I started birdie, birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie to go -6 thru 5 holes...was one of those days where everything was on and was hitting wedges to a couple feet and making putts.  The eagle I had was a 30 footer but was a pretty straight putt.  I was pretty upset when the rain poured on us to keep me from finishing the round.  That was one of the last times I played the white tees too.

Best I have ever done is birdies on the first 4 holes, par, then bogey the last 4 holes for an even side. I did make 2 more birdies on the back to shoot 3 over, but it was a pretty up and down day. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I was -1 through 5 and even through 8 about 4-5 weeks ago. That was on my home course, which I have played so many times I have it memorized.

Then of course I double bogied the 9th and finished +2. 

I've had 2 31's after 9 holes.  Both times, I wasn't really thinking about it, because I was thinking more about the competition.  But by 16, it definitely got in my head that I was 7 under.  It's funny because at both those courses, the back 9s are easier. I knew I was 5 under through 9 and I've definitely gone 5 under on the back at both those courses, but I couldn't keep it going after those stellar fronts.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I once started a Club Championship (first flight, not Championship) match with 3 birdies.  The only time I know I've done better was playing from the more forward (Senior) tees for fun a few weeks ago, I started with 3-3-3-3  (Bird-Bird-Eagle-Par).  My longest putt on the first three holes was about 4 feet.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

-4 thru 7 in a tournament I played in last year. Finished 1 under.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Note: This thread is 2435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!