IGNORED

What keeps you from playing more golf?

socialputts
Note: This thread is 2405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why aren't you playing more golf?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What are the obstacles that are preventing you from playing more golf?

• Lack of available time
    • It's tough to get my buddies together
    • Too expensive
    • I don't have a lot of people to play with, and I don't like playing as a single
    • If I played any more golf my spouse would divorce me
    • If I were a better golfer I think I'd play more often
    • Nothing is stopping me, I play as much golf as I want

Over the past few years I've been trying to overcome the challenges that have kept me from playing more golf.  I've even gone so far as to create an app. to help me and my friends play more golf together.  I'm curious about what, if anything, is preventing you from playing as much golf as you would like.

• Upvote 1

Sincerely, Art

595fdffb1cd64_logoforTST.jpg.9637d0539d0818684c1ee7c2f23bfb3a.jpg

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm retired (2016) and my wife understands and accepts that I am playing golf.   I gave up golf when the kids were younger to coach travel soccer for 15 years so I'm reaping the benefits of an empty nest.   I'm playing at least 3 times but usually 4 times per week.    When I first retired, I was golfing 6 days per week.    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Definitely my wife, and then 2nd to that, the cost.

I typically can get out at least once a week either on Saturday or Sunday, but wanting to go to the driving range for practice during the week doesnt typically go over to well. Its the typical "you already spend half the day saturday or sunday golfing blah blah blah..." Although she has come with me to both the range and the course a few times so I think its growing on her!

Then there's the cost. I am still young, making a decent salary but nothing to brag about, have student loans to pay off, trying to fix up our house, etc. so its not too bad to pay $25 or so once a week for a round, it does get expensive when I want to go 2-3 times in a week or add in $8 per time to go to the driving range it gets expensive just to practice. I have bought my driver, 3 wood, hybrid and lob wedge all used this year which has definitely saved me money.

As a cheaper substitute (although not as much fun) I have been starting to get into disc golfing more. Discs are cheap and all of the courses I have been to so far have been free! 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

Time.  I get busy at work and sometimes an entire school year goes by and I have played maybe six rounds.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

35 minutes ago, socialputts said:

.. I'm curious about what, if anything, is preventing you from playing as much golf as you would like.

The weather.

About 15 years ago, I decided I had enough of working 5 days a week with 3 weeks of vacation. I was able to negotiate flexible work hours and since that time, I have pretty much played as often as I wanted (except December - February).  

Brian Kuehn

I am just returning to golf after a 15+ year layoff, and retired a few years ago (many of my golf buddies were co-workers). So I don't have golf friends anymore, I'm having to re-establish those connections. And my game hasn't reached 'steady state' (yet?) so if I want to play with others of similar ability, it may be a little too soon to reach out.

Beyond that, playing more often gets a little expensive, but that's really not a barrier. My wife has encouraged me to play again, so I can't blame her - aside from her not understanding why I might want new clubs, my 1996 clubs are in excellent condition so they look fine to her...:-P

Edited by Midpack

I pretty much play as much as I want.  Usually twice a week, with an occasional extra round thrown in every now and then.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

19 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Time.  I get busy at work and sometimes an entire school year goes by and I have played maybe six rounds.

This has been my biggest challenge.  I'm fortunate that my schedule has been a little more flexible lately, but when I suddenly have a free afternoon to play golf it's tough to coordinate friends to play last minute.

Sincerely, Art

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

Time. I have a full time job and a toddler at home. It's not easy to just leave for 2+ hours to play golf.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

13 minutes ago, Midpack said:

I am just returning to golf after a 15+ year layoff, and retired a few years ago (many of my golf buddies were co-workers). So I don't have golf friends anymore, I'm having to re-establish those connections. And my game hasn't reached 'steady state' (yet?) so if I want to play with others of similar ability, it may be a little too soon to reach out.

Beyond that, playing more often gets a little expensive, but that's really not a barrier. My wife has encouraged me to play again, so I can't blame her - aside from her not understanding why I might want new clubs, my 1996 clubs are in excellent condition so they look fine to her...:-P

I friend of mine just started to play.  His wife has encouraged him to play but he got similar push back when he mentioned to her that he wanted to buy clubs.  He ended up getting a used set off of Craig's List on Sunday.  

Sincerely, Art

Time and money are "holding" me back. My wife lets me have a golf budget and I can only squeeze in so many rounds and practice buckets. As soon as I hit the lottery ... :-D

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

I voted lack of available time, and that is due to working rotating 12 hour shifts. I can play on my days off and can squeeze in a quick round before or after work when I'm on nightshift but on dayshift I can't because it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home most of the year.

9 minutes ago, Shooting29 said:

I voted lack of available time, and that is due to working rotating 12 hour shifts. I can play on my days off and can squeeze in a quick round before or after work when I'm on nightshift but on dayshift I can't because it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home most of the year.

Sounds like you need to find a glo golf league!

Sincerely, Art

I voted for "Nothing is stopping me, I play as much golf as I want".  That fit me best.  I don't play more golf because I don't want to play more golf.  I played today and each of the 3 previous days.  That is feeling too much right now and I think I'll skip a few days, maybe tomorrow morning I'll feel differently.

I wanted to add I have a full time job.  Those four rounds... Executive 18 2hrs, Executive 9 1.5 hours, Full course (Torrey Pines) 5 hours, Executive 18 2 hrs.  A big reason I play so much is on work days I often get to the course at the crack of dawn, one of the 1st out, playing as a single, executive 18 that I sometimes play in 1.5 hours.  This time of the year I can be done by 7 am.

Edited by No Mulligans

Pretty much, it's just work.

No wife, no kids. I got some house chores each weekend between my own place and my mum's. Still its two rounds per weekend as long as it isn't raining. When I get a day off, you can pretty much bet on a third round.

Money's not a major factor as my primary Xmas/birthday gift from the family is a City of Dayton privilege card that lets me play for $5 per round. Not fancy mind you, but playable.

For me, its work.  My wife loves to play, so I never get any flack from her.  I'm sure once I retire that my feeble body will limit me to some extent, but at the moment its just my job that keeps me from the course.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Family mostly but money would be an issue if I played more often.

I get out of work early enough that I could play 9-18 holes every day if I wanted to but I'd miss out on a lot of family time. I don't really have friends I golf with so that's not an issue.

There's a private club about two minutes from my house I think I would join in the future when my kids are older if I can afford it. I don't see a lot of people out in weekday afternoons so I could probably play 18 in under three hours after work and still be home in time for dinner.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

When I was single, I would cook all my meals for the week on Sundays while I watched football. I would do all my cleaning in one shot on Saturday morning, and all my shopping right after work on Friday (when nobody was at the grocery store). I had a phenomenal system that required discipline, but afforded me big chunks of maximum free time throughout the week and in the evenings.

As a married man, my wife says I can play golf whenever I want, but I know that’s not really true. So, I’m careful not to take advantage, and I choose my spots carefully. Sometimes that means I don't play for 2 or 3 weeks. Sometimes I get to play twice a week; any more than that and the tone at home changes. 

Edited by Kalnoky

Note: This thread is 2405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!