IGNORED

Bucket list courses you got to play!

scotth
Note: This thread is 2471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Always interesting to me to hear what clubs somebody has or had on their dream list to play and actually got an opportunity to play them.

For me right now they are:

Pebble Beach, Pinehurst #2, Champions (in Houston), Colonial

Many, many more courses that I hope to still play...... but that's a different topic for a different day.

• Upvote 1

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, scotth said:

Always interesting to me to hear what clubs somebody has or had on their dream list to play and actually got an opportunity to play them.

For me right now they are:

Pebble Beach, Pinehurst #2, Champions (in Houston), Colonial

Many, many more courses that I hope to still play...... but that's a different topic for a different day.

Two that stand out, because you just can't play them by showing up with a pail full of money, are Crystal Downs, in Frankfort, MI, and Congressional CC.  Others that I've played on golf holidays are Pinehurst #2, The Old Course (and a few more in Scotland and Ireland), and Whistling Straits.  I think I've played over 250, and still keep adding to the new experiences.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Two that stand out, because you just can't play them by showing up with a pail full of money, 

I agree, that's part of the bucket list aspect.  For me being invited by members to play Champions and Colonial, made them extra special.  

Now that I think about it being asked to play a round at Austin Country Club when Harvey Penick was still holding court was a lifetime moment also.

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Spyglass, Bandon Dunes, Bethpage Black and Hillside (next to Birkdale), which I consider bucket list quality. 

If I ever get my game to where I want it to be, will go to Cabot Cliffs.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

TPC Sawgrass a couple of times.  Other than that, some nice courses, but nothing terribly exciting.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Whistling Straits is one I got to play.  It was an incredible experience.  

• Upvote 2

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

43 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Two that stand out, because you just can't play them by showing up with a pail full of money, are Crystal Downs, in Frankfort, MI, and Congressional CC.  Others that I've played on golf holidays are Pinehurst #2, The Old Course (and a few more in Scotland and Ireland), and Whistling Straits.  I think I've played over 250, and still keep adding to the new experiences.

Crystal Downs - tell me how that was. It is on my bucket list, but I haven't found any connections to members, or course staff there.

My bucket list is Oakland Hills South, and I once played 4 holes at Champions before the rains came in.
I mostly play public/resort courses, so they aren't really bucket list as it is just a matter of time and money to get on those.

Players play, tough players win!

1 minute ago, Wally Fairway said:

Crystal Downs - tell me how that was. It is on my bucket list, but I haven't found any connections to members, or course staff there.

I played that when I was in college, I think my uncle had some kind of arrangement, or maybe he just bluffed us into playing.  I don't really remember much, except that conditions were more perfect than I'd ever seen before.  All I really remember is the first tee shot, out into space to a fairway far below.  There's a nice write-up here:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/crystal-downs/

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I think my only bucket list course is Augusta, just because there is no chance I'll ever play there.

I've played the Old Course and the other courses at St. Andrews and had a great time, just wish I was a better golfer back then.  There's obviously plenty of courses around the U.S. I would like to play, but I think it comes down to what each person is willing to pay and if they can make the time to go there and play.  To me, some courses would be great to play, but I don't think I would ever pay that much money to play them.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

and Congressional CC. 

I agree here, and actually got invited recently to play there, just waiting for everything to finalize.  But since I know this person, who has a relative that's a member, unfortunately time may pass and it just falls to the wayside. 

Gus
---------------

I've played Pinehurst #2 and Kiawah.  Those were on my list when I moved down here and got to knock them off.

I have many on the list but that's not really what this thread is for...as the OP stated. 

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

The only world class courses I've had the good fortune to play myself are Muirfield (Dublin OH), Cog Hill (Chicago) and Pinehurst (I don't remember which course, but it was not the famed #2 course). I got to play La Costa, but I don't know if that's considered a great course as much as a great resort (in it's day?). Meant to play Sawgrass when I lived in FL, but never made it. At my age, and (golf) ability, I wouldn't attempt to play another world class course, I'd just embarrass myself.

I did attend the 1989 Masters on Sat & Sun, so I got a good look at Augusta up close. What you see on TV or in pictures doesn't begin to do it justice. 1989 was the Faldo year defeated Hoch in a playoff, sadly Hoch sort of gave it away missing a 2-footer for the green jacket on the first playoff hole.

Edited by Midpack

5 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Dennison Golf Club, Granville, OH.

I played there many times when I lived in the area. But it wasn't on my bucket list...

I don't have many. I have played Oakmont multiple times, and it's amazing and exhausting. If I had to list some others, they would be Augusta, Pine Valley, and any of the great links courses in Scotland.

Over the years I've seen some pictures of courses, and one that looks amazing to me is The Ocean Course at Cabo del Sol. I'd like to play there.

"Witty golf quote."

45 minutes ago, Midpack said:

I played there many times when I lived in the area. But it wasn't on my bucket list...

Well even so, I'm sure it will be a slice of heaven given the fantastic golfers that will be be there.

Edited by mcanadiens

I played Shadow Creek in Las Vegas which was a treat.  You can't drive to the course.  They pick you up in a limo at the MGM and take you out there.  Only other course of note is The Links at Spanish Bay... not Pebble Beach but in the neighborhood and I played with a caddie which was cool. 

Planning a trip to Scotland in the next 1 to 2 years for Scotch and Golf... anyone want to tag along? 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Note: This thread is 2471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!