IGNORED

What is your formula for playing in wind?

Grinde6
Note: This thread is 2436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have searched a few times trying to find something that mentions this, but to no avail. 

What do you guys use as a "formula" for playing in wind...headwind, tailwind, crosswind.  What do you use to pick a yardage and a club with confidence?  Just looking for some different ideas and just to see what works for other people.  If this has already been discussed, please direct me to that forum.

Thanks everyone!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I try to judge wind as a percentage. Everyone's percentage is different depending on whether they hit the ball high or low, with less or more spin, etc.

Downwind is about 50% of the percentage I determine, into the wind is the full 100%. Crosswinds, you just estimate where you think you should aim.

You've got an LSW badge, so you kinda know what I mean by the percentage stuff.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In any kind of wind i that i personally refer to as "knock wind" which to me is any type of wind that i feel will push the ball away from what I'm looking at, i place one ball back from center in my stance and club up one to two clubs depending on where i have to carry. Full backswing with a half follow. I usually get a low penetrator with that setup. With the longer irons, the ball may spin up up a little, but not too much. With a driver from the tee, i dont make any adjustments. What i get is what i get. 

Downwind, i sort of play the ball normally and plan for less spin. Maybe i club down one. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

When it's breezy, swing easy. :-) 

I'm not a long hitter, so I have no ego and I'm comfortable hitting a LOT more club than a lot of my buddies.  In the wind, when they might try to muscle something a bit, I'll simply hit whatever club is necessary.  I hit driver into a 190 yard par-3 a few weeks ago.  A bit uphill, into the wind.  Of the 4 of us, I was the only one to hit the green.  They don't have room for pictures in those little boxes on the scorecard, only numbers! ;-) 

As to how, I estimate in 10 yard increments.  Solely by feel.

Edited by David in FL
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I go with the percentage method.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I typically just play the ball normal and adjust distances or aim based on wind direction, which is mostly just feel. I try to estimate to about 5-10 yards for head/tail wind.

Hi, I play at Rochford Hundred GC, links like and extremely windy. I would say that playing in wind for me is a lot about feel. Hitting it soft and easy into the wind cuts down the spin, which I tend to do too much, as I hit a very high ball. I've found that long irons gripped down to an 8 or 9 iron length seems to give a good result into the wind. I've found that downwind I would use a 9 iron from 160 yards, as I said the winds are 14 mph minimum with gusts of between 20 - 35+ mph

I rely on memory and club up or down accordingly.  Although playing, as I do, amid the sylvan glades; it is sometimes difficult to estimate the affect the wind will have.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Wind Percentage and just play golf.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Past history of all the situations I have played in for me. What does, and doesn't work. I even keep book of notes I have added to over the years. 

My note book contains reminders of information I might sometimes need during a round, that I may not readily remember. I even have a section on what might cause some of those bad shots I sometimes hit. Other info includes how to set up for certain shots I don't see much of. 

I also have the patience of a rock when needed, which probably helps most of all. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

In the wind I have a mantra I say to myself every time I hit... "when it's breezy, swing easy".  If you try to muscle a drive or other shots you end up creating more backspin or side spin and it will get you in more trouble. 

Also, I tend to think in terms of clubs... 1 club wind or two club wind and think of the yardages that way... typically in 10 yard increments.  I think less about it when I'm playing downwind... and if anything would take one club less if there is significant wind behind me. 

Growing up in Las Vegas I played in windy conditions often so I mostly go by feel.  I remember as a kid I tried to hit a sand wedge to a green about 70 yards in front of me into a strong wind... must've been at least 30 mph.  The ball actually landed behind me and was rolling the other direction.  My friend and I just looked at each other and said, "time to go in...". 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

34 minutes ago, todgot said:

In the wind I have a mantra I say to myself every time I hit... "when it's breezy, swing easy".  If you try to muscle a drive or other shots you end up creating more backspin or side spin and it will get you in more trouble. 

Also, I tend to think in terms of clubs... 1 club wind or two club wind and think of the yardages that way... typically in 10 yard increments.  I think less about it when I'm playing downwind... and if anything would take one club less if there is significant wind behind me.

Yes to this. Playing in Texas over the years, you develop a sense for what is a "1-club wind" similar to the sense of taking less club for a downhill shot etc. However I do believe the wind in different in West Texas than down on the coast. Coastal winds seem to swirl more.

-Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

It gets pretty windy here regularly, so I just get a feel for it. I've had shots into greens 4 clubs up before and that was with water behind the green! That was a really freaking windy day though. The "grass" test flew out of my hand and went straight sideways. Probably 30+ mph.

I probably take 1 to 1.5 clubs per 10 mph of wind on a typical 150 yard shot.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I'm not that scientific. If it feels like around 10-15 mph I add a club into the wind and take one less downwind. If it feels closer to 15-25 mph, I might add/subtract 2 clubs into the wind/downwind. If it's blowing much harder, I'm probably not playing.

Same thing I do for greens 10-20 foot uphill/elevated (add 1) or greens 10-20 foot below my lie (subtract 1). More than that and I may add/subtract more.

And right or wrong, when another player asks me for GPS distance, I'll say "X yards to the middle of the green, but up/down hill and into/with the wind and it looks like the pin is front/middle/back" just as a gentle reminder they might want to compensate - since all together it can make a difference of 2-3 clubs or more.

Edited by Midpack
  • Like 1

Lots of good advice for choosing clubs and alignments.  I also think "patience".  Especially in gusting winds, you're going to estimate (or guess) wrong, and hit good shots with bad results. Its not your fault!   You have to deal with this and move on to the next shot, without letting it get inside your head too much.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
14 hours ago, Midpack said:

I'm not that scientific. If it feels like around 10-15 mph I add a club into the wind and take one less downwind. If it feels closer to 15-25 mph, I might add/subtract 2 clubs into the wind/downwind. If it's blowing much harder, I'm probably not playing.

A 40-yard headwind will only add about 20 yards of carry. It's not 1:1.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In general, I try not to swing as hard and put as much spin on the ball (as others have mentioned.)  It's something I need to practice a bit more but it is normally the most effective way to combat the wind for me.

One other thing to mention here is to not ignore the uphill/downhill "magnification" or "reduction" in the effect of wind.  We have a par three that often play into the wind but is about 30 feet downhill.  Without wind it is a club less to hit the shot.  With what I would normally consider a club wind into the face I often take a little extra since the wind is hitting the ball for so long.  That extra 30 feet of downhill makes a big difference.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Note: This thread is 2436 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!