IGNORED

Music on the Course - When Did This Become a Thing?

wedge player
Note: This thread is 1058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Listening to K and M on the way home tonight. John mentioned he now plays music while golfing. It drowns out the sound of his drive hitting the ground, LOl

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm with @iacas on this one.  Not a fan of music on the course.  We had our mens league a few weeks back and a guy started playing country music...I just turned around and said, "Really?".  Talk about insult to injury.

7 minutes ago, uitar9 said:

Listening to K and M on the way home tonight. John mentioned he now plays music while golfing. It drowns out the sound of his drive hitting the ground, LOl

I was at a tournament down here and Maginnes was playing.  Saw he had a massive device attached to his cart and didn't know what it was.  He showed it to me...it was a bluetooth double speaker that clipped together (magnets).

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I wouldn't like it, but I haven't encountered it within a foursome I've played with. OTOH, my home course is next to a high school, and the football team had AM practices for four weeks before school started at MAX volume, some of it with crude language. It was awful, and I'm surprised nearby residents and/or city officials permitted it. Fortunately schools are open again, so the blaring has stopped again.

When at golf; I prefer the music of the spheres...the small, dimpled, variety.  None else need apply.  There are enough cursing cries, and deep exclaims, to fill the void.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, NCGolfer said:

I'm with @iacas on this one.  Not a fan of music on the course.  We had our mens league a few weeks back and a guy started playing country music...I just turned around and said, "Really?".  Talk about insult to injury.

I was at a tournament down here and Maginnes was playing.  Saw he had a massive device attached to his cart and didn't know what it was.  He showed it to me...it was a bluetooth double speaker that clipped together (magnets).

You gotta love free merchandise. 

A couple guys in my weekend group play music. Most of us walk so it rarely is a problem. However I do not like sharing a cart with one who plays music. Rather spend time with nature.

If I'm playing golf with others, I don't like music.    Even when I'm playing at a fast pace by myself, I don't listen to music.   If it is going to be a slow day and I'm waiting on another group for an extended period of time, I'll play some music.  I'll play it quiet enough so that I only hear in in my cart.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Just curious, for those who don't like music on the course, is it only when it's in your foursome or is it anytime you hear music?  I don't blare my music, you'd have to get right next to my cart to hear it and if you did it would be for fleeting seconds as I drive by.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

3 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Just curious, for those who don't like music on the course, is it only when it's in your foursome or is it anytime you hear music?  I don't blare my music, you'd have to get right next to my cart to hear it and if you did it would be for fleeting seconds as I drive by.  

I think it's more that most people aren't as courteous as you with their volume level. I can usually hear people's music from across a fairway or even from another hole. I don't really like for people to listen to music in my group when playing, but I can deal with it as long as it's not in my cart and the volume is low. I get  to play so few rounds with other people that I'm definitely much more flexible than I used to be about things like this.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 minute ago, jsgolfer said:

Yep, here too.  I'm trying to remember, but I don't think I've ever heard music loud enough from someone else's cart that I noticed it unless I was parked right next to them, or, as you said, driving close by and it was gone in 5 seconds.  I've certainly never heard music from a cart that wasn't part of my group, and I'm equally sure that no one, not in our group could possibly hear ours.

Of course, if we pull up to another group ahead of us on the tee, the music goes down/off.  But absent that type of unusual proximity, nobody would ever know that we even have music playing.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just now, David in FL said:

Yep, here too.  I'm trying to remember, but I don't think I've ever heard music loud enough from someone else's cart that I noticed it unless I was parked right next to them, or, as you said, driving close by and it was gone in 5 seconds.  I've certainly never heard music from a cart that wasn't part of my group, and I'm equally sure that no one, not in our group could possibly hear ours.

Of course, if we pull up to another group ahead of us on the tee, the music goes down/off.  But absent that type of unusual proximity, nobody would ever know that we even have music playing.

I do this too, if there are other people on the tee when I drive up to the green or near where I will be, I turn it down as well.

Edited by jsgolfer

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Ive played with a couple guys who like to stream music in their carts. TBH, it doesn't bother me at all. I think its kinda fun sometimes. Steady noise doesn't disturb me on the course. What would disturb me is somebody blasting music then suddenly shut it off while i was trying to play.

Might be different because of work.  I spend most of my day on phone, average about 80 calls a day, or talking to people face to face in loud kitchens and restaurants.  So when I get on the golf course during the week really want quiet.  

Don't mind it on the weekend so much as long as it is fairly low volume.  Don't like it when I am sitting on deck relaxing and hear competing music quite loudly on # 2 green (by my house) and # 13 fairway which runs parallel.  

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

If a foursome likes music, who cares if other groups can't hear it. And if one player likes music, just wear earbuds and drop one out when you need to hear others/something. But a group or individual shouldn't assume others like music on the golf course, I assume many clubs don't permit it (if they're told).

I should bring a snare drum with me onto the course and say that L/R paradiddles helps me relax. Takes 10 strokes off my game per round. . .

:-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

For me, hearing someone else's music (not just on the course, but any time) is like smelling someone else's cologne.  It's pollution.  It's invading my space.  Why can't people just use ear buds?   Why blast it into the air where I have to hear it?  It's obnoxious. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I should bring a snare drum with me onto the course and say that L/R paradiddles helps me relax. Takes 10 strokes off my game per round. . .

:-D

As long as it didn't intrude on anyone else, I say knock yourself out!  :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Just now, Marty2019 said:

For me, hearing someone else's music (not just on the course, but any time) is like smelling someone else's cologne.  It's pollution.  It's invading my space.  Why can't people just use ear buds?   Why blast it into the air where I have to hear it?  It's obnoxious. 

Yep. 

People are doing this at the range now too. I bring ear plugs to tune out the music (and some of the obnoxious little kids that dads get stuck with).

Note: This thread is 1058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!