IGNORED

Is Golf More Mental or Physical?

Runnin
Note: This thread is 2358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf more mental or physical?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, is golf more of a physical or mental game?

• More physical.
    • More mental.

Clearly it's a lot of both, but I've always wondered that if golf is such a mental game, why do players only seem to practice the physical side.  And how does one even practice the mental side? 

I've known a few players, not that many, who didn't have the most athletic or orthodox swings but were really consistent and knew how to score.  Were they not better golfers than players with long, aesthetic but unreliable swings?   What do these players who learn just enough to hit playable shots know that most golfers don't?  

Comments?  Is the game in your head or in your hands, and how does your approach to improving at this game (or the mythical optimal approach) reflect your answer?

More physical for sure. Your swing is repeatable even if it is a bad swing. Improving your swing takes dedication and discipline. The only real mental part of the game is knowing your shot zones and tendencies are and game planning for those with your tee and approach shots.

Same for the short game. A repeatable good pitch, chip or putt takes physical practice. The mental part is the read.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

It’s almost entirely physical.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted "more physical", probably almost all as was said. I do believe that my mind and body can be out of sync; that I can create thoughts that affect my physical performance; and that visualization does help. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Obviously, you physically strike the ball or miss it. That's the goal. 

I guess I'm not even sure what we mean by "mental game". Do we mean basic things like picking the correct club for a given shot or reading a putt? Or do we mean things like a person's resolve, temperament and focus? The first is trivial. Even I can generally sort out which club I should use in a given situation. If its the second, I'm not sure how you'd "practice" it. 

Alternatively, maybe you'd define mental as simply the process of making decisions related to the game of golf. Would physical not simply be a reflection of the mental?

Not even close.  Physical.

If you want mental, play chess.  

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

4 hours ago, Runnin said:

Clearly it's a lot of both, but I've always wondered that if golf is such a mental game, why do players only seem to practice the physical side.  And how does one even practice the mental side? 

I've known a few players, not that many, who didn't have the most athletic or orthodox swings but were really consistent and knew how to score.  Were they not better golfers than players with long, aesthetic but unreliable swings?   What do these players who learn just enough to hit playable shots know that most golfers don't?  

Comments?  Is the game in your head or in your hands, and how does your approach to improving at this game (or the mythical optimal approach) reflect your answer?

Both, but more physical.

To play well you need a strong physical foundation, then I'd say a winning attitude, good swing thoughts and a good and consistent tempo etc.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I cant put a percentage on it, but I think its a blend of both. Your mind controls your body so... The golf swing isn't a reactionary thing like catching a football or swinging at a pitch in baseball where you're relying on athletic instinct.  The ball is on the ground, just waiting for you to pummel it and nothing happens until you do. Its static thing and you control the starts and stops.  So having a fouced mind is important. We wouldn't ask for silence as we swing if thought processes weren't important. 

• Upvote 1

I couldn't even start to imagine how in golf, one can choose between the two as the mental and physical are very intertwined.  I'd lean to mental frankly.  But it comes down to how you interpret what you consider the mental aspect.  If it's strictly just strategy, etc, then it's not a big deal, if it's the concentration and focus aspect also, then it suddenly becomes a major factor.

edit:  ack - G-Val just beat me to it

Edited by rehmwa
  • Like 1

Bill - 

Golf is physical. I think people have this illusion that it is mental because we're hitting a stationary object. Executing a full swing, pitch, chip, and putting stroke are all physical motions.

A lot of the mental aspects in golf exist in other sports IMO. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

This has been discussed many times in other posts, but it's pretty much all physical.  You can have the strongest mental player in the world, if he can't swing a club properly, he's not going to be any good.  You have to be able to swing a club consistently, before the mental aspect even means anything. Now when you play for money or tournaments and wilt under pressure, you might consider that mental failure, but you still have to be able to swing the club correctly if you want to play really well.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I am going to say it is mostly physical.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 hours ago, iacas said:

It’s almost entirely physical.

Dustin Johnson certainly favors this, which I believe as well.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

A little surprised people are so quick to discount the mental side.  No one answered why it is that some people with ugly, limited swings can regularly score better than golfer whose physical game clearly looks better?

Why do good players every hit bad shots?  Why do putters get the yips?  Why can't I manipulate my ball flight at will on the course the way I can on the practice tee.  The physical side of my game clearly knows how to hit every shot I could ever need?

Of course, the physical side is the only side some can claim they understand. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

If you want mental, play chess.  

It takes more mental to swing a golf club correctly each time, than it does to physically pick up a chess piece and move it to another square.  :-P

By most of the simplified arguments here so far, I'd have to conclude that chess is also nearly all physical.

Bill - 

Well, you have to be mentally aware of your movements just like you have to be sufficiently aware to stay in your lane when driving.

In the least you have to jog up your proprioception required for a golf swing. If the physical body had lights out memory then players would never need to take a practice swing. 

Good players hit bad shots (not that often), when they lose some aspect of the physical awareness of some mechanical aspect. It's like even good vehicles drivers drift from the lane a bit every now and then when attention drifts off (stop texting while driving.. ). In golf the slight drift could be as bad as ball contact at the hosel.  But at the end of the day, physical practice makes deliberate concentration less necessary. Gives a wider margin of error to make a good mechanical move.  

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

9 minutes ago, Runnin said:

A little surprised people are so quick to discount the mental side.  No one answered why it is that some people with ugly, limited swings can regularly score better than golfer whose physical game clearly looks better?

Why do good players every hit bad shots?  Why do putters get the yips?  Why can't I manipulate my ball flight at will on the course the way I can on the practice tee.  The physical side of my game clearly knows how to hit every shot I could ever need?

Many responses stated that it depends what you consider mental versus physical?

Good players with ugly swings are still able to repeat that ugly swing and very likely have the adequate keys (5SK) for their playing level.

9 minutes ago, Runnin said:

Not really. If they did, then they'd have the golden egg of golf. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

8 minutes ago, Runnin said:

Why does a tennis pro periodically double fault, why does the best place kicker  in the NFL occasionally miss a chip shot, why does a major league pitcher throw it in the dirt?  

Of course, playing any sport requires some concentration, but simply striking a golfball is no more cerebral than throwing a baseball or kicking a soccer ball.  There are those on this site that will attest to my horrible golf swing.  I can play at a reasonable level, not because of any mental acuity, but rather because my physical ability and hand/eye coordination allows me to return the clubface to the golfball with a degree of consistency, in spite of imperfect mechanics.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!