IGNORED

What type of golfer are you?

Seals
Note: This thread is 2367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Laid back golfer here. A lot of my rounds are played with my 3-year-old in the cart with me, so if I can withstand "Daddy look at this bug" in the middle of my backswing, I promise there is not much you are going to be able to do to worry me. Walk on my line, who cares, honestly, your footprint has a good a chance of knocking it online and into the hole as it does knocking it out. Walking while I am hitting, good, get to your ball so we don't hold up play.

The only thing that probably bothers me is playing behind a group who sits beside the 18th green and puts everything away. Had this happen last week and up until this, I had never gotten upset on the golf course (except at my moron decisions). Seriously, the group said about 15 yards from the 18th green while they added up the score, cleaned their clubs and then up everything in their pockets away. That was the longest 5 minutes of my life.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, dzclarkcpa said:

Laid back golfer here. A lot of my rounds are played with my 3-year-old in the cart with me, so if I can withstand "Daddy look at this bug" in the middle of my backswing, I promise there is not much you are going to be able to do to worry me. Walk on my line, who cares, honestly, your footprint has a good a chance of knocking it online and into the hole as it does knocking it out. Walking while I am hitting, good, get to your ball so we don't hold up play.

The only thing that probably bothers me is playing behind a group who sits beside the 18th green and puts everything away. Had this happen last week and up until this, I had never gotten upset on the golf course (except at my moron decisions). Seriously, the group said about 15 yards from the 18th green while they added up the score, cleaned their clubs and then up everything in their pockets away. That was the longest 5 minutes of my life.

Sometimes I wonder what’s going on in their minds that they can’t just move 20 yards away to do all that stuff?

Common courtesy seems to disappear when they’re in a group playing golf?

One time, I couldn’t see the green as I was hitting from a deep trench. My partner beckoned me, and I took a swing hitting the green. When I climbed out, I noticed some angry golfers staring back towards us. To this day, I wonder if my partner did that on purpose just to drive them off the green? He answers “Of course, not” with some hesitation. :whistle:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

As long as I'm not worried about accidentally hitting you with my club or ball, then I'm ok.  Do anything, say anything, stand anywhere else.  It's no big deal.

Bill - 

I don't give a crap how one behaves around me in terms of affecting my ability to play the game: talking during swings, distracting, walking over lines, casting shadows, playing out of turn (I prefer ready golf), any of that and more.

Now playing with annoying people is just... annoying. Most of the time I can still enjoy my round by just writing them off. But sometimes, I can't. Very uncommon though.

I hate to stereotype, but college kids are the worst people to golf with... and I look like I'm in college still. So slow, think they're pros, and swing a lick, line up every putt from 2 or 3 sides. OMG HIT THE BALL.

50% of me going out to play golf is to just be outside away from computers and concrete. I like to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. That's the type of golfer I am. That said, I don't play slow. Ever.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

As long as I'm not worried about accidentally hitting you with my club or ball, then I'm ok.  Do anything, say anything, stand anywhere else.  It's no big deal.

Did you mean "accidentally" or just accidentally? :-D

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

With the limited amount of practice and play time that I have I do not get hung up at someone talking or any distant noise.  As others have said, a loud unexpected noise will mess up my swing.  I try to follow normal golf etiquette but have played with some golfers that take their game so seriously that I never play with them again.  An example, I got my company to pay for a foursome at a good private course and one golfer constantly complained about where myself or another in the foursome was standing as he was about to swing.  He made a point of stepping out of the tee box and saying to me that he was serious and meant it and that I was messing up his round.   Never again. 

Edited by NJpatbee

5 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

With the limited amount of practice and play time that I have I do not get hung up at someone talking or any distant noise.  As others have said, a loud unexpected noise will mess up my swing.  I try to follow normal golf etiquette but have played with some golfers that take their game so seriously that I never play with them again.  An example, I got my company to pay for a foursome at a good private course and one golfer constantly complained about where myself or another in the foursome was standing as he was about to swing.  He made a point of stepping out of the tee box and saying to me that he was serious and meant it and that I was messing up his round.   Never again. 

I feel like a large part of golf is missing when you effectively turn it into a "solo" round like this. Unfortunately, I know a few golfers like this, and they rarely pair up randomly any more, and no one else really helps them look for balls or anything for fear of reprisals. They're pretty much playing with their own group of other equally OCD golfers or by themselves.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

On 10/1/2017 at 5:06 PM, bones75 said:

Idk if this is one of the answers you are looking for, but I like to be the sh#$! talking golfer. Those games are my favorite. Likely because these were many of my best memories from playing w/ teammates in high school. Of course only to friends who are okay with it. When playing w/ one of my buddies and we would get paired w/ a random 2-some, we would often get comments that they really loved playing w/ us because of all the crap we gave each other (all w/ huge grins). Nothing better then getting a great line in where one can only laugh and say ouch.... except when that is followed by a stellar shot, which is then followed by minutes of self praise which the other guy has to endure. It's quite possible I like the zingers better than the actual golf.

This x 100...we'd get along pretty well. 

Playing a few weeks ago with my group, we're at a point on the course where two tee boxes are right next to each other to the point where we can easily hear the other group near us.  One of their players lets one rip with his driver followed immediately by a loud "CRACK!"  and an even louder "F@&K!"...only to be perfectly summed up by his buddy who chimed in:  "That'll play nicely..."  Man, we were in stitches laughing at that one.  The guy who hit the shot didn't acknowledge us, but the comic did with a big smile and thumbs up haha. 

• Like 3

- Bill

I am a relaxed golfer who is out to have some fun with his buddies.

We chat it up, rank on each other and have fun.  Nothing bad like stomping a ball into the ground or yelling on back swing.  We can overlook the little things.  Why?  Cause we are not on tour playing for a Million $$$$.  Wish we were but we are not.  Just some friends enjoying our Sat morn round.

Edited by Vinny Cap
  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I'm a mix of relaxed and serious based on who I am playing with. I can be serious and have proper etiquette on the course, but there is a wide skill gap in my normal 4some, so sometimes things get a little wild, occasionally clubs get thrown (not by me) but nothing that is damaging towards the course or slowing down groups behind us or anything.  

A couple of the guys dont care about the score, are happy when they get bogies and thrilled when they get pars. A couple of us practice and work to get better. Its a good balance in our 4some.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Depends on the game. But my biggest gripe is, people who can't finish a sentence without using profanity.

Otherwise, if I have time I'll play with anyone.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

I guess it depends.  There are 2 golf versions of me.  

The 'everyday' me and the 'competitive' me.  

If I'm out with buddies and we're playing for fun or for a small amount of money or something... I'm the quiet guy who stands back and lets everybody else throw the one-liners around.  I'm not as quick-witted as a lot of my friends are... but every once in awhile, I'll throw one out there.  That's usually when the biggest reactions come because I'm the least likely in our group to do that.  Still... that's my favorite time to golf.  When it's just buddies and we're all just having fun.  

If I'm playing in a tournament... I like to focus.  I'll still have fun and I'm never the guy who anybody would complain about playing with (at least I hope I'm not)... but, I like to keep my mind on the task at hand.  I find that if I let my mind wander even a little bit, I'm likely to have a double jump up and bite me.  I've been trying really hard to avoid doubles whenever possible because they're my score killer.

With either version of me... noise doesn't bother me (unless someone is banging pots & pans as I'm starting my downswing or something).  I also don't worry about shadows from others or if anybody steps in my line.  It happens.  It's never been intentional when someone has done it.  I can't ever remember a putt where I looked back afterwards and said to myself... "if that guy didn't just walk on my line, it would have gone in"... so, walk where you may.  I'm not gonna say anything unless it's habitual.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

I'm somewhere in the middle between relaxed and serious. I like a bit of fun banter in the foursome, swearing doesn't bother me, don't mind a little talking/noise (as long as it isn't loud or sharp right in my backswing). Sometimes I'll drop a club after my follow through after a particularly bad shot (but never throw one). Ready golf should be must-play for most courses. 

However, for some reason walking on my line really bothers me. I can't explain why - it's not even that your spike mark is going to bother my ball (might actually make it better). Also, don't be a close talker. That isn't really golf-specific, more life in general.   

I am more of a casual golfer. I don't get super competitive in a casual round. I tend to be more into my own game versus how I am doing against other golfers.

There are not many things that will bother me on the course.

• Like 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'm the kind of.golfer thats surprised Taylormade hasn't sponsored me and decked me out in all new gear. If that Paige chick can get on PXG I should at least get a M1 and a set of p790s lol

8 hours ago, Aguirre said:

I'm the type of golfer who really loves to talk about sandwiches.

Hmmm.. Not sure if that's a play on words but, that reminds me of a fellow we used to play with.

He's of Asian descent, we got to the next tee box and he says "I forgot my "sandwich!".. "I forgot my "sandwich!" and runs back towards the last green. We were looking at each other with the WTF? look and then we realized... Oh, a SAND WEDGE.. he forgot his SAND WEDGE.   LOL

• Like 1

In my Bag Boy XLT-15 bag:
Cobra 10.5* Speed Pro S driver
Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

On 10/6/2017 at 10:01 AM, saevel25 said:

I am more of a casual golfer. I don't get super competitive in a casual round. I tend to be more into my own game versus how I am doing against other golfers.

There are not many things that will bother me on the course.

This.

Note: This thread is 2367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!