IGNORED

What type of golfer are you?

Seals
Note: This thread is 2340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 10/7/2017 at 12:48 PM, CT207 said:

Hmmm.. Not sure if that's a play on words but, that reminds me of a fellow we used to play with.

He's of Asian descent, we got to the next tee box and he says "I forgot my "sandwich!".. "I forgot my "sandwich!" and runs back towards the last green. We were looking at each other with the WTF? look and then we realized... Oh, a SAND WEDGE.. he forgot his SAND WEDGE.   LOL

Well, I'm not Asian, Cuban (Saturday). Hope you're next round goes well, Italian (Tuesday).

"Witty golf quote."

On 9/30/2017 at 7:48 PM, Seals said:

I think of myself as the casual golfer. Don't care if you are moving slightly in my swing, or make a small noise (Coughing, moving arm) and generally like to keep it light. Played with a guy that needed absolute silence in order to hit. Not saying that is wrong, just different. What sort of golfer are you?

I'm a casual golfer who plays by the rules.  That may sound like an oxymoron, but it's how I approach the game.  I'm not bothered by quiet talking or small movements when I'm playing a stroke.  Most of the time when someone apologizes for it, I never even realized that they were talking.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

I'm a casual golfer who plays by the rules.  That may sound like an oxymoron, but it's how I approach the game.  I'm not bothered by quiet talking or small movements when I'm playing a stroke.  Most of the time when someone apologizes for it, I never even realized that they were talking.

Makes sense, seems like if they don't it's not even "casual golf". It would be something else?

On 10/11/2017 at 1:14 AM, Aguirre said:

Well, I'm not Asian, Cuban (Saturday). Hope you're next round goes well, Italian (Tuesday).

Okay, where can I get the secret encoder ring to decrypt this message? :-D

• Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Difficult to define but I'd say the best adjective for me would be a moderately serious golfer.  I play for fun but make an effort to observe the rules but am not a rules Nazi,  I behave on the course so as to not endanger anyone or cause them to not enjoy the game, I have a temper but keep a lid on it when on the course, and I make an effort to spend time on the practice facility trying to be the best I can be.  But most important I know I will have bad shots and bad rounds but recognize that being on the course is still better than my best days working for living.

• Like 1

Butch

I guess I’m semi casual? I as brought up to be completely still and quiet when another player is hitting, to make sure I’m not casting my shadow on someone’s line, not step/walk on their line, and to stand well away perpendicular/front. I hold the flag and look down when I tend a pin, so as not to distract the player putting.

Distant noises/talking/movement or shadows don’t bother me, it happens. But if other players in my group are carrying on a conversation or making noise close by (on/near a green), I won’t say anything, but I may wait until they stop before I hit.

When folks cast a shadow or step on my line, I assume it’s inadvertent and just go ahead and putt.

Standing in my line of sight is the one I routinely overlook. I played with several guys this summer who stood directly behind me on the tee, or while I was putting, something I wouldn’t do (except putting in a scramble). I think it’s well intended on the tee, we’re all trying to keep an eye on each other’s shots in case the hitter loses sight of it - though that’s just as easily done from perpendicular/front IMO. Fortunately they’re far enough back that I just ignore it and hit.

It’s just a game...

Edited by Midpack
  • Like 2

On 10/12/2017 at 10:53 AM, Fourputt said:

I would fall into this category.  I play by the rules, but am oblivious someone is talking during my swing, unless it is a sudden loud sound.  While I do follow the rules for strokes and penalties, as for the etiquette or some non-stroke penalizing rules, I am not a stickler.  It doesn't bother me who tees off first or who putts first.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Im a casual golfer that doesnt take his game too seriously. If i play a bad shot or slice one into the tree's i you'd normally find me laughing at myself. We have a saying over here for when things go wrong "you can either laugh or cry, but its always better to laugh".

Banter is good too. Golf should be fun so if you cant take the p*ss out of yourself and your mates then what can you do?

• Like 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I'm a reckless and showy golfer. I always go for the pin, green, carrying over obstacles, cutting dog legs, trying shape shots etc even when that's not the smart thing to do. I don't care for the score as much as I care about making the magic stroke. I can't help it - playing safe around the course would greatly improve my score but I would find that so boring. I'm the same in pool, darts and other games based on technique (rather than physical athleticism) - I sacrifice score for the trick shot. Some people appreciate it, others feel the urge to instruct me how to play smart.

1W, 3W, 3H (7.5, 14.5, 18)     Callaway X2 Hot Pro

4I - PW (21 - 45)                     Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal

AW, SW, LW (50, 54, 58)        Cleveland 588

Putter                                      Odyssey Versa

One who is living in the past and still thinks he is a single digit player. I can't wrap my head around the fact that I can not longer shoot in the 70's most of the time. I always took pride in the fact I could play this game with a modicum of skill. So I guess I am just a hack now who occasionally gets upset when he hits a stinker of a shot. 

Fast...:whistle:

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I’m a casual golfer.   Cargo shorts: acceptable.  Quiet talking: acceptable.   However, I MUST keep my own score for myself.  I hate it when I play with friends that don’t keep accurate scores and just want to hit a ball.   I like keeping score for myself, not to see who’s “better,” but again, just to keep track of my own progress to improve my game.  

Edited by TRACON

I am the “returning” golfer. Loved the game but stopped playing for a long time. Now I am approaching 60 years old and I want to start playing regularly again. Just for fun. I consider regularly to be at least once or twice a month, plus the driving range as much as I can.

If I can get my game consistently below 100 I will ge happy.

I play as serious as the guy I'm paired with. Love being ultra competitive but always lose..ha.

Just can't stand hypocrites.

The other day I was following the last group of 5 in a mens tourney. They screamed/hoot/hollered after every shot. Then one tee box they were genuinely whining about a family playing a fairway over that had some kind of loud/excited kids. "We should notify the ranger. Unacceptable. Control your kids."

Self awareness people..all I need.

Im pretty laid back and fun going on the course. I talk alot of shit when i play with guys i know, though. Better bring a full wallet and wear a cup to protect those balls! 

Noise in itself it bother me at all. The space shuttle could be taking off and it wouldnt bother me long as it was there before i start my swing. But if the noise suddenly stopped mid swing it would disturb me. 

I'm pretty invested. I practice fairly seriously and play often, half the time by myself. I enjoy playing with different types of golfers as I think there's a time to be serious and reserved and a time to play loosely and casual. I mostly just try to match the atmosphere of the group of people I'm playing with.

But as far as my favorite style of golf to play, I love playing competitive rounds with friends, it's a good mix between comradery and competition.

Edited by toast

Note: This thread is 2340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!