IGNORED

The 2017 Newport Cup at Talamore Resort (Pinehurst, NC)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Sign me up when there is a space free!

I'll add you to the list, but you don't really seem to have read this thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I'll add you to the list, but you don't really seem to have read this thread.

I'll read through it, now. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

@Lihu-I can not speak for others but you were posting in the bogey golfer thread and suddenly after you quit devoting a lot of time to golf you are a single digit golfer now?

I would really ask for some sort of proof if I was @mvmac or the red Team because I do not believe it.

Very cool that you will be within driving distance of me. Unfortunately the wedding anniversary and yearly trip back to where we were married means I will not be able to stop by.-I know a lot of you would have loved to have met me and maybe buy me a beer. Ha ha ha. :beer:

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

12 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

@Lihu-I can not speak for others but you were posting in the bogey golfer thread and suddenly after you quit devoting a lot of time to golf you are a single digit golfer now?

I would really ask for some sort of proof if I was @mvmac or the red Team because I do not believe it.

Sure, I expect this. . . that's why I said "if I pass a qualifier". I'm totally willing to do that.

Going from high bogey golf to single digit (or an 8 to 10 as I am currently claiming) in 5 years is a little difficult to believe, I guess? I really have no idea if it should be believable or not?

Very cool that you will be within driving distance of me. Unfortunately the wedding anniversary and yearly trip back to where we were married means I will not be able to stop by.-I know a lot of you would have loved to have met me and maybe buy me a beer. Ha ha ha. :beer:

That's too bad. I've often wanted to put a face to the comments. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Going from high bogey golf to single digit (or an 8 to 10 as I am currently claiming) in 5 years is a little difficult to believe, I guess? I really have no idea if it should be believable or not?

Lihu, I like you just fine and always have, but it wasn't that long ago that I got you 60 some yards with your driver at the LSW commercial shoot.

I'm a wee bit skeptical of your recent handicap index too, if I'm being honest and blunt. I'm also glad that I don't have to choose you or not choose you, as you're @mvmac's concern there.

If you're an 8 or whatever, play with some of the guys who are out that way and can verify. Pretty simple. Being single digits doesn't mean you have to be a god at golf - you can average 84 or so and be an 8 index, after all… and so maybe it's completely on the up and up. It just seems a wee bit unlikely given the past.

If you're an 8, prove it, and congratulations. It's a nice index to have achieved.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

Lihu, I like you just fine and always have, but it wasn't that long ago that I got you 60 some yards with your driver at the LSW commercial shoot.

I'm a wee bit skeptical of your recent handicap index too, if I'm being honest and blunt. I'm also glad that I don't have to choose you or not choose you, as you're @mvmac's concern there.

If you're an 8 or whatever, play with some of the guys who are out that way and can verify. Pretty simple. Being single digits doesn't mean you have to be a god at golf - you can average 84 or so and be an 8 index, after all… and so maybe it's completely on the up and up. It just seems a wee bit unlikely given the past.

If you're an 8, prove it, and congratulations. It's a nice index to have achieved.

Sure thing. I'll wait for the next outing opportunity, or any chance to play. Thanks for the chance.

As I recall, you only got me 20 yards of carry at the clinic. Of course, your recommendation to me to use a more standard shaft (from the 140gm steel one) gained another 10 or more. :-)

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Let's hear from prior participants about their experiences from prior Newport Cups.

1. What surprised you most about the Newport Cup competition?

2. Which day/format was your least favorite? And which was your favorite?

3. Which player from the opposing team would you least want to face in a winner take all situation?

4. What did you think about the handicapping of the matches? Would you rather get or give strokes?

5. Which player was the fastest as far as pace?

6. Without naming names, what was the longest average drive stat for an individual player?  Shortest average drive stat for a single player?

7. Who could drink the most without visible problems?

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Let's hear from prior participants about their experiences from prior Newport Cups.

3. Which player from the opposing team would you least want to face in a winner take all situation?

4. What did you think about the handicapping of the matches? Would you rather get or give strokes?

6. Without naming names, what was the longest average drive stat for an individual player?  Shortest average drive stat for a single player?

@jamo @saevel25 @DaveP043 @GolfLug @jbishop15 @SavvySwede

@mvmac @Golfingdad @Bechambo @mchepp @Big C @Club Rat @kpaulhus

7 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

OK, I'll give this a shot:

1. What surprised you most about the Newport Cup competition? I would have to say the biggest surprise was the SWAG.

2. Which day/format was your least favorite? And which was your favorite? Favorite was singles, least favorite was alternate shot.  That said, if I'm fortunate enough to get picked again, I'm really looking forward to giving alt-shot another go.  It was mainly my least favorite because I stunk at it. :P

3. Which player from the opposing team would you least want to face in a winner take all situation? Vishal @GolfLug ... because he has a funky looking swing and I just don't trust it! ;)

4. What did you think about the handicapping of the matches? Would you rather get or give strokes? I liked that most of the indices were close enough that there was very little giving or getting in my matches.  No strokes makes it feel more "real" to me.

5. Which player was the fastest as far as pace?  Don't know ... probably @kpaulhus.  I know that after being scolded by the club pro in the morning for going slightly over 4 hours in fourball, that myself, @Bechambo, @saevel25 and, I think @SavvySwede finished our lead-off foursomes afternoon round in under 3 hours.

6. Without naming names, what was the longest average drive stat for an individual player?  Shortest average drive stat for a single player?  Don't know any numbers, but the longest has to be @saevel25, probably followed by @kpaulhus and @jbishop15.  Don't know who the shortest was ... could've been me actually.

7. Who could drink the most without visible problems?  Gotta be @kpaulhus from the west and maybe @DaveP043 in the east?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

...Don't know who the shortest was ... could've been me actually.

Hmmm... Game Golf says 262 yards for your driver.  And you might be the shortest?

Brian Kuehn

46 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

@iacas & @mvmac setting up the surprise swag from Linksoul and PING was totally a shocker :) 

Besides that, the feel of a real competition between very good players, were everyone is trying their best. 

Foursomes, Alternate shot, was my favorite. It is just a completely different style than anything else. Four-ball is just a twist on normal play. Alternate shot is a completely different beast.

From the outcome of the matches it would be @mchepp. He was the most consistent player all week. 

Since the players are better players I think it's a slim advantage. I rather get a few strokes rather than give strokes.

I have no clue. I didn't pay attention. 

300+ with the driver ;)
280 considering all clubs off the tee

Note, the ball traveled much farther in Arizona. One of the surprising things I noticed. 

Shortest drive state, I have no clue. 

No clue. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

7 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Hmmm... Game Golf says 262 yards for your driver.  And you might be the shortest?

Might be.  A lot of good players out there.  Maybe the older guys didn't hit it as far, but I didn't play against them.  (I did outdrive Dave a couple of times last week, so I know I can at least keep up with him :))  But Matt, Jamieson, Vince, Hunter, Barrett, Kyle and Colin could all bomb it.

54 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

3. Which player from the opposing team would you least want to face in a winner take all situation? Vishal @GolfLug ... because he has a funky looking swing and I just don't trust it! 

I didn't play in the NC, but have had the pleasure of playing with @GolfLug several times, if you walked up to the tee and saw V address the ball, you would think you would kick his butt all over the course, but other than his current chipping woes, he can hit the ball well.  V would be the shark on the range waiting for some mark to come up and offer him strokes in a match and then wax him.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

1. The thing that surprised me the most about the competition was how comfortable I felt. I took to the energy of it like a fish in water. When Vince and I were getting banana pancaked in our first matches, I remained upbeat. Was happy about that. 

2. My least favorite was singles because @Golfingdad whooped my ass! But I liked all the formats. No complaints there. My favorite day was probably Friday. 

3. Again, @Golfingdad. I aint tangling with Drew again. 

4. Handicapping was good. Thought it was fairly done. Rather get strokes, of course! 

5. I didn't pay much attention to others pace, just my own. If I focus on pace of play, it distracts me. 

6. I'd say the best average was low 300s by a few of us. The shortest was probably around 220.

7. We didn't do too much drinking, but I'm pretty hardy when it comes to alcohol. But if I had to guess, I'd say @kpaulhus could down a few beers. 

• Upvote 2

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

There was no surprise. It was simply a team completion amongst very good players.

No variables between least or favorable. I enjoy team formats more than individual competitions.
Team events create a greater motivation to play your best.

That's a tough question, given players did not face everyone. Those that I golfed against proved
to be fierce competitors.

Honestly, if the matches had been played as "Scratch" the outcome would most likely the same.
In the small field of players of very good players, the competition was mainly golfing on an unfamiliar track
"Moon Valley" and managing your own game.

Pace is generally different in any competition over a casual round. Pace was a non issue.

I'll claim the Shortest stat in this category. At 63 years of age, I've lost a few yards. But, I "Dazzled" everyone with my short game.  ;-)

7. Who could drink the most without visible problems.
I'll claim this honor also. @Golfingdad hooked me up with some super secret "Mojave Cacti-Juice" which gave me a slight edge over the East Coast players.   :beer:  

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1. What surprised you most about the Newport Cup competition? The Final Score

2. LWhich day/format was your least favorite? And which was your favorite? Loved all of it. I initially expected alternate shot to be stressful but wound up enjoying it quite a lot.

3. Which player from the opposing team would you least want to face in a winner take all situation? I shy away from no competitor ;-). @mchepp is tough though, hard to compete with a guy dropping 30ft bombs all week.

4. What did you think about the handicapping of the matches? Would you rather get or give strokes? Handicapping worked well. As long as it's only 2-3 strokes it doesn't seem to matter too much.

5. Which player was the fastest as far as pace? Would have been me if I didn't have to wipe the sweat off my arms and face every 30 seconds :-D.  Honestly though I have no idea.

6. Without naming names, what was the longest average drive stat for an individual player?  Shortest average drive stat for a single player? From 310 to 240 I'd guess

7. Who could drink the most without visible problems? Hard to say as everyone moderated themselves well. 

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

How much fun it was to meet everyone. We all got along great like we'd known each other for a while. 

The second day of 36 holes is a long day. None of the formats bother me although I prefer the team games to the individual one on one matches. My match with @DaveP043 was great but I prefer the team matches more than playing an individual match. 

All of the blue team was tough. @SavvySwede is very tough and never gives up, same could be said for @DaveP043 he battled me to the end and was very tough. 

There were not many strokes given so not much to go on here. Psychologically I always over think when I am getting a stroke from someone, like I can't lose this hole and it gets in the way of my mind. 

@kpaulhus. Sometimes that guy would be hitting his second shot before I hit my drive.

@saevel25 and @jbishop15 were really really long, like tour players I have played with long. I would say I am definitely one of the shortest. 

This was not a drinking crowd. @kpaulhus could hold a drink but if I were betting who could drink the most and not show it I would go with @DaveP043

• Upvote 1

Michael

Note: This thread is 2393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!