IGNORED

How Often Do You Hit the Sweet Spot? (Deprecated)

Midpack
Note: This thread is 2348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

29 minutes ago, Midpack said:

No idea what this meant...

I believe it means, you're really unlikely to hit the actual center of the club 72% of the time.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

The sweet spot?  That’s the part of the club where the grooves end out near the toe, right?  I hit it about 20% of the time.

On a 210 yard par three Drew hits it every time.  At least from what I have seen anyway.  ;-)  The rest of us, not so much.  I think people often confuse a shot feeling good with actually hitting the sweet spot.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Midpack said:

No idea what this meant...

It means you’re unaware of what “the sweet spot” is.

You must define it as anything that isn’t a top, bladed, shanked, off the toe chrome, etc.

The sweet spot is very very small. Technically speaking it’s a point. Not an area.

You don’t come close to hitting it 72% of the time.

I know this sounds harsh. But you’re not using the definitions as others are, so your results are meaningless.

I probably hit the sweet spot 8% of the time. Others - single digit handicappers here - gave similar and often smaller estimates.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't hit the sweet spot of my putter 72% of the time ;-)

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

I think the answer is pretty subjective.  My idea of hitting the "sweet spot" is when I can't feel any twisting at impact, it feels like the ball is soft, and the ball seems to jump off the club and perform exactly like my best possible shot with that club.  

In an 18 hole round, there are maybe an average of 36 full swings.  I'm just working from memory, but I think that I usually have about 3 or 4 shots per round that have that feel of hitting the sweet spot. 

I play game improvement clubs, so maybe my "sweet spot" is a little larger than it is for other people. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, iacas said:

You must define it as anything that isn’t a top, bladed, shanked, off the toe chrome, etc.

The sweet spot is very very small. Technically speaking it’s a point. Not an area.

I know this sounds harsh. But you’re not using the definitions as others are, so your results are meaningless.

I probably hit the sweet spot 8% of the time. Others - single digit handicappers here - gave similar and often smaller estimates.

Fair enough. Though the terms are often (mis)used interchangeably, I guess I should have said solid strikes instead of “center.” However my definition obviously wasn’t as overly broad as you suggest above. Thanks for the clarification...

Interesting dynamic on this forum.

Edited by Midpack

28 minutes ago, Midpack said:

Fair enough. Though the terms are often (mis)used interchangeably, I guess I should have said solid strikes instead of “center.” However my definition obviously wasn’t as overly broad as you suggest above. Thanks for the clarification...

Interesting dynamic on this forum.

Ah, I assumed the large portion of your pie was shanks since the colors were the same.

We're about the same handicap, but somehow, I managed to shoot 42 on 9 holes yesterday with 0 solid strikes. I also shot 82 and 83 last week with more of the same crappy shots. Sigh, if I could bring my range game onto the course I'd be a very happy camper indeed! 

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If you really want to see how often you hit the sweet spot find a set of old 1960 blades and play a round with them. No one hits the sweet spot more than 1 or 2 times a round unless they are close to scratch or better. Clubs today are so forgiving you can miss the sweet spot and still get your normal yardage. I still play in the 80's most of the time and I doubt I hit the sweet spot more than once a week and I play three times a week. 

Usually once or twice per round.  Many rounds with none.  Not even sure I've ever had a round with more than two.  Typically it occurs in one of two situations:  (a) a back pin position where you are dead behind the green; or, (b) into the wind where I'm playing an extra couple of clubs and the ball is untouched by it.  :-)

Edited by tdiii

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Question: How would I know if I have hit the sweet spot? 

I'm thinking (guessing) I hit it one out of ten times, but when people who are much better than I am say they hit it less than that, I'm thinking maybe I'm mistaken, and it leaves me to wonder, how does one know that they have hit the sweet spot? 

Edited by Marty2019

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

I'm thinking (guessing) I hit it one out of ten times, but when people who are much better than I am say they hit it less than that, I'm thinking maybe I'm mistaken, and it leaves me to wonder, how does one know that they have hit the sweet spot?

Better players are more attuned to small mishits.

Missing the actual sweet spot can still feel good and work out. Some GI irons mask the slight mishits, and higher handicappers are less attuned. Double difficulty to detect.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

It's this perfect, buttery Mizuno feeling (even if you aren't hitting Mizunos) that feels like the ball doesn't exist and your iron is made of the softest alloy forged by the god Vulcan himself. Angels sing in the heavens above when you do it and John Woo releases some doves. I haven't hit one like that in a long time...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)
12 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

6 hours ago, billchao said:

It's this perfect, buttery Mizuno feeling (even if you aren't hitting Mizunos) that feels like the ball doesn't exist and your iron is made of the softest alloy forged by the god Vulcan himself. Angels sing in the heavens above when you do it and John Woo releases some doves. I haven't hit one like that in a long time...

Against my better judgement...

iacas is a pro who hits the exact sweet spot about 3 times in a round - 8% of about 36 full swings over 18 holes. However, I’d guess he has way, way more solid strikes that feel almost butter soft in a round.

Clearly I should have said “solid strikes” in the OP instead of “sweet spot” or even “center” even though many golf media/publications (mis)use the terms somewhat interchangeably.

Edited by Midpack

7 hours ago, billchao said:

Speaking of that ... I hit precisely one ball on the range yesterday with @Pretzel‘s 7 iron (MP-4) and I’ve already begun trying to talk myself into needing a set. :P

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Midpack said:

Against my better judgement...

iacas is a pro who hits the exact sweet spot about 3 times in a round - 8% of about 36 full swings over 18 holes. However, I’d guess he has way, way more solid strikes that feel almost butter soft in a round.

Clearly I should have said “solid strikes” in the OP instead of “sweet spot” or even “center” even though many golf media/publications (mis)use the terms somewhat interchangeably.

I think even better, the question could be worded, "How often does it feel like you hit the sweet spot?"   Or, "How often do you think you have hit the sweet spot?"  That way, there's no wrong answer. 

To qualify my response as much as possible, I think I hit about 3 or 4 shots per round that feel like I have hit the sweet spot.  Did I hit the exact 1 millimeter in diameter spot on the club face that fits the exact definition of the exact sweet spot?  Who knows?  Who cares? 

I think all anyone was saying @midpack is that you be realistic. 72% is almost not realistic for Iron Byron.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

Speaking of that ... I hit precisely one ball on the range yesterday with @Pretzel‘s 7 iron (MP-4) and I’ve already begun trying to talk myself into needing a set. :P

Yeah.  I've hit a handful with @MacDutch's MP-4 6-iron.  I really wish I could talk myself into them too!

If you do come up with any reasonable argument to convince yourself, please share it with me!  :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

9 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Yeah.  I've hit a handful with @MacDutch's MP-4 6-iron.  I really wish I could talk myself into them too!

If you do come up with any reasonable argument to convince yourself, please share it with me!  :beer:

How about, life is short, what are you waiting for?  Money that goes un-spent is completely wasted!  Why are you sitting around dreaming of having something when you can actually have it?  Grab life by the horns!  The time for enjoyment is NOW. 

Edited by Marty2019

Note: This thread is 2348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!