IGNORED

Not hit balls for 2 weeks

Davie81
Note: This thread is 2282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it just me or does anyone else have it when they don’t hit balls for 1-2 weeks that they feel like they’ve lost their swing a bit? Starting to think my muscle memory is shocking.

It feels weird when I haven’t hit in a while. Sometimes it doesn’t affect my swing, sometimes it does.As it is I have 3 weeks to go before im back home and golfing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

W/ re: to golf, a good friend once counseled me: "it comes and it goes". Since he is an accomplished player, I think about his simple words of advice often.

I believe my very first post on this 'site was about "losing your swing" (or something to this effect). I think you can lose your swing from one day to the next if you don't trust your swing or know your swing. Something I learned recently from my instruction was to flush bad shots and just trust my swing. The first day back after a long lay off is going to be a bit rough, but you should (and I should too) keep those doubts at arm's length. The swing comes back as long as you don't start tinkering.     

I am of the opinion that a little time away from golf should be considered a viable practice regimine. A rejuvenating process so to speak. 

I've taken time away from the my play, and practice just because I had become complacent. Went fishing instead. Cleared my head from the game. Once the itch to golf returned, I eased back into the game slowly with some drills, then play, and became, for a while, a better golfer than I was before those fishing trips. 

I think it's a mistake to think one can pick up right where they left off after being away from the game for a while. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

19 hours ago, Davie81 said:

Is it just me or does anyone else have it when they don’t hit balls for 1-2 weeks that they feel like they’ve lost their swing a bit? Starting to think my muscle memory is shocking.

I do the 5 minute practice every day, so taking 2 weeks off isn’t an issue. In fact, taking one week off at a time is good for muscle recovery.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

10 hours ago, Patch said:

I think it's a mistake to think one can pick up right where they left off after being away from the game for a while. 

Agree and It is concerning me. I was injured in a chain of circumstances beginning 9/18/17 (right after shooting, for me, great rounds of golf). No golf since.Lots of med and PT treatment. So, I do this: Read TST forums religiously to keep golf-oriented; review my notes of instruction and practice, what was right, what was wrong; read my favorite older golf instruction books (older = around the Hale Irwin era); read P.G. Wodehouse golf stories; and VERY IMPORTANT, visualize my remembered best shots and repeated them. Plus I putt on the carpet; no short swings yet. And while I agree with you Patch, I'm unrealistically optimistic that when the day comes, my first golf shots will be solid! And that's my hope for all of us stuck without golf for these long stretches. Regards, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

It's been at least 12 weeks since I've swung a golf club, but I live in NE Ohio. This is about the time of year I'd start hitting the golf dome to hit ball. Unfortunately, the last Winter storm collapsed the place, so there is nowhere to hit balls around here!

I have noticed over the past few years, that some of my early sessions at the dome resulted in some really nice ball striking. I think that this is because I was more focused on the process rather than the result.

The back wall of the dome was no more than 80 yards away, I wasn't trying to post a score, so the swing was all that mattered. I also noticed that I made a fuller, more complete swing, at the dome. I wasn't concerned about trees, or rough, or hazard, or anything else. Just the swing!

Maybe this is what is called the "mental game".

It is VERY important to read P.G. Wodehouse golf stories.  He was my favorite author's favorite author.  And he certainly knew a thing or two about gowf.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I hit my first balls of the year last week having not hit a real ball since early november and it took a little while to come back to me. Started over swinging so had to dial it back till it felt smooth again (i use the image of a rollercoaster at the top of the track before dropping and accelerating) and all was good again. Shame it took me most of the basket to get there.

I usually hit foam balls most days or swing without a ball to keep the muscles firing so im not too far from where i want to be. I have a wrist issue that turned out to be caused by a trapped nerve in my neck so taking a very short break but on the mend.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I've played so much golf over the past 20 years, my swing is just ingrained in me, It's like riding a bike. I didn't touch a club from Jan 1 through May 5 last year. Shot even par in my first round back and under par in my second. But, like I said I averaged around 100 rounds a year until last year and even then got in 60+ in 7 months. Not to mention the thousands and thousands of balls I have hit. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 2282 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!