IGNORED

2018 Tiger Debut - San Diego Open (Farmer's Insurance)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger's 2018 Debut  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Tiger finish in his 2018 debut?

• WD in first two rounds
    • MCs
    • Makes cut, WD in last two rounds
    • Makes cut, finishes 50th+
    • Finishes middle third (25th to 50th, roughly)
    • Top 20
    • Top 10
    • Top 5
    • Wins

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/26/2018 at 06:16 PM

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, jamo said:

Better result than my drive on that hole.

That's only cuz you didn't have a gallery to deflect or stop your ball. Duh. You get a free drop back near the fairway.

30 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Is Tiger, at this moment, above the cut line?

T84 (T113 below him, T63 above him). But he played the South, which is a shot or two tougher, so… sure.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger probably needs to shoot under par on the North Course tomorrow to make the cut. I think 143 (-1) is going to be the cut line, so he has to shoot no worse than 71 to make the cut. 

Considering he didn't make a single putt outside of four feet, I think he makes the weekend... He just needs a few putts to drop tomorrow.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

22 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Tiger probably needs to shoot under par on the North Course tomorrow to make the cut. I think 143 (-1) is going to be the cut line, so he has to shoot no worse than 71 to make the cut. 

Considering he didn't make a single putt outside of four feet, I think he makes the weekend... He just needs a few putts to drop tomorrow.

Uh he just needs to actually hit the green when he hits a 320yd drive in the fairway. Yeah he missed a couple putts. But he didn’t give himself a lot of birdie opportunities to begin with. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

2 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Uh he just needs to actually hit the green when he hits a 320yd drive in the fairway. Yeah he missed a couple putts. But he didn’t give himself a lot of birdie opportunities to begin with. 

That too. His proximity to the hole wasn't very good. His three birdies were a combined 2 feet in length. 

He's rusty. His iron play wasn't the worst I've seen it. But 5 bunkers in the first round is alarming. He needs to clean-up his iron play if he wants to score well.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Guys, first actual tour round in I have no idea how long.  Gotta give home a break.  Even the great Tiger Woods needs to re-acclimate himself to the intensity.  Seems ready to hit a few shots tomorrow and see 4 or 5 under.

With that guy you always gotta remember +4 on the front 9 of the ‘97 masters.  Just as a reminder of what he’s capable of.

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

He looked very good, but very rusty. Even if he misses the cut, I don’t think it matters much. He will gain confidence. This is the longest course they play all year, and the rough is serious. He passed those tests easily.

Sam Ryder is in his first year on the big tour.  He plays out of my club here in Orlando.  Good guy.  -1 today.  Let's show him some love!

• Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, lastings said:

Guys, first actual tour round in I have no idea how long.  Gotta give home a break.  Even the great Tiger Woods needs to re-acclimate himself to the intensity.  Seems ready to hit a few shots tomorrow and see 4 or 5 under.

With that guy you always gotta remember +4 on the front 9 of the ‘97 masters.  Just as a reminder of what he’s capable of.

Yes, that and the South Course is the tougher of the two courses. Hell, in three years it's going to host the U.S. Open again... It isn't as tough as the USGA will play it. But 72 at the South, in your first competitive round in a full field event since WD in Dubai last year is pretty damn good.

The North Course was renovated a couple years back, so it is tougher than it was, however, Tiger historically (even in his wins at Torrey Pines) struggles a bit on whichever of his first two rounds he plays at the South Course. He has a better scoring average on the North, even with the 72, he shot there last year on Friday.

With this tournament being on two different courses over the first two days. It's one of those, wait till everyone plays both courses, and see where you are at. 

It's a lot like Pebble Beach and Bob Hope in that way. You don't really know where you stand until everyone plays all the courses in the first two or three rounds.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

When did The Big Cat start getting used so often?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

9 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Yes, that and the South Course is the tougher of the two courses. Hell, in three years it's going to host the U.S. Open again... It isn't as tough as the USGA will play it. But 72 at the South, in your first competitive round in a full field event since WD in Dubai last year is pretty damn good.

The North Course was renovated a couple years back, so it is tougher than it was, however, Tiger historically (even in his wins at Torrey Pines) struggles a bit on whichever of his first two rounds he plays at the South Course. He has a better scoring average on the North, even with the 72, he shot there last year on Friday.

With this tournament being on two different courses over the first two days. It's one of those, wait till everyone plays both courses, and see where you are at. 

It's a lot like Pebble Beach and Bob Hope in that way. You don't really know where you stand until everyone plays all the courses in the first two or three rounds.

Have you played the North lately?  There's a big first bounce on those new hard greens, they are not as receptive as the South.

From the San Diego Union Tribune reporting on yesterdays rounds:

The courses played virtually the same, with the scoring average on the South Course at 71.615 and on the North Course at 71.308.

Edited by No Mulligans

I voted the "roughly" one.

I watched Woody's first round shots on You Tube. Last night. Thought his swing looked positive. I especially liked his driver swing. Only poor thing I saw was his anger with his club after a poor shot. Don't think that's a healthy move for a repaired back. 

Another thing was the healthy golfers tied with him at even par. What they might be thinking about being tied with a surgically repaird golfer in come back mode. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Patch said:

Only poor thing I saw was his anger with his club after a poor shot. Don't think that's a healthy move for a repaired back.

Huh?

If the guy can play Tour-level golf (and six rounds a week, plus practicing), I don't think an angry swipe here and there is going to matter at all.

31 minutes ago, Patch said:

Another thing was the healthy golfers tied with him at even par. What they might be thinking about being tied with a surgically repaird golfer in come back mode. 

He's not "a surgically repaired golfer in come back mode." This isn't even Retief Goosen in come back mode. It's the greatest of all time shaking off some of the rust.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

When did The Big Cat start getting used so often?

I think the No Laying Up people use it a lot.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awwww come on, stop it with the lefts, man.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Hooks it into oblivion - has to take a drop. Come on Tiger, put away the driver, hit 3 wood. This is a golf tournament not a long-drive contest.

44 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Awwww come on, stop it with the lefts, man.

@iacas does that recoil mean anything specific? Is it just him trying to save a swing that he knows isn't right?

Not looking good. 

• Like 1

Steve

Nice time lapse here, kind of how I watch regular season events via DVR.

• Like 1

Steve

Note: This thread is 2278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!