IGNORED

Driving range or a round?

Ohleechit
Note: This thread is 2238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello everyone! First post here. High handicapper that just started playing again after about 5 years. As I have a full time job and a full time family, My time is limited for my golf passion. I usually play 9 and go to the range for an hour each week. However, I’m wondering if I should just save the money at the range and just play another 9. I’m really only interested in breaking 100/95 each time I go out. Let me know what some of you do to conserve time. Thanks! 

There is no point in practicing if you don't play; and little point in playing if you don't practice.  Each one feeds the other.  

• Thumbs Up 2

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I practice more than I play. It's kind of like gearing up for the next, important round. The importance of the round being relative to me. 

I get something done for my game, just about every day. Sometimes it's something minor. Other times it something I know I need to work on for future rounds I might have planned. 

There are also times I play, where the score is not important. I will be trying different things just for the fun if it. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

If your trying to break a certain score then I would practice more. I went from mid high 90 to mid 80 low 90 by practicing more than I ever have within the last year. Key is not getting burned out like I feel sometimes. Good luck.

I don't practice much anymore, if I have time, I play. The arthritis in my hands and wrists, caused by hitting thousands and thousands of balls in the past, doesn't allow me to pound balls like I used to. 

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I suppose it depends upon your goals and your age. At 65 I am under few illusions about the mountains I am still capable of climbing. I'll hit balls now and then just to keep my hand in, but if push comes to shove, I'd rather play. Mind you, poor or sloppy play will still piss me off! That's something that will get me back to the range more.

Years ago I read the comment, "If you're playing well, go play! If you're having problems, go practice!"

What are you doing on the range? If it’s not a dedidicatrd and focused session I would just play the other 9.

Edited by HJJ003
Spelling

Always play if I can.  I really dislike going to the driving range.  It is very hard for me to focus on shots at the range as I would on the golf course.  The only time I go to the range is purely to get loosened up.  I try not to even watch where the balls go.  I also won't hit irons off a mat.  I feel like the 5 iron off a mat is so unlike anything I am going to play on the course.  

I also caused some very bad tendonitis in my left wrist from hitting thousands of balls on a stiff mat back when I started playing.  To this day, it still bothers me a bit and I have since avoided going to the range and hitting off concrete.  

Play will help you identify the weaknesses in your game so you know what needs practice or better, professional help. You need both - play and practice with professional help - lessons.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Unless you're working with a good instructor, all your "practice" is doing is further ingraining the bad habits that you have.  Unless you're going to take the plunge on instruction, which really doesn't seem to fit into your life right now, I'd just go play, and have fun.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I go with @David in FL stated. If no time for lessons, play. Instead of practice, I would get a set of golf stretches and do them on a daily basis - takes about 20-30 minutes and keeps you loose to make the most of what you have. Joey D has a book on flexibility - something like Fix your Body, Fix your Swing.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

When your time is that limited, do what brings you the most pleasure. 

Probably for most people that would be playing, but I've known a few people that prefer the range.

Back a few years when I was playing well I liked to hit some balls at the range before going out. Not working on anything just seeing what my game was before I hit the course. Your situation is different and I think you have had some good feedback. Right now I am at the point that my game is not great, but why waste time practicing if I am not posting my scores? So I just go out to play and enjoy being out in the fresh air and getting some exercise.   

Heck - playing a 9 hole once a week or every other week, and going to the range once a week is generally what I do. In addition, I practice while I'm at home pretty much everyday in some way. There are tons of drills and etc. you can do right in your house.

Biggest things that have helped me so far has been: The 5keys, getting a lesson, slow motion video, the tons of free advice found here, and having realistic expectations.

Unless you have some serious physical limitations, I think with the time you're investing you can definitely get to a point where you break 100 every time.

I play more than go to the range , partly due to back issues, but it's also so much more fun.

If you pick quiet times/courses, you can practice with the right routines (e.g. playing 2 balls, and always selecting the worst shot, then play 2 from there, and so on). 

Play another 9 holes! I love to be at the course and get bored very quickly at the practice range.
I play just for fun at the moment, and only on the weekends. Besides that I can keep my handicap around +1.. 0 or 1.
After my regular 18th holes i like to play 9 more holes, if i have time that day, by myself with 3..4 balls and work on my long game. At least here in argentina that extra 9 holes are for free.

This weekend was 'Carnaval' monday and tuesday, so i get to play 4 rounds in 4 days. On 3 of them i played 9 extra holes each day for a total of 99 holes.. or 5,5 rounds. Played to score on 4 of them, and worked con my long game on the extra 9 holes rounds i played.   

Note: This thread is 2238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!