IGNORED

Senior Golfers Fading Away

WUTiger
Note: This thread is 2229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A note of concern: several older golfers in our Senior group are fading away. We have tee times MWF, and meet for Saturday AM coffee at the club most of the year. The conversations always include a health update on the 36 people on our e-mail list.

Charles is a retired Air Force colonel who started in the Vietnam era.  I asked him last Fall if he had been out of  town because he hadn't played with the group that summer. He replied that he has neuropathy in his hands, and can't hold a golf club for more than a few swings.

Roy has been ailing recently, and we just got word that his cancer has spread to his brain. He will finish out his days in a hospice setting at home. His bed will be positioned so he can watch ESPN and the Golf Channel.

On a less drastic note, Craig had a second knee replacement, and has been diligent in his recovery workouts. He's now walking with a normal gait, playing again, and I fear he has gained back 30 yards on his drives.

Each summer a couple more of the Seniors sell their homes and move to Florida. A lot of these people bought their first retirement homes here circa 1997 when the course first opened. Some 20 years later, they are making the final move to warmer climates. One of the senior centers has five different families formerly of our club who have moved there. There's been talk of home-and-away golf matches - IL vs. FL - but no one has schedules any yet.

My wife and I live about three miles away, and have a year-to-year semiprivate membership. We'll probably just stay put in our house; if we move it would be back to Missouri.

On a humorous note, one of the lively guys teases me that I'm not a true Senior because I'm only 67 and still working.

It's late, 'bye for now.

Edited by WUTiger
  • Upvote 2

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, WUTiger said:

A note of concern: several older golfers in our Senior group are fading away. We have tee times MWF, and meet for Saturday AM coffee at the club most of the year. The conversations always include a health update on the 36 people on our e-mail list.

Charles is a retired Air Force colonel who started in the Vietnam era.  I asked him last Fall if he had been out of  town because he hadn't played with the group that summer. He replied that he has neuropathy in his hands, and can't hold a golf club for more than a few swings.

Roy has been ailing recently, and we just got word that his cancer has spread to his brain. He will finish out his days in a hospice setting at home. His bed will be positioned so he can watch ESPN and the Golf Channel.

On a less drastic note, Craig had a second knee replacement, and has been diligent in his recovery workouts. He's now walking with a normal gait, playing again, and I fear he has gained back 30 yards on his drives.

Each summer a couple more of the Seniors sell their homes and move to Florida. A lot of these people bought their first retirement homes here circa 1997 when the course first opened. Some 20 years later, they are making the final move to warmer climates. One of the senior centers has five different families formerly of our club who have moved there. There's been talk of home-and-away golf matches - IL vs. FL - but no one has schedules any yet.

My wife and I live about three miles away, and have a year-to-year semiprivate membership. We'll probably just stay put in our house; if we move it would be back to Missouri.

On a humorous note, one of the lively guys teases me that I'm not a true Senior because I'm only 67 and still working.

It's late, 'bye for now.

That was a touching post, and I appreciate you sharing it. It's sad, but I am starting to see the first wave of "changes" at the golf community I live in also. The first group of members moved in about 15 years ago. We are losing them sooner then we'd like. I'm one of the young ones, or was when I moved in 7 years ago. I'm 63 now, and we are getting quite a few people joining now who are in their mid fifties to early 60's. I recently lost a close friend very close to my age, and I spoke to club management about starting a sort of Memorial Tournament where every year we would remember those who are gone. They loved the idea, and I will be running the first one this June. Unfortunately, life goes on, and as I'm sure you've noticed, it seems to do so more rapidly as we age. I really wanted to respond to you, because I sense the sadness and resignation in your tone. I hope you will meet new friends there, and continue to enjoy the game with them as long as you are able. This will probably not be the most popular of threads, but it can certainly become one of the most poignant. I'm sure many others here have similar stories to tell.

• Upvote 1

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

Interesting thread.

As golf tends to reflect real life, this seems like another way it does so.

Politicians fade from the scene as they make way for a younger generation to take over. Star athletes’ prospects dim as the television cameras and sports pages focus on the newest phenoms. My old neighborhood where I grew up was bustling with kids and teens back in the day, but now is a staid older community of quiet empty-nesters.

Tons of individual stories of aging that add up to new dynamics. Can be sad if we want things to never age, but life (like golf) doesn’t seem to work that way, damn it.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Nice thread.   I'm 64, so of course I hang around with people in their 60s a lot, and my regular golf group are all in their 60s. 

Personally, I think I'm playing the best golf of my life, but it's probably because I was so shitty to begin with, so there was a lot of room for improvement.   But my friends, golfing friends and other friends, are starting to break down physically, some from accidents, some from just not taking care of themselves.   Attrition starts to take over.  Some friends have died from not taking care of themselves.  Alcoholism, smoking, eating, it adds up and eventually, the price is paid.  It seems like the 60s is where it all comes home to roost. 

But I also find that, while I spend a lot more time thinking about my oncoming physical decline, and thinking about the shortening time span in front of me, and how it's all going to be over eventually, in spite of that, I'm happier than I've ever been before.  I think it helps immensely if we look with gratitude at all the gifts we have been given by life and how lucky we are to get here. 

Edited by Marty2019
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Just saw this part of your post and it got me a little. I am actually doing something called "Brave the Shave" in May/June for Macmillan Cancer research. Decided to do it after my friend was diagniosed with a rare form of breast cancer last year. Figured if she is going to lose her hair than why shouldnt I and raise money for a charity at the same time. So i'll be saying goodnye to my hair in a month or two! I'll have my page set up soon.

Back on topic, its a shame that a lot of the older guys aren't playing as much as often. My uncle is now in his early 70's, still hits it a ton and keeps to a 5hcp but even he is down to one round a week. His body just cant keep up the pace these days. Everytime i play with him the stories he has can make even a crap round fun!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

What a great, touching and sad topic. At 65, I share your pain and your joy. I am seeing older golfing buddies drifting away into the Super Senior group and then into the Bar Stool group. After playing for over 55 years, I'm still trying to get better and I hope that desire will help me weather the natural erosion of skills that are inevitable. Love the idea of a Memorial Tournament to honor, remember and celebrate those who played before us.

Enjoy playing with some of the younger golfers (especially when I use words like "balata" and they look at me like I'm from another planet) when I use my hickory shafted clubs. Can't match them off the tee but Inside 120 yards, I can still  pull a rabbit out of the hat occasionally.  All in all, glad we are all still grinding over that putt!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

This reminds me of my grandfather. He had a regular foursome that played every Saturday and Sunday for 30 years. Then one day it became a threesome, then a twosome, then finally one sad day my grandfather became a single and put away his clubs for good. I don't think he ever got over that and unfortunately lived out the last ten years of his life sitting on his couch instead of playing. I tried to take him out a few times, but he declined, I think it made him sad.  

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Well at 68, I know my years are numbered. I'd like to think that I have another 10 years left, but 5 years might be more realistic. I'm talking quality golf here. I still have a decent game. .

I missed a couple of senior mens' tournaments while on a previous road trip up north. When I got back, I found those tournaments didn't take place. Reason being lack of healthy participants. Seems a flu like virus hit everyone. Most of the town came down with something. Older folks, and youngsters were hit pretty hard.

Getting older is just part of living. There is no getting around it. Our group numbered 10 just 2 years ago. We are now down to 6. Actually 5-1/2 since one of our crew is battling a lot of health issues that keeps him indoors most of the time. 

I will play this game until I absolutely can't. It is that valuable to me. I know eventually I will probably be that "really old guy" sometimes will hold up play for the youngsters. I will apologise now, but in reality, they will just have to deal with it. Deal with it until they get senior enough to carry on that part of the "old golfing dude" legacy. Deal with it the way I do now.

Perhaps I will purchase one of those "golf guns" that shoots the ball 50-200 yards. Not having to swing a club could extend my visits to the golf course. It might turn out to be the next big thing in golf. It could be called "Unnatural Golf". :banana:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

That is just the nature of senior leagues.  The one here just sort of faded out.  The last couple of years, instead of an actual league, a half dozen guys just show up around 9AM Wednesday morning and play 9 holes, no format, no formality - just golf.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'm thinking we can go two ways with this thread guys, and really make it special for those of us who stay involved in it. Naturally, there will be plenty of touching, even sad stories told. But what say we also try to mix in some funny, uplifting ones? We're not done yet, men! We still have plenty of chunked chips, and 3 putts left in us! Why not let this be a place where we trade  tales of our Senior golf adventures also?

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

1 hour ago, GrandStranded said:

I'm thinking we can go two ways with this thread guys, and really make it special for those of us who stay involved in it. Naturally, there will be plenty of touching, even sad stories told. But what say we also try to mix in some funny, uplifting ones? We're not done yet, men! We still have plenty of chunked chips, and 3 putts left in us! Why not let this be a place where we trade  tales of our Senior golf adventures also?

Right. I can't give up (ever) because my long term goal is to shoot my age, and the older I get, the higher the score might get too! I am not in that territory yet, at 59 (and no I don't even sniff par for 18 holes), but it's coming.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

2 hours ago, Fourputt said:

That is just the nature of senior leagues.  The one here just sort of faded out.  The last couple of years, instead of an actual league, a half dozen guys just show up around 9AM Wednesday morning and play 9 holes, no format, no formality - just golf.

Yeah, we do that too, in addition to the league stuff.

In My Bag:

What amazes me is that in this golf retirement community I moved in 3 years ago, I'm one of the youngest people at 68. I play almost daily with 70 on up to 85 year old guys, that can beat the pants off me on the course. I just hope that I can still be on the course daily at 85.

Another short story: Last year we played at an Orlando course. We were behind a foursome that was taking forever. They'd pull up to the tee, the driver of the cart would get out, and help the other person out of the cart. They'd walk to the tee, the driver would tee up a ball for the other person, and that guy would whack it a pretty good distance. They'd get back to the cart and head on down the fairway. Again the driver would help the other guy out of the cart, he'd hit the ball, and then off to the green. Same thing on and on, and after waiting about 4 holes, we drove up to them. They apologized for taking so long, but the 95 year old guy was having problems getting out of the cart. We said no problem, at 95 years old, please take your time.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

20 hours ago, Patch said:

I will play this game until I absolutely can't. It is that valuable to me. I know eventually I will probably be that "really old guy" sometimes will hold up play for the youngsters. I will apologise now, but in reality, they will just have to deal with it. Deal with it until they get senior enough to carry on that part of the "old golfing dude" legacy. Deal with it the way I do now.

Yay! to this. I haven't been able to golf since 9/28/2017 injuries. Will probably get to it in June. I'm 72, and when I get down about these aches and pains, I remember Don. He had cancer. We had to help him to the tee in his last days. Sometimes we had to stop him from falling. It was his pure love of the game and his friends that kept him going. It's not about my age and aches. It's not really about me. It's the game and the friends. Thanks to all on TST, -Marv

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Senior golfer's have to be more careful in everyday normal routines. 

I was reminded of this yesterday. I have two very large dogs. 145lbs, and 155lbs. They are older boys, who I have been walking on leashes for several years with no issues.

Yesterday, while taking our daily trek in the desert, a rabbit jumped out of a bush in front of us, and and both dogs lunged at the critter. I was not ready for the jerk/ tug they put on me.

Unfortunately for me, I was holding both leashes in my right hand, in an awkward position. The pain in my right shoulder was as bad as anything I have ever felt before. The severe enough pain that causes you to lose your lunch.

Long story short, a trip to the ER, revealed a few strained muscles in my kneck, shoulder, upper arm, and back. All on my right side. Luckily no really serious damage. Some pain meds, and rest will repair the issues. 

5 years ago this damaged would not have occurred, as I was in much better shape. 

Golf wise, my full swing is not going to happen for a few days. Niether is my half swing for that matter. I can putt though......when my wife is not looking.  :-P

In My Bag:

In my limited experience, the older guys fading away is all the more apparent because you don't have much replacing them. 

It's been a few years since I joined my local association (Kittyhawk Men's Association). My participation is a bit spotty, but the number of guys in the club championship dropped damn near in half from my first year. KHMA might have five members on the entire roster younger than I am and I'm bloody 41 years old.

This speaks to me. Sorry to hear that members of your group are fading away from golf.

I'm 31, obviously not in the same age, but I've played most of my golf with people in ages 50+. I've played with a lot of great people. Some has become unable to play because of health related issues, some has passed. For anyone having had golf as a thing in their life for many years, it must be sad having to let it go. I don't have a lot of wishes for my future, but one of my most important ones is staying healthy enough to play golf as long as I can. If I can play golf, odds are I'm generally in good health.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

28 minutes ago, Zeph said:

This speaks to me. Sorry to hear that members of your group are fading away from golf.

I'm 31, obviously not in the same age, but I've played most of my golf with people in ages 50+. I've played with a lot of great people. Some has become unable to play because of health related issues, some has passed. For anyone having had golf as a thing in their life for many years, it must be sad having to let it go. I don't have a lot of wishes for my future, but one of my most important ones is staying healthy enough to play golf as long as I can. If I can play golf, odds are I'm generally in good health.

I think you touched on a major issue that contributes to the decline of one's senior golf game. That being to stay healthy long enough to still enjoy the game later on in their life. 

I don't have any statistics, but it appears to me the last two generations of youngsters just didn't take care of themselves as well as those who grew up before them. 

Another issue that comes to mind is the younger golfer who didn't take care if themselves financially to be able to afford  to continue to golf well into their retirement years. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 2229 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!