IGNORED

Patrick Reed vs. the Rules of Golf

NM Golf

Of course intent is not relevant for purposes of the 2 stroke penalty, but absolutely relevant for the character assassination that some folks are levying.........

As for me, unless there is a PGA Tour rule or by-law that could be applied to result in additional punishment, this is just way, way overblown (and probably the case in any event)......

He broke the rules and received the appropriate penalty....time to move on

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

12 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Hmmm...

Hmmm indeed...He was digging the ball out of a hole! Good grief! Sorry I overlooked this video. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, chile said:

I think the bleed over into the President's Cup is kinda overblown...I mean, I get it but it'd be nice to not let that overshadow what this team can do.

50 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

Of course intent is not relevant for purposes of the 2 stroke penalty, but absolutely relevant for the character assassination that some folks are levying.........

As for me, unless there is a PGA Tour rule or by-law that could be applied to result in additional punishment, this is just way, way overblown (and probably the case in any event)......

He broke the rules and received the appropriate penalty....time to move on

Find someone as forgiving to you as much as @chile and @BallStriker are to Patrick Reed 😄

Constantine

4 minutes ago, chile said:

He got penalized. It's done. Move on maybe? 

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. I will alert Golfchannel immediately 😜

It’s Tuesday after the fact, I think it’s still fair game lol. Plus the guy has a history. Also it’s a golf forum. And I’m just joking around 😂

• Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

I think the issue people have with it is not that he broke the rules, but that he is so full of bs in his explanation. from my understanding of the situation he's trying to claim he didnt know he moved the sand.  I realize the home viewer has the advantage of high def television replays, but commmmmmmme on man, how could you not see you clearly moving the sand

• Thumbs Up 1

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

• Administrator
9 hours ago, downbylaw11 said:

I think the issue people have with it is not that he broke the rules, but that he is so full of bs in his explanation. from my understanding of the situation he's trying to claim he didnt know he moved the sand.  I realize the home viewer has the advantage of high def television replays, but commmmmmmme on man, how could you not see you clearly moving the sand

That's it exactly.

People will ride for and even defend a player who breaks the rules if they behave properly after the fact. Then again, it's Paterpillar here, so he was doomed from the start.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 hours ago, chile said:

I think the bleed over into the President's Cup is kinda overblown...I mean, I get it but it'd be nice to not let that overshadow what this team can do.

the team won't - they are pros

(No matter how hard the Golf Channel will try to cash in this by not letting it die)

12 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

Find someone as forgiving to you as much as @chile and @BallStriker are to Patrick Reed 😄

so in your post - here's one of BallStriker's quotes " He broke the rules and received the appropriate penalty."  Wow, how horribly forgiving can a guy be?

as for chile - the quote you provided was about the President's Cup team, so not even on the topic really

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

12 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

so in your post - here's one of BallStriker's quotes " He broke the rules and received the appropriate penalty."  Wow, how horribly forgiving can a guy be?

as for chile - the quote you provided was about the President's Cup team, so not even on the topic really

It's so horrible 😁

What quote did I provide?

• Upvote 1

Constantine

18 hours ago, chile said:

No way. It is the best needling tool the Internationals have at the moment to unsettle the Americans. They gotta milk it atleast through the PC. I can't wait to see what the crowds bring and how thick Reed's skin is. 

Vishal S.

I think @rehmwa was referring to a @chile quote, not me.

Anyway yea, I'm also interested to see what the Aussie crowds do with this 😄.

And piggy backing on what others have said, coupled with his history and the act itself, it really is about all the stupid ways he's decided to cover this up in the aftermath. And then yesterday, he decides to turn himself into this victim/hero/star-of-his-own-revenge-tragedy by saying that what Cam Smith said about it was "personal." Really?

I mean, I guess he's in Australia at the moment so he can contact Mel Gibson and ask him optimal revenge strategies to use this week. Definitely a solid resource.

unnamed.jpg

Maybe Braveheart revenge will be more effective, I dunno.

But as an American I guess I can do some mental gymnastics and make this personal along with him. Let's teach them internationals some manners, Patrick!!! 

• Like 1

Constantine

16 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. I will alert Golfchannel immediately 😜

It’s Tuesday after the fact, I think it’s still fair game lol. Plus the guy has a history. Also it’s a golf forum. And I’m just joking around 😂

The expression on your avatar’s face is dead serious though.😜 I think he’s fair game for the team before the start. They trash talk all the time. Once the tournament starts, it will be all very supportive.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 5 weeks later...

Please sue, Patrick! And sue in a law without a SLAPP law. Definitely want to see him deposed, under oath.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Can't stand this guy. I absolutely believe that he is a cheat. I know when I have done something that breaks the rule and put any penalties neccessary. To believe that he didn't know he was improving his lie, or touching anything is silly. He's a pro with great command over his club, and I'm sure he felt what he was doing, anad since he denied, I would argue that it was intentional. Can't wait until he gets his.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

27 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Again, intent has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT

I’m going to disagree just a bit.

Intent has nothing to do with the vast majority of the rules.  This one included.  We all periodically breach rules, and when we do, we accept the penalty for doing so, but we’re not cheating.  

cheat does so intentionally hoping to get away with the breach and avoid the penalty.  I genuinely believe that Reed falls into that category.  His only regret is that he got caught.

• Like 3

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

cheat does so intentionally hoping to get away with the breach and avoid the penalty.  I genuinely believe that Reed falls into that category.  His only regret is that he got caught.

Nailed it

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls