IGNORED

Anyone else still playing with old clubs (old, as in 2003)?

Note: This thread is 2094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good morning,

Just thinking about my clubs, assorted models of clubs over the years, and quickly realized that, yeah... My set of Pings are OLD, but I still love how they feel.

Iron set = Ping i3+ from 2003.  Standard length, standard lie, black dot, regular factory steel shaft.
FW = Ping i3 in 3W and 5W.  Standard length, standard lie, black dot, regular factory graphite shaft.
Driver = Used Ping G10 from Golfsmith / Golf Galaxy a few years ago, after my beloved Ping Si3 snapped off at the hosel, as was deemed irreparable. :~(
(My current G10 is also Standard length, standard lie, 10.5° face, but with a stiff factory graphite shaft).

Extras/Substitutes:
Ping Rapture 21° Hybrid took the place of the i3+ 3 iron.  Same as before, standard length, lie, but the Hybrid has an Aldila VS Proto graphite shaft.
Ping S59 gap wedge, 52°, same as before, standard length, black dot, factory steel shaft, etc...
Precision Touch 5808 SW, 58°...  Found this a number of years ago in a golf store (2nd Swing?) and had it ever since.  Standard length, lie, etc...

Putter = Homemade/component/copycat mallet putter, that a friend of my old nextdoor neighbor made me back in the day.  It's a knockoff of the famous Odyssey Rossie II mallet and is just a real sweet putter.  Standard length (34"), standard lie, etc...

Now... With all of that said, I am wondering if anyone else still uses 15 year old clubs?  I love my i3+ irons and can cleanly hit them a majority of the time from all sorts of lies.  I'm just a basic, regular guy, 6'0" and 210 lbs (need to lose weight!), 90 mph swing speed, and in a few days I'll be 57 years old.  I've always been on that cusp on needing a stiff shaft or a regular shaft, which is why I bought the Ping G10 with the factory TFC 129D stiff shaft.  Some days, I can't hit it long and other days, I'll blast it off the tee out 250+ yards.

Question:  Should I consider upgrading my clubs and get with the times, or just keep on playing the old Ping i3+ set?  Opinions?  Suggestions?

:cobra: --- older model 454 Comp, 10.5° face, reg shaft.
:ping: --- old, classic set of i3+ irons, 3W, 5W, 21° Hybrid, etc...
:odyssey:--- an old DF550 blade putter that I just can't part with!
:titleist: --- NXT Tour, DT Tru Soft, and a few prized Pro-V1's 

My clubs are well over 10 years old. They still do what my swing tells them to do. 

I have another set of irons that are close to 20 years old that I can still shoot decent scores with. 

Nothing wrong with older clubs if they still do the job. Especially if they were properly fitted in the first place.  

If I were to make any changes, I would probably keep my current iron heads, and go with senior shafts installed on them. In reality I don't see any club changes in my future. Maybe if I were 20-30 years younger. :-P

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm playing (or will be when it gets above 37 degrees here):

Scotty putter - circa 2003
Hogan CFT edge irons 4-W - circa 2004/5
Cleveland Halo hybrids 19 & 22  degree - circa 2007
Titleist 3W - circa 2010
Callaway XR pro - circa 2015 (thanks to TST US Open contest & Jordan Spieth)

• Thumbs Up 1

Players play, tough players win!

My "Modern" clubs are Tommy Armour Macgregor AT2W 1960 woods and 1990 Hogan Apex irons rounded out with a Ping Kushin putter.  My "Old" clubs are hickories. Hopefully, I will get to put some of them to use later this week. Snowing in Chicago today.... ugh!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

I went through most of my bag last year; prior to that I had some really old stuff in it. I am still using some Callaway hybrids from about 2005.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

1998, titleist 981SL w/graphite stiffs.  D5.  Now that I am 70 I am considering Callaway rogue x graphite in regular as well as Ping g400, graphite, regular stiffness.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I say play what you like... like what you play!

You might just swap out the shaft for something more suited to you now, then you can still swing them as it sounds like you like them and can hit them good.

Most new irons are ugly with flashy badges and other gimmicks on them.  I have and play old Ping Eye 2's, Ping ISI's, Mizuno MP 67's and sometimes when I want to torture myself an old set of Wilson Dyna powered blades.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

4 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

say play what you like... like what you play!

You might just swap out the shaft for something more suited to you now, then you can still swing them as it sounds like you like them and can hit them good.

Yes to this. That's what I did with two sets of Mizunos that are even older than the ones I play now. Can get a bit expensive but not like a new set. Best, -Marv

• Thumbs Up 2

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I think my putter dates from the early 1990's. I became unhappy with the putter I was using, and dug this out of the closet. My 2 hybrid I think I bought in the late '90's, early '00's! I love that club and will never get rid of it! I have nothing in my bag that could be considered "brand new"!

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a cluster of the Callaway Hawk Eye FWs from circa 2000. A couple of years ago I got the 3, 5, 7, 9 for $40 each (in great shape and just regripped), and the Deuce #2 for $15.

Have only hit 3W a couple of times; may try a mix for a couple of rounds to see what happens.

• Thumbs Up 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

My current clubs are the Callaway X20's I bought in 2008, so they're 10 years old. I still do play with the original big bertha 3 wood. I think I bought it in 1992.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

I see no point in buying a new set every few years, it maybe takes a few years before you are really into a set, so why toss them away and start all over again.

In total I play golf about 40 years now and as far as I remember after a half beginner set I bought a set Wilson Fluid Feel I played for about 10 years, traded it in for a set of Ping Eye2's, went back to blades of Mizuno after another 10 years and being an old time Wilson addict bought a Wilson CI-7 set about 10 years ago and replaced these with a Wilson CI-9 set about 8 years ago.... still playing these !

• Thumbs Up 1

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

2 years ago i started playing with my 2001 clubs. While i played for fun they where perfect. Last year i started to play national championships so i decided to purchase en new set of clubs, bag.. balls etc. I invested 2.000 Uds in high quality clubs, and i will keep them for a lot of years to come. Maybe in another 20 years i could change them just because i will be older  i and will need more senior clubs.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Ive used the same set of DG S400 shafts in my irons since sometime around 04. Maybe 05. Cant remember.  Ive had those shafts in three different sets of heads. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have a 3-PW set (used to be 3-SW, but please see my post in the tantrum thread) of Tour Model 4's that I'm considering putting back in my bag this year. I've never been more consistent with any set of irons than I have with these over 20 y/o friends. When I'm on with them they seek every pin. They were fitted and built for me over 20 years ago. They're basically an Eye 2 copy. I bet you couldn't find a set of them if you had to, unless you message me-but they're not for sale!:)

My best rounds of my life used these, a stock set 3w that was 25+ years old, a Dunlop Goliath driver, and a 20.00 WalMart blade putter. I now have the latest and the greatest but I've yet to go subpar with my current setup. I played an 11 club bag for years. I now have paralysis set in when I try to get down to 14. Mainly because I now know how far everything goes and I try to fit "gapping" to my game versus my game to gapping. I also went from my trusty PW doing everything a wedge needed to about 30 wedges being agonizingly whittled down to however many I can stuff in my bag. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 2094 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!