IGNORED

Hole in One on a Temporary Hole

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 2197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I made a hole in one this past weekend. It's the third one that I have made (maybe). After the round I was talking to a couple guys in the bar about whether it was my second or third. I made a hole in one (years ago) on a hole that was being played as a par three because the golf course was redesigning the hole and the hole is actually a par five. So it doesn't show up as a par three on any score card anywhere. I say it still counts. But it does not show up on the "hole in one" plaque at the golf course. What do you think? I also tried to argue the point that I have now made a hole in one on a par 5, a par 4, and now a par 3. :whistle:

• Upvote 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

40 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

a hole in one on a par 5

That's quite an accomplishment . . . 

While the hole was playing under reconstruction, it's still a ONE !!!

A friend once told me they run in bunches after he had 3 in a 4 year span.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

A case like this is what asterisks are for........:beer:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Congratulations. I think it counts, regardless of any plaque.

I expect I'll be lucky if I ever get one on a full course.  Slightly different question, do holes in one on par 3 course (often having holes well under 100 yards) count? I've come mightily close on those courses many times. 

I don't know what the problem is.  You hit a ball from tee box and it went in the hole.  Sounds like a hole-in-one to me.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I vote with everyone else.  If the hole is set up as a par 3, then it is a par 3, you shot a "1" and it is a hole-in-one.  We all know you are just kidding about the hole-in-one on a par 5, but it does make for a good discussion point over a few beers.

Brian Kuehn

2 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Did you have witnesses?

Yes. Had witnesses for all of them. I made a hole in one on a par 4 that none of us saw go in the hole. We looked all around the green and finally one of the guys I was playing with looked in the hole and there it was.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

1 hour ago, Bucki1968 said:

Yes. Had witnesses for all of them. I made a hole in one on a par 4 that none of us saw go in the hole. We looked all around the green and finally one of the guys I was playing with looked in the hole and there it was.

Then you're fine.  Your ace definitely counts.  A "1" is a "1"- temp green or no.  Great job!  I actually had my first a couple of weeks ago.  Gap wedge 115 and in.  My sister and BIL shared it with me.  Just such a rush lol.

I think not only is the ace onto a par 5 green from a temp par 3 tee box is obviously an ace, but I'd say really you have something like 3.5 aces.  A 1 on a par 4 has gotta count for more than an ace on a par 3!  Then, if you count your par "5" ace as more than one, maybe you can say you have 4 aces :-P

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

yeah i don't really see any debate here.  However the hole was set up temporarily, you took one shot on the hole, it went in.  Hole-in-one.

Not going to give you credit for an ace on a par 5 though  :-P

-Eric

6 hours ago, krupa said:

I don't know what the problem is.  You hit a ball from tee box and it went in the hole.  Sounds like a hole-in-one to me.

Well you COULD hit the ball from the tee, hole it, and make 3.  On your second try.  But as long as it was your first shot from that tee, its an ace, in my book.  :beer:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

Well you COULD hit the ball from the tee, hole it, and make 3.  On your second try.  But as long as it was your first shot from that tee, its an ace, in my book.  :beer:

There was a huge argument about this on reddit.com/r/golf because this actually happened.  A guy was teeing off at a Par 3 hole, hit his ball into water or OB, tee'd up a new ball and holed it for a 3.  Lots of people were arguing that this was an ace. To his credit, the guy who accomplished this feat said something like, "yeah it's really cool and all, but I had to put a 3 on the scorecard so it's not a hole-in-one."

• Like 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I know a guy who did just that, and he's never heard the end of his "nice 3".

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

8 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

Reminds me of a golf outing/stag party we held for a friend of ours who was getting married. On a dinky little 250-260 yard par 4 he hit a beautiful 4 wood ( that will tell you how long ago this was, remember the 4 wood?) on a baby draw that was headed right at the flag.

The green sat over a little rise, so we could only see the top half of the flagstick. We all started yelling "hole in one!" When we got to the green we hunted all around and couldn't find his ball. I finally looked in the hole and told him his ball was in there. He thought I was trying to make a fool of him and absolutely refused to look in the hole! So I asked what he was hitting, pulled the ball out of the hole and tossed it to him!

Needless to say we got him good and ripped at the cookout afterward. So much so that one of us had to drive him home, and then back out there the next day to pick up his car!

OK here goes -  I had 3 holes-in-one on the same hole in the space of 6 weeks. All with the same club too, 4 iron. No pushover either - 180 yards. All in competition too. They changed the hole after that, it was getting too easy!

If you wrote "1" on your scorecard, it's a hole-in-one or an ace. As long as the hole being worked on had a real green, I'd count it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2197 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!