Jump to content
Patch

Time On The Driving Range

118 posts / 12555 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I used to get to the range once per week and hit a couple of large buckets.  Now that I am semi-retired I go to the range 2-3 times per week and hit between 60 and 70 golf balls and get more out of it.  Play a couple of times per week and my full swing is improving although my short game is holding my game back a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

For me, the range is for nothing more than warming up. i have unlimited range time at my club, but not worth my time. I  hit 8 iron, 5 wood, 3 hybrid and driver until i feel comfortable and then off to the putting green until it is time to tee off.

Edited by meenman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, meenman said:

For me, the range is for nothing more than warming up. i have unlimited range time at my club, but not worth my time. I  hit 8 iron, 5 wood, 3 hybrid and driver until i feel comfortable and then off to the putting green until it is time to tee off.

Which is good-If you want to stay a higher handicapper or whatever.

Most good players And All the good players looking to improve use the range for more than just warming up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am usually on the range 4-5 days a week.

My approach is simple:  I am working on something to improve with specific drills that my GGGA golf coach has assigned me. Here is what a range session might look like.

I warm-up by going through a few exercises to loosen/stretch and get my heart pumping.  I ALWAYS warm up to avoid injury.

Then I start by working on one drill hitting 8 shots with the same club.  For example, I may hit eight 7 irons with my feet together.

When I have completed that drill, I then hit 8 shots using a different drill and a different club. For example, using a 6 iron, I may do a 4 o'clock drill -- where you address the ball with the shaft at 4 o'clock (a foot to the left of the ball along the target line) then make you swing.

Right now I have been assigned 6 drills... so to complete these I hit 48 balls.  Then I cycle through again and again, until I am either tired or do not have any more time.   When I recycle through the drills, I will often change clubs for every swing.

Then I finish by picking either a small target green at 100 or 150 yards (wish there were more options).  I take 10 balls and see how many I can hit on that green and how close they are to the pin.

I spend from 1 1/2 to 3 hours on the range doing these drills.  Now that it is Summer in Florida, I am closer to 1 1/2 hours, and then usually I head out and play either 9 or 18 holes.  Also I will take some time on the range to sit, have some water, and review what I have accomplished and what to do next.

Since we are only talking about the range, .....  I did not mention putting or short game practice.  That is a whole other topic.

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

Which is good-If you want to stay a higher handicapper or whatever.

Most good players And All the good players looking to improve use the range for more than just warming up.

Some of us enjoy playing the game and can improve by going out on the course. i already have one job and do not need the range to be  a second one. i never learned how to punch out of trees effectively until i was under them several times. what may be good for you does not necessarily fit everyone else. my back can not take extensive time hitting balls or putting. Am i happy flirting with breaking 80? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, meenman said:

Some of us enjoy playing the game and can improve by going out on the course. i already have one job and do not need the range to be  a second one. i never learned how to punch out of trees effectively until i was under them several times. what may be good for you does not necessarily fit everyone else. my back can not take extensive time hitting balls or putting. Am i happy flirting with breaking 80? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!

You sound defensive.-And making excuses. If your back can tolerate playing golf it can tolerate a 20-minute range session hitting 30 golf balls.

And you do not need to be under trees to learn to punch out.

It is fine if you want to just play golf-No need to make it your job like you said. But you are lying to yourself if you think you are getting better without actual practi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I may have missed it in earlier posts, but golf play, and practice also offers a therapeutic value to some golfers. 

I use the range for therapeutic value in addition to keeping my game from going down the drain too soon. The full swings I take on the range, help to keep some of my repaired body parts in decent working order.

This range exercising helps me to do other things besides play golf. Heck, just getting out of bed  could be a tough endeavor some mornings, if not for wanting to go hit golf balls. 

I am also sure there is mental value involved too. Thinking about what I have to do, to get the ball to go out there by that particular flag stick, with that particular club,  has some mental health value. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Patch said it for me. Sometimes the golf play and practice are about all the real exercise I get for the week (in addition to resistance bands and other gentle exercises to loosen up cranky old joints). I do use LSW for some short practice sessions on my priorities. And I always have a target distance within my range for that club. But I also just like to hit balls to watch the ball in flight when well-struck. There really is something mentally satisfying, maybe even spiritual, about that. Best, -Marv 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've kinda turned into a range rat. Not that I'm some kind of Hoganesque hit-500-balls-a-day guy, but I mean that in my younger days I rarely practiced; I just wanted to play. But it seems like in the past couple of years I prefer hitting a couple of buckets at the range over playing. Odd. I haven't played a round since April, but I've hit the range a good 20-25 times since then. Make me wonder at times, what exactly am I practicing for

And I guess the answer is, cuz I enjoy it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, zipazoid said:

I've kinda turned into a range rat. Not that I'm some kind of Hoganesque hit-500-balls-a-day guy, but I mean that in my younger days I rarely practiced; I just wanted to play. But it seems like in the past couple of years I prefer hitting a couple of buckets at the range over playing. Odd. I haven't played a round since April, but I've hit the range a good 20-25 times since then. Make me wonder at times, what exactly am I practicing for

And I guess the answer is, cuz I enjoy it. 

I enjoy practice as well. I find it can be relaxing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I enjoy practice as well. I find it can be relaxing.

Some people find work relaxing too...

Range sessions are satisfying if things are going well, but I definitely don’t find them relaxing. I suppose if I stopped after 30 balls of “practice” then just knocked a few balls for fun after that it could be relaxing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Went over to the range today and found these two beauties sitting in the used clubs bin.  

Probably not very good practice, but I just spent the whole time hitting them.   Not many more satisfying feelings than striping a tiny 3-iron.. 

 

34C18282-E352-4086-9761-FF54E2CA21DF.thumb.jpeg.363c3d93e93052eb2e0af31400a63578.jpegCD939BF9-A91C-4107-A70D-2C2B307A5FA0.thumb.jpeg.aecda03571e50a66f824672287fa7640.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, lastings said:

Went over to the range today and found these two beauties sitting in the used clubs bin.  

Probably not very good practice, but I just spent the whole time hitting them.   Not many more satisfying feelings than striping a tiny 3-iron.. 

 

34C18282-E352-4086-9761-FF54E2CA21DF.thumb.jpeg.363c3d93e93052eb2e0af31400a63578.jpegCD939BF9-A91C-4107-A70D-2C2B307A5FA0.thumb.jpeg.aecda03571e50a66f824672287fa7640.jpeg

You found my very first Wilson 3i that I lost many years ago!  I played these from 8th grade until mid-1970s! My set was 3-5-7-9 , 1-3-5 woods and a driver.  Added a 2i, Putter was a bullseye!  (In all honesty, probably went to Goodwill or the like. Though I did live in Wisconsin and played golf at my cousin's house in MN)

Edited by DrMJG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DrMJG said:

You found my very first Wilson 3i that I lost many years ago!  I played these from 8th grade until mid-1970s! My set was 3-5-7-9 , 1-3-5 woods and a driver.  Added a 2i, Putter was a bullseye!  (In all honesty, probably went to Goodwill or the like. Though I did live in Wisconsin and played golf at my cousin's house in MN)

Ha!  That’s funny. 

On a side note, why don’t club makers use player sponsors anymore?  (Can’t really tell from the pic, but that 7-iron is a Gary Player RAMs).   I actually think that is pretty cool.   Probably ruined by Nicklaus clubs..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/22/2018 at 2:28 AM, Lihu said:

Some people find work relaxing too...

Range sessions are satisfying if things are going well, but I definitely don’t find them relaxing. I suppose if I stopped after 30 balls of “practice” then just knocked a few balls for fun after that it could be relaxing?

relaxing if my swing is in tune .... I think the best part of the driving range is the fact I don't have to look for the ball I hooked/slice into the trees and beyond when I try and create a different shot or push for extra distance 

As we know the difference between the range and the course is the mental side of the game ...some of my favorite golf is practicing on the course when its quite playing 2-3 balls over 9 holes etc dropping another ball 240 out for your second on a PAR5

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, lastings said:

Ha!  That’s funny. 

On a side note, why don’t club makers use player sponsors anymore?  (Can’t really tell from the pic, but that 7-iron is a Gary Player RAMs).   I actually think that is pretty cool.   Probably ruined by Nicklaus clubs..

Possibly, but Nike had the Victory Red TW irons for a while.  When I wanted a new PW and GW back in the day, I got them from that set.  I still have them but I don't think the grooves are legal (too bad, because the GW is 52 degrees and not-super-low-bounce which I sort of want to put in the bag).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/21/2018 at 10:28 AM, Lihu said:

Some people find work relaxing too...

Range sessions are satisfying if things are going well, but I definitely don’t find them relaxing. I suppose if I stopped after 30 balls of “practice” then just knocked a few balls for fun after that it could be relaxing?

I love figuring out things on the range. I'll hit a shot & think, okay that went left. Why? 

Sure, you can look at it as "work," and in a way it is, but to me it's a very relaxed definition of work - labor of love maybe more appropriate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2018 at 2:36 PM, JonMA1 said:

When I go out and play a round as I did today, it's easy to ask myself why I even bother to practice. I am certain there will be no real improvement in my game in years to come. The hour spent practicing could be put towards home improvements or something... anything a bit more substantial than golf. 

Sorry to chime in on this thread late...newbie here...learning the game. When I bought my starter set of Top Flite clubs last fall, I told myself even if I never get out onto a course, I have these to head to the range and blow off steam every now and again. Now I am headed out for my first time ever on Friday with my uncle, but my original sentiment still stands. Even if I stink on the course, golf is a nice distraction from the stresses of life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...