IGNORED

What's your biggest problem in golf?

fredwest
Note: This thread is 2061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 minutes ago, Lihu said:

This is generally what most people have experienced with lofted wedges.

This video helps...

Yep, that video is the cause of my significantly better pitching play.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/17/2018 at 7:49 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

My problem with golf is two-fold. Part one is growing older, Part two is having a memory. A memory of how I used to be able to play! Sometimes reality is a hard pill to swallow.

Played a course Friday where the 18th is a par 4, uphill, of 410 yards from the Senior tees! I hit maybe my best drive of the day and had 190 in. A pretty well struck 3 wood came up just short.

I've lost significant distance in just the last 2 years. I've been working on flexibility and strength to try to keep from losing any more. No more playing the white tees for me!

^ This. i refuse to resign myself to playing old man's golf, carrying a bag full of whippy shafted hybrids and woods, and playing from the ladies tees. I find my self tensing up and trying too hard to hit the ball and trying to hit the ball too hard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lack of courses, long rounds, long commutes, mediocre practice facilities. It is just a major time suck. And zoning out in the last hour of a round. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

In terms of my game, it's hard to list just one.

1. Overswing. Not just with the arms, but I also let my whole body rip open fairly uncontrolled. 

2. Pulling my irons. Now that I have managed to get the ball flighted on my iron swings, I pull them.

3. Topping short chips. I get nervous of swinging too hard, that's it.

In terms of the Philosophy of golf, theres only one that I've noticed thus far (just over 2 months)

It really drags me down to hear people complain about their own poor play on the course. Maybe it's just been my luck, but most strangers I've played with you would think their dog died by the end of the game. Even my buddies spend most of their air whining about their game (some of these folks are quite good golfers).

Not to say you shouldn't be critical and just be happy with poor play, but I've heard more than a few people talk about quitting golf, taking a break, wondering why they play, calling themselves names on course. It's wearing.

Edited by whitewatersalvo

good question. I used to think short game, putting and then chipping. I've worked hard the last 2 years on these areas and, I swear, I've improved there, yet this doesn't show as much as it should in my scores. Now, it seems to be duffing approach shots and then compounding errors on the hole, carrying this into the next hole. So, consistency, course management, making stupid decisions on shot and club choice might be my biggest problem area now.

3 hours ago, 308 Ragin Cajun said:

^ This. i refuse to resign myself to playing old man's golf, carrying a bag full of whippy shafted hybrids and woods, and playing from the ladies tees. I find my self tensing up and trying too hard to hit the ball and trying to hit the ball too hard.

There’s really no need to move to whippy clubs like that unless your nominal launch angle is less than a few degrees :-D

However, as you get older you will swing slower, so it’s good to get a decent fitting now and then.

Back on topic...

From the many responses I’ve read here, a lot of the issues seem to be self inflicted?

I suppose the very act of playing golf is an affliction 🤪

I firmly believe that I’m playing the best possible golf I can play given my age and skill level. My swing speed is as fast as I can muster without hurting myself and my putting and iron games are about as good as I can realistically play without spending 40 hours a week practicing the necessary skills to get better.

Good practice is important, but you really need a lot of talent and practice to get good at this game. It’s a hard game.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Trying to improve while I'm playing.

Forgetting the last bad shot 

Forgetting what my handicap is

Forgetting to enjoy the walk

As one who has taught a physical activity (singing opera) for many years, I often heard from students (as well as higher level professionals I worked with) doubting skill gets in the way.  So I read of much in this thread about doubting they are going to make the shot, doubting if the chose the right cub, or thinking too much about the last stroke.

When I was being coached at a very high level by one of the best ever, he once shouted at me "Damn it! Stop being a teacher, just sing!"  I took that to mean: you can't sing freely because you know too much! Many of us have to stop worrying so much about so much "what we know" and just do.  You cannot, in a performance correct a wrong note.  You can learn from it.

I have had to take that to my golf game now. You cannot in a match in golf, go back and re-do a wrong stroke. Just remember what to do the next time it comes up.

No, I do not play at a senior PGA levels, heck I am still working to come closer to breaking 90 this year.  But, when I am on the course and don't overthink too much, I play with fun and confidence.  After the round, yes I go over what was terrible and what I can do better because I know better.  I spend more time deciding what was good, even if not perfect.  We hold a lot in our minds over the game, and at the range we do things better, often, then on the course. THAT is working for me, when I get out of my way.  Overthinking makes us too immobile.

In the words of the great golf coach, Yoda: There is no try, only do!

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 1

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

10 hours ago, DrMJG said:

So I read of much in this thread about doubting they are going to make the shot, doubting if the chose the right cub, or thinking too much about the last stroke.

There is a lot of wisdom in this post. As my game has gotten better, my confidence has increased, and consequently my game has gotten even better and my confidence has increased even more. It is a good sequence of spiraling, and cascading events. The opposite can happen and doubt can creep in and that is when things can fall apart and collapse. If you are not sure where the ball will go on your next shot, and if all there is happens to be fear, then you are in a bad spot. But, if you persevere great things can happen. I don't play mulligans any more and I putt all putts until they hit the bottom of the cup. It is important for the mind to know that an errant shot is not the end of the world and that you can make that downhill, sliding, 3 foot putt. 

There is no better feeling than standing over the ball when you know that you have the right club in your hand for the present shot and that it can and will be a great one. Conversely it is an unsettling feeling when the opposite is happening. Practice, focus, supreme concentration, and a positive mind can get you to hit that shot as well as you are able. 

Repeatable swing. I've been an on again, off again player for probably 20yrs, with some long lay offs in between. Up to this year I last played in 2011. I find some days I hit the ball very good, some days I can't hit it at all. And by that I mean EVERYTHING is a shank, snap hook, fat, sideways off the toe. 

I believe my biggest problem with that is my tempo. No matter how many times I tell myself "nice and easy, easy take away to the top, then let the club do the work" once I engage that first take away move I'm way too fast. If I could find some solution to this issue I would be in much better shape. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In the bag:

Driver: :tmade: '07 Burner Draw 10.5 
3/4 Hybrid: :adams: Idea a205
Irons: :tmade: Burner Plus  

-

Griz what kinda putter you stroking it with these days ?

I see it can be common with single digit players, pros too. Putting here as well...

Cameron Studio 4* Super stroke grip, 6 years left hand low has added fractions my consistency. Still missing 6' footers on what seems to be all too often regularity.

Edited by PeterB

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Cameron Studio 4* Super stroke grip, 6 years left hand low has added fractions my consistency. Still missing 6' footers on what seems to be all too often regularity.

How often do you miss six footers?  The problem might be putting and it might be expectations.  Scratch golfers make about 55% of their 6' putts, with 90-golfers making about 39%.  With an index of 12, if you make half of your 6', you're doing pretty darn well.  

Putting was my big weakness at the start of summer (putted at 25 handicap level despite being a 14 handicap), it's now much better (last two rounds putted at 5 hcp level, can't expect that every round but it's nice).  But part of that was having the right set of expectations.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

-

I've read it 3 times Sindiger so it sinks in. Makes perfect sense Michael. If single digit players only make them 55% of the time what makes me think I should make them more than they do.

In my mind, I do practice putting quite a bit (couple hours, prob close to 3 hrs a week). Ballbuster is when I miss 3'rs too. Humbling game I hate to love ha ha

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback. Enjoy your evening

ebola_dc94c472c64d897103c4ec3b3973d669eaeaaa46.jpg

I haven't reached the sort of consistency level where one or two things stand out as weaknesses.

It really depends on the day... I struggled a lot early with a slice. I've taken three lessons this year and they have helped. My last three rounds I was drawing the ball and I've picked up about 10 yards on every club. I've had to make adjustments to account for it. I don't have a great feel for it - it's just happening. This worries me that it will go away soon and I'll struggle to get it back.

I've putted horribly of late, but putted incredibly well my last round. So it comes and goes....

My biggest issue at this point is just TIME. Finding the time to go to the range and even finding the time to play 18, which I very rarely do. Most of the time, I'm squeezing in 9 holes on a weekend morning or a weekday evening. Until I can find more time, I doubt I'll be able to establish much consistency.

I have seen myself improve and I know I could improve 10x if I just had more time....

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

My biggest problem is the bad habit of lifting my head up just before impact.  2nd biggest problem is losing tempo resulting in ‘overswinging’ (trying to kill the ball).  Lastly...”confidence”!!

Once you lose confidence, it’s over...till you can get it back.  So, when we think about all these ‘swing keys’, it becomes a real challenge to hit decent shots.

Great topic.

Biggest problem in golf at the mment is lack of time to play. With two boys aged 5 and 2 playing time is at a premium although I dont mind as time spent with them at this age is important and im sure i'll miss them at this age when they get to their terrible teens!!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 2061 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!