IGNORED

PGA Tour Players are Whiny Spoiled Babies?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Whiny, Spoiled Babies  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Are today's PGA Tour players whiny, spoiled babies?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Wow, if that's what it takes to be considered "whiny and spoiled", I'd hate to see you react to real whiny and spoiled attitudes are.

Your definition of such behaviours? 

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

17 hours ago, Shorty said:

5. Shake their heads in disbelief and "laugh" when a poorly judged chip shot rolls back towards them.

I don’t mind this. If they hit a bad shot and laugh it off I don’t care. If they’re laughing as if it’s the courses fault they hit a bad shot...ehh

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've played some fast greens where the greens keeper had put holes on crests and putts meander passed the hole downhill from both sides. I felt like it was an unfair pin placement. Table top greens with tiny margins would be frustrating as well. I think these guys are so good with modern equipment that they almost have to make it unplayable to make it a real challenge or keep the scores down. I think it is okay for them once in a while but I also understand voicing frustration when the balance is lost due to conditions. I think as golfers we all have expectations of our game and when it is considerably outside of our norm, we vent a bit, pro or not. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

17 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm not saying (nor is the OP, I don't think) that PGA Tour players don't work hard.

That bears repeating. They work very hard. They have put in countless hours, even when they didn't want to. The dedication and mental toughness it takes to get to the tour alone leaves me amazed. Of course they are whiners. We all are whiners, excuse makers, and have a randomness of narcissism. They are not machines. Well, except DJ and Koepka. Imagine a tour of copies of them. Crash.

Wayne

14 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Your definition of such behaviours? 

It would require way more than a comment, laugh, shake of the head, or incredulous look when something doesn't go their way. I think I may have seen a handful of instances of what I would consider whiny/spoiled behavior in all the time I have watched PGA on television, but they are few and far between.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 hour ago, georgep said:

With the absolute nature of the phrasing, I have to vote no. While I think there are definitely occasions when a pro (some more than others) might be whiny and act like a bratty child, I certainly don't think you can say they all are or even most on a given day. 

Plus, how many of us don't sometimes get whiny when the golf gods have seemingly forsaken us? I'm not proud of it, but I have had a few golf tantrums on a course that would not have played well had their been a TV camera documenting my theatrics. 

Now, are they spoiled? The kind of money that can be made by merely making cuts and not even sniffing the leaderboard? The perks from tourneys? The endorsement deals?  Heck yes, they are spoiled! But many of them realize that and do a lot of good with that privilege, as well. Plus, most have worked hard to get where they are. It's pretty easy for any of us to sometimes forget just how good we actually have it. 

I don’t think the guys on tour finishing dead last every week by just making the cut are exactly rolling in dough.  Could be wrong, but after paying for travel and caddie expenses I can’t imagine they take home a lot.  I would say the percentage of tour plays this thread takes aim at is a very small percentage

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I voted "no" in relation to the rest of the first world population. Most of us (who are still working) bitch about some part of our jobs. Tour players are doing what seems to come naturally to the rest of the population.

It's just easy (myself included) to criticize those whose livelihoods involve something we consider to be a leisure activity in our lives.

• Upvote 1

Jon

3 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

I don’t mind this. If they hit a bad shot and laugh it off I don’t care. If they’re laughing as if it’s the courses fault they hit a bad shot...ehh

Which is why I put the word laugh in inverted commas. It's never their fault. Their laugh is always ironic - as if to say it's ridiculous and not their fault.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Bottom line is that, to me, Zach Johnson's opinion matters a ton or two more to me than this guy..........

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

Which is why I put the word laugh in inverted commas. It's never their fault. Their laugh is always ironic - as if to say it's ridiculous and not their fault.

You are not in their heads. Maybe they just can't believe they missed the shot. Jack Nicklaus never took blame either. Kept himself from getting down on himself. Everyone reacts differently to their mistakes, some laugh it off. There's nothing wrong with that. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I don't know about anyone else here, but I talk to my ball. And I cuss it big time if it doesn't do what I expect!

If there's a strong left to right wind blowing on a par 3, and hit a beautiful shot to the left hand part of the green, and it doesn't move back toward the hole, I'm going to cuss up a storm!

Where's the wind! Help me out, already!

Of course, If I'm not looking at Trackman data, I might not realize that I put enough hook spin on the ball to hold it into that left to right wind!

As Iacas has said, golf is hard!

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

Bottom line is that, to me, Zach Johnson's opinion matters a ton or two more to me than this guy..........

Not everyone playing in the U.S. Open agreed with Zach Johnson.

So do you take Patrick Reed's opinion as seriously as Zach's? How about the guy who won?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I wonder how many of the PGA Tour players actually thought the same opinions of those who voiced them. I also wonder if there are a small number of golfers who continually whine about a course. 

In the end, the golfers play the same course. The get the same bad bounces. If a hole ends up being unfair, then it is unfair to everyone. Take unfair, move on. 

I am going to withhold voting because I am not sure this is a good general consensus of where the golfer's mentality are at today on the PGA tour. 

No. I get all the bad bounces and my HS buddy gets all the good ones. 😀

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I don't see them doing anything other people don't do on the course.  Talk to the ball, grumble about outcomes, comment on the layout.

Particulary competitive people.

For every little gesture of a pro on TV, frankly, I see a lot more whining by spectators about that gesture - long after the pro has moved on to the next shot.

meh - yet it's a good topic just to see what people think.  I suspect that there are whiney players, but I don't generalize that to the entire group.  People are individuals.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

3 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

I don't see them doing anything other people don't do on the course.  Talk to the ball, grumble about outcomes, comment on the layout.

Particulary competitive people.

For every little gesture of a pro on TV, frankly, I see a lot more whining by spectators about that gesture - long after the pro has moved on to the next shot.

meh - yet it's a good topic just to see what people think.  I suspect that there are whiney players, but I don't generalize that to the entire group.  People are individuals.

I agree with you, hell, you'd expect them to be more demonstrative given how good they are. When they have a bad shot or bad break it is probably more annoying to them than it is to us.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Some are whiny spoiled babies. I would say most are not. Just as with everything else in life.

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

Note: This thread is 2124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!