IGNORED

Practicing Weeks (Months) Hitting Just One/Few Clubs?

bones75
Note:Β This thread is 1974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

20 minutes ago, AltGolfer said:

Who cares about an extra 20-30 yards?Β 

An extra 20 yards, with the same angular accuracy, is worth a little more than one stroke per round to someone of OP's ability.Β  So... that's who.

20 minutes ago, AltGolfer said:

Rather be close to the pin and 1 putt.

I'd love to be closer to the pin and one putt.Β  But the upper level a 10 handicap is really capable of is PGA Tour level short game (and most adult 10 handicappers won't get there), and they get up and down maybe 2/3 of the time, if that, and from much better positions than a 10 handicap is likely to land in, especially if he or she foolishly practices short game more than about a third.

Short gameΒ reallyΒ shouldn't be practiced more than about a third of the time unless it's a glaring weakness ... compared not to what one can do on Xbox, but to what one could conceivably get to in reality.Β 

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If I picked aΒ clubΒ I hit best and most during typical rounds it'd be: 5 hybrid, 8 iron, or PW. The questions, for me, would be the questions you're asking: If I only hit those would I get worse on the other clubs?, If I hit the clubs I'm not so confident and skilled with, would I lose it on the clubs I hit the most? I fear the answers to both.

Personally, I might purchase a set of clubs--not a full set, but more than a couple 2nd hand cheap from internet retailers and store them in a locker at the course or at work or somewhere. I could sell these back to a used store at home when my work gig was overΒ and not lose much from doing so.Β If nothing else, this would save me from a lot of anxiety.

Of course, I'm a higher handicapper and seem to have different results with different clubs for reasons I don't fully understand. Anyway, good luck to you. Interesting issue.

On 8/3/2018 at 2:23 PM, AltGolfer said:

Why people neglecting the short game..

I personally would get a sand wedge and a putter.

You can work on your swing, practice distance control and even use the dang thing for chipping around the greens. Triple threat.

Also grab yourself a putter for you know putting.

For me it's Driver, 7 iron and putter. If I'm limited to two clubs, putter and 7 iron.

• 2 months later...
On 8/3/2018 at 3:42 PM, AltGolfer said:

Slamming your driver nonstop like most people do on the range isn't going to improve your game, but practicing your distance control, chipping and short game will.

I agree. This is a no brainer and anyone that thinks otherwise is, uhh. Won't say it but we know.Β Β Short game is critical to scoring. Β You can hit it long off the teeΒ all day long but, if you can't get it on the greenΒ after that and at least two putt,Β it is simply a waste. Β "Hey man, nice drive and sorry you made a big number." Β Β 

• Administrator
On 10/24/2018 at 7:51 PM, RST Rebuild said:

I agree. This is a no brainer and anyone that thinks otherwise is, uhh. Won't say it but we know.Β Β Short game is critical to scoring. Β You can hit it long off the teeΒ all day long but, if you can't get it on the greenΒ after that and at least two putt,Β it is simply a waste. Β "Hey man, nice drive and sorry you made a big number." Β Β 

πŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ

This isn't an area that's highly opinionated right now, because we haveΒ factsΒ out there. The biggest separation between two different ability levels is in approach shots, then driving. Putting and short game account for about 33% of the differences (combined) only. In general.

Back to the topic, please.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Going with Pelz on this one. "Pelz Golf Institute research has proven that golfers lose almost 80 percent of their shots to par inside of 100 yards from the hole".

I would bring a wedge and a putter if I had to choose only two clubs. Β Replace the putter with a 6i or 7i if no putting green available.

Wedge and 7i for me! Β 

Edited by RST Rebuild

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, RST Rebuild said:

Going with Pelz on this one. "Pelz Golf Institute research has proven that golfers lose almost 80 percent of their shots to par inside of 100 yards from the hole".

I would bring a wedge and a putter if I had to choose only two clubs. Β Replace the putter with a 6i or 7i if no putting green available.

There are plenty of discussions here on the site about this stuff. Pelz is either using a very misleading statistic or just flat out wrong (andΒ incredibly biased).

But… back to topic, again. Final request.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

If it was me, I would bring 4.

5W, 6i, 50Β wedge, putter*

*If I was staying in a small place and alone, id putt around working on stroke and touch.

Mid iron would beΒ myΒ priority to work on mechanics. I’d also work on scoring shots and flighting my wedges but this is a current weakness for me. I spent a year only doing full swing work and neglected scoring shots from 70-110.

• 5 weeks later...

I would bring a sand wedge, it’s my warm up club and chipping club; also I would rotate between a 6iron and 3wood if you go back and fourth. I actually need to limit the clubs is hit at the range...seriously

I ride a motorcycle so i canΒ΄t carry a lot of clubs. when i go to the driving range i always carry the same 3 clubs: PW, 7 iron, 4 iron aka: short iron, mid iron, long iron. ThatΒ΄s because i always struggle with approach shots. (thatΒ΄s why i improved it a lot).

About the offtopic..
I agree that what separate players the most itΒ΄s long game (tee and approach shots), but thatΒ΄s in general. You canΒ΄t use that against someone that said that he need to really focus on short game to improve his score.

At least in my case iΒ΄m currentlyΒ loossing 4.6 strokes against a pro:
SG Driving: -1,9 (I carry 250, pro 290, broady said that 40 yards equals to 2 strokes so iΒ΄m a decent driver for my length)
SG Approach: -0,1
SG Around the green: -0,4
SG Putting: -2,2

In my case I really need to focus my practice on putting, driving it further or straighter and a bit around the green.

But as you can see if i focus my practice on the short game (-2,6)Β i can gain more strokes than if i focus it on the long game (-2). Β Β 
Β 

Β 

• iacas changed the title to Practicing Weeks (Months) Hitting Just One/Few Clubs?
22 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

About the offtopic..
I agree that what separate players the most itΒ΄s long game (tee and approach shots), but thatΒ΄s in general. You canΒ΄t use that against someone that said that he need to really focus on short game to improve his score.

At least in my case iΒ΄m currentlyΒ loossing 4.6 strokes against a pro:
SG Driving: -1,9 (I carry 250, pro 290, broady said that 40 yards equals to 2 strokes so iΒ΄m a decent driver for my length)
SG Approach: -0,1
SG Around the green: -0,4
SG Putting: -2,2

In my case I really need to focus my practice on putting, driving it further or straighter and a bit around the green.

But as you can see if i focus my practice on the short game (-2,6)Β i can gain more strokes than if i focus it on the long game (-2). Β Β 
Β 

Β 

This should be moved to one of the many threads concerning this topic, but continuing off topic, I would first ask where you are getting your strokes gained data? If your data is solid, I would say your weakness is putting and you might want to concentrate a bit more practice time to it. That being said be very careful with your practice time and make sure it is productive. Going out and putting indiscriminately not working on a specific area of your stroke will not net you your desired improvement.Β I see guys all the time at the course "working" on their putting by hitting 20 foot putt after 20 foot putt. No thought to mechanics, no thought as to what they are specifically working on. No idea even what their specific problem is.Β 

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

On topic:

Commuting coast to coast.Β  Why restrict to just a club or two?

Get a cheap used 2nd set and keep it at the office (or work trailer, or a local friend at the new site, you might even find a friendly course there that would let you store them or rent a locker or something).Β  Practice and play when you can.

Bill -Β 

26 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

On topic:

Commuting coast to coast.Β  Why restrict to just a club or two?

Get a cheap used 2nd set and keep it at the office (or work trailer, or a local friend at the new site, you might even find a friendly course there that would let you store them or rent a locker or something).Β  Practice and play when you can.

This! IΒ practice with my old set of irons. In case of losing or breaking them it doesnΒ΄t matter. I never practice with my gaming set. Putter and wedges are easy and "cheap" to replace so sometimes they are the exception.Β 

39 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

This should be moved to one of the many threads concerning this topic, but continuing off topic, I would first ask where you are getting your strokes gained data? If your data is solid, I would say your weakness is putting and you might want to concentrate a bit more practice time to it. That being said be very careful with your practice time and make sure it is productive. Going out and putting indiscriminately not working on a specific area of your stroke will not net you your desired improvement.Β I see guys all the time at the course "working" on their putting by hitting 20 foot putt after 20 foot putt. No thought to mechanics, no thought as to what they are specifically working on. No idea even what their specific problem is.Β 

Absolutely! Besides that i have SG Short putts (-1,9), SG Mid Putts (-0,2), SG Long Putts (-0,1).
I consider short putts everything inside 10 feet and I really need to work on them. CanΒ΄t roll my putts in my intended line consistently. So iΒ΄m working on it.Β Β 

I usually play with full set, and practice with about 1/2 the set.Β  Β This year, due to various injuries, the only thing I can do were chip and putt.Β  Β Since I am retired and have a club membership, I went to the course and played full round only putting and chipping.Β  Β I practiced putting off the green, something I don't do well.Β  Β I always chipped off of green.Β  Β Anyway, the injuries were blessing in disguise as I finally feel comfortable putting off of green.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note:Β This thread is 1974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!