IGNORED

Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)

AltGolfer
Note: This thread is 1700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, klineka said:

:offtopic:

come on no GIF by Shalita Grant

I really like the new GIF feature.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess I've always been lucky, as I hit it further than most of my peers when I started playing and continued to do so thru high school, college, and up til today.  In fact, now at 47, my buddies (who are all great players) seem to be falling off faster than me.  Some have wider swings, some relatively long. Others short and fast.  

I'm no instructor, and would never give swing advice to anyone without having put in the time and gained the expertise in 1) mechanics and 2) TEACHING.

I've often wondered about the arms vs. body debate, but instinctually I feel that it is just an interpretation of the same thing.  When I'm hitting the ball well - long, high, and with little concern for quality of contact and confidence in direction to a reasonable margin of error - it FEELS like a body swing because I am not aware of my arms flexing or applying pressure during the downswing.  But they are.  For me, concentrating on a deep and wide turn back helps me avoid not making a full shoulder turn and weight shift on the backswing.  Because when I do do that (make a "lazy" backswing), my downswing become steep, swing speed drops and my hands/arms can feel it at the end of the day from all the manipulation they are trying to impart to save the shot.  So for me, a good swing feels as if it's driven by the core and the arms follow along in a relaxed manner.  I don't consciously release. It happens naturally, and gradually if my plane and turn are correct. 

But if I were a very body-oriented player (picture a swing like Z. Johnson - you see more turn than lift or arms separation) where my default is too little, I'd probably be saying I feel more like I need to get my backswing started with the arms, etc. etc. 

My takeaway from all this is that arms are critical to speed but you need to move the core right to let them work properly unless you have crazy motor control over your hands/arms. They both matter.

And then of course, most important of all, is to sole the club properly. 😋

Edited by 3jacker

55 minutes ago, iacas said:

Too bad you're in a timeout.

tenor.gif.b2beaa50a6399408ec48fc1deb4695a5.gif

@iacas Please do not ever let him out.

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, I missed out on a lot, apparently 🤪😂🤪

I’ve just been too busy writing code for robots these days... 🧐

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

53 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Ooh, I missed out on a lot, apparently 🤪😂🤪

I’ve just been too busy writing code for robots these days... 🧐

Don't worry, it's just the same back and forth as the previous pages over and over again. You didn't miss as much as you might think, but there's some good drama to be had if you've got the time.

I am intrigued by the second sentence though, you should shoot me a PM (if you're allowed to talk about it, that is) to avoid too much off-topic in this thread that already frequently ends up off the rails.

Interesting today first time I'd played in Club Comp with a Guy (8-HC) that really thought he was a Driving machine ... which many times he was pushing it past 300yards but not by much.

He himself stated he could push it towards 380yard but just wasn't hitting it good enough so the Group didn't see much over 300ish

Cost me a couple of shots as even I was believing I couldn't hit it as far as Mr. Big hitter(I wasn't hitting it well from the start of the game wasn't helping my case) ... so when I decided to change my ball to the same TM TP5 over the Wilson Duo I was playing and finally collected it to a strong FADE out of sight off the tee... Mr. B.H hit it same direction ...

Now I straight away started looking back off his ball was close to a bank of tussocks after 5mins looking with the group that all though it wouldn't be as far as Mr. BH....I took the two-shot penalty ...

Then right after Mr. BH hit his shot he happen to see my ball further up in front of his 10y+ in a nice spot good look at the flag.etc (too bad he didn't see it when I asked him prior to taking the PS)

I was pissed at myself for not believing in my own distance of the tee with the high-end ball

Next hole I put it past him .. LOL

Edited by NZ Golfer

Go Foxy Go

Right could well have been the fact the Duo was an older ball as well maybe the TP5 was a better suited to my 110-116mph swing speed etc .. 

was playing with a Taylormade project A today which seemed to work well for me .. one of these days I'll go out and play Nine holes with three different balls see which one works best and buy 50x of them and just continue to use the same ball .. rather than play a different ball each round /hole just to see how they do ..

I've certainly gone off the orange Bridgestone E6 (or really any orange ball )

Go Foxy Go

Interesting that you say a lower compression ball gives you less spin. My experience, at least with a fairly high clubhead speed (124mph), is that most low compression golf balls spin like crazy off the tee and can be prone to ballooning. This at least was true in the past, I haven't tried many of those balls in quite some time.

That said, I think it's possible that this is changing. Up until 2015 I played a ProV1x, which was a ~100 compression ball, and then in 2015 used the newer Pro V1 because they finally made one that didn't have absurd spin off the tee and I liked the softer feel since the ProV1 is a ball with ~90 compression. In 2018 I actually switched to a Bridgestone Tour B XS, a 75 compression ball, because I found it gave me even more spin with wedge and an even softer feel without sacrificing distance off the tee.

It seems like ball manufacturers are figuring out how to make a low compression golf ball that doesn't have insane spin off the tee. The Pro V1 released in 2011 had so much spin off the tee that my ball would always embed in wet fairways (came down way too steep) and would get 3-5 yards of roll otherwise. The one released in 2013 was similar, but not quite as bad. The 2015 and 2017 Pro V1 revisions were much better in that respect and actually didn't seem to spin much more than a Pro V1x when hitting tee shots.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hit the Duo out of curiosity and was very much surprised.  It hung with the Pro V1.  I didn't hit enough to get a definitive sample size, but it was the same distance-wise as far as I could tell.  Definitely felt different.

I feel like just about any ball goes same distance off my driver. It is noticeable for me though that the lower compression balls have much less spin. But any well struck ball of a 5* driver isnt going to spin a ton. And I guess technically the duo softs and supersofts are advertised as a "distance" ball of all things. 

I was out playing on a very sunny, but very cold evening tonight. Found a pink Bridgestone Lady ball and hit it instead of the Pro V I had been using. I'm not positive, but it seemed to go further than the Pro V. Guess this is why guys used to use these in the cold. Pretty easy to find too in the leaves etc...Would give me an excuse to buy more balls that I don't need. I would actually buy pink ones because they would be so much easier to find in the fall when the courses are covered in leaves.

Lying about distance? What's the point? If you're actually planning your shots on each hole, how many holes do you actually get to hit away on ? A handful on 18 holes? (hopefully there is enough architectural character to your course that you get the opportunity to figure out which club is best suited for the tee box and you don't just default to the driver) Still, a skycaddie can measure all of this stuff and call it as it is.

DD

In the Bag

Driver - Taylormade R1 Black

FW - Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 15* 3-Metal

FW - Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 18* 5-Metal

Irons - Ping G15 4i-UW

Wedge - Ping Anser 54* SW

Wedge - Ping Tour-S 60* LW

Putter - Ping Anser 4

Ball - Top Flight D2+ Feel

Rangefinder - Callaway/Nikon LR550

On 4/16/2019 at 4:42 PM, Desert Driver said:

Lying about distance? What's the point? If you're actually planning your shots on each hole, how many holes do you actually get to hit away on ? A handful on 18 holes? (hopefully there is enough architectural character to your course that you get the opportunity to figure out which club is best suited for the tee box and you don't just default to the driver) Still, a skycaddie can measure all of this stuff and call it as it is.

DD

That's correct I use my 3w much more off the tee(when I have less margin for error from out of bounds / Trees) as I have far better control most of the time .. dealing with a pull to late hook issue early in my round with the driver at times  ... played yesterday at a different club with some local members..(One that kept wanting me to use my driver) Like I was saying to another bigger hitter coupe games ago... distance wise does it really matter to be going for 300+ if the second shot is only a difference of using a Wedge or 9i

I'm working hard to better my direction over length happy to give up 10-20yards for more fairways 

Edited by NZ Golfer

Go Foxy Go

On 4/15/2019 at 9:42 PM, Desert Driver said:

DD

It’s funny how threads like these end up being bragging threads in the form of “I hit normal distances, and can outdrive everyone I meet” or “Mr. Big hitter doesn’t hit as far as me when I’m really trying” or whatever 😂😂🤪😂

BTW, I hit normal distances, and never had anyone hit farther than me and when they do it turns out they’re pros! Only they can...sometimes... 😂😂😂

Yeah, those 140 yard doglegs can be a PITA sometimes 😂

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

4 minutes ago, Lihu said:

It’s funny how threads like these end up being bragging threads in the form of “I hit normal distances, and can outdrive everyone I meet” or “Mr. Big hitter doesn’t hit as far as me when I’m really trying” or whatever 😂😂🤪😂

BTW, I hit normal distances, and never had anyone hit farther than me and when they do it turns out they’re pros! Only they can...sometimes... 😂😂😂

I like it when guys happen to drop that their swing speed is only in the 120s. 

Average Golf Swing Speed Chart
Swing Speed Rank & Name Average Swing speed Fastest Speed
#2 Rory McIlroy 122 mph 125 mph
#4 Tiger Woods 122 mph 129 mph
#5 Gary Woodland 122 mph 126 mph
#6 Tony Finau 122 mph 127 mph

4 minutes ago, hoganbenn said:

I like it when guys happen to drop that their swing speed is only in the 120s. 

Average Golf Swing Speed Chart
Swing Speed Rank & Name Average Swing speed Fastest Speed
#2 Rory McIlroy 122 mph 125 mph
#4 Tiger Woods 122 mph 129 mph
#5 Gary Woodland 122 mph 126 mph
#6 Tony Finau 122 mph 127 mph

Yeah, “only” 😂😂😂

Remember, these guys only swing with 80% effort too... 😁

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1700 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!