IGNORED

Gary McCord Has Got to Stop Talking So Much

Daric
Note: This thread is 2032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seriously, I have to mute my TV every time he talks. It is not funny, he is not funny always having to crack jokes. His commentary takes away from the enjoyment of watching. I'm not calling for his job, but the cbs crew has got to tell him to stop talking so much it's seriously out of hand. You can easily tell the other commentators get annoyed.

Well, I like him. Wish there were more like him. If there were, I'd probably watch more televised golf. Today's players, and golf journalists come across as too arrogant for my interests. Besides, bikini waxed greens is a classic in my book. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

55 minutes ago, Patch said:

Well, I like him. Wish there were more like him. If there were, I'd probably watch more televised golf. Today's players, and golf journalists come across as too arrogant for my interests. Besides, bikini waxed greens is a classic in my book. 

Yep.  I like him too!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I like him too, flat out, i enjoy his commentary.  So much of televised golf is presented as if it's life and death serious, McCord is obviously having fun.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator

I dislike him. He tries too hard and he stopped being funny shortly after poop jokes stopped being funny. I like wit, insight, intelligent sarcasm… Gary offers none of the above.

Feherty played off him pretty well, but that was the only good thing about McCord.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I dislike him. He tries too hard and he stopped being funny shortly after poop jokes stopped being funny. I like wit, insight, intelligent sarcasm… Gary offers none of the above.

Feherty played off him pretty well, but that was the only good thing about McCord.

I was quite surprised to start off reading the two Daves actually like McCord. How in the world I can’t imagine. Then I read this and just felt better. Couldn’t agree more.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes - exactly!  He's not my most hated announcer (hi, Joe Buck!), but without Feherty, I think he's trying to hard and doesn't have anyone to "play off" of.

- John

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I was quite surprised to start off reading the two Daves actually like McCord. How in the world I can’t imagine. Then I read this and just felt better. Couldn’t agree more.

It takes a sophisticated intellect to genuinely appreciate quality humor...

:-)

• Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I’d prefer that Feherety and McCord be the only announcers in golf. Well .....get Trevino with em for the hat trick. I can SEE what’s going on, I don’t need analysis, entertain me for crying out loud

44 minutes ago, David in FL said:

It takes a sophisticated intellect to genuinely appreciate quality humor...

:-)

That’s what surprised me. You have that, as well as I. McCord is far from that. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Not a fan. It's not so much the amount of words he uses and the words themselves. I just don't get much entertainment out of it. Often too silly or dumb.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• iacas changed the title to Gary McCord Has Got to Stop Talking So Much

I tend to be reading posts from The Sand Trap while watching golf, so I don't really pay attention to the announcers much. 

I do wonder if his mustache is extra flammable with that wax in it. He should be careful around open flames.

mccord.jpg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

McCord's ok, I'm pretty ambivalent about his commentary.  I truly enjoy Feherty and Faldo. I enjoyed them when they would go back and forth on CBS.  I was totally shocked at how likeable I find Faldo.  During his playing days, I thought he was the biggest douche.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

I don't like McCord's style at all - it gets old and very annoying within seconds.  Actually, Faldo was getting quite tiresome during the Northern Trust too.  they lean on the trite stuff way too much instead of the tourney - IMO

I like Feherty, but I can't figure out why.  Put him in for a 'small' amount of funny and good commentary, add a few ex-caddies for background stories and info (NOT ex-pros, the caddies are better at this), and a Jim Nantz or two - that would be fine with me.

I don't like Miller or DD one bit - there's chips on those shoulders and it's not hidden.  And any announcer that even attempts to pronounce Jiminez or Schaufflele and I'm on mute.  That and "Golf" shot, whatever "of the golf ball", and gentlemen, it's called a "putt" - not an "effort".  And I don't care if they are made of metal or composite - we can still call them 'woods' - the public can handle it.

On the other hand, it's only golf, show me some cool shots and and a good contest and I'm usually fine.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Well it’s not only that he’s just not funny, it’s the awful sounds he makes. That annoying ‘mmmm ohhhhh mmmmmm’ He reminds of the kinda guy who spends most his time entertaining kids then gets around adults and thinks he’s still funny. 

I have to say I like him, then again I like a good poop joke as well. I mean did anyone hear him make fun of the fellow in the background yesterday, I cracked up because I was thinking the same thing. 

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

The repetitiveness of McCord I can live with.

Some of the comments work, many don't. I don't care.

On the whole, he's an asset to golf on TV (for me).

He's a freakin golf announcer.  He can't do it wrong . It's not important enough to get mad about.

Some of you need to really, really lighten up.

Note: This thread is 2032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!