iacas

Who is on Golf's Mount Rushmore?

139 posts / 9618 viewsLast Reply

There aren't enough heads.  You would have to have Jones, Hagen, Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, and Woods...at a minimum.  So...looking at this from another angle...who replaces who?  The only obvious choice, for me, is Hagen for Lincoln...they both were instrumental in freeing the "slaves".

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Danny Noonan over Ty Webb seven days a week!

"I'm a veg Danny"

You sir, are correct!

On 9/29/2018 at 3:32 PM, weekend hacker1 said:

100%

Seve

Nope.  Not even close.

37 minutes ago, Zekez said:

Nope.  Not even close.

Not American enough? I suppose the premise is American if it's a direct replacement for Mt Rushmore.

One of the Tom Morrises

One of the top designers - Mackenzie, Tillinghast, Ross, ...

Two more golfers -- Bobby Jones, Mickey Wright

Since Mt. Rushmore is an American monument, I will limit myself to U.S. players.

Jones, Hogan, Nicklaus, Woods

Limit to women (including international players playing primarily in the US):

Babe Zaharias, Mickey Wright, Annika Sorenstam, Nancy Lopez (although, once the South Korean women have finished writing their history, we might need to bump Nancy)

International (post 1900)

Seve Ballesteros, Gary Player, Nick Faldo, Greg Norman

On 10/1/2018 at 11:08 AM, Elmer said:

Last I checked, no one made a movie about Palmer, Nicklaus or Woods.
But they did make one about Francis Ouimet & Vardon!

And Hogan " Follow The Sun " with Glen Ford as Hogan

James Ogilvie Fairlie - he was the principal organizer of The Open Championship the first professional golf tournament.  

Harry Vardon - Golf's 1st "Superstar" who also has won more Open Championships then anyone and beat everyone in his era.  Harry Vardon was truly one of the best all time.

Ben Hogan - 

Jack Nicklaus

Edited by djake

19 minutes ago, djake said:

James Ogilvie Fairlie - he was the principal organizer of The Open Championship the first professional golf tournament.  

Harry Vardon - Golf's 1st "Superstar" who also has won more Open Championships then anyone and beat everyone in his era.  Harry Vardon was truly one of the best all time.

Ben Hogan - 

Jack Nicklaus

I dont see how you could possibly leave Tiger off this list. He was and is the most influential golfer EVER. Without question. 

IMO, Tiger is one of the most influential athletes ever too, across all sports. 

Just seems silly to leave him off the list.

18 hours ago, klineka said:

I dont see how you could possibly leave Tiger off this list. He was and is the most influential golfer EVER. Without question. 

IMO, Tiger is one of the most influential athletes ever too, across all sports. 

Just seems silly to leave him off the list.

Lists of this type are subjective, that in of itself is what makes them enjoyable. 

When I saw this thread show up I wanted to take some time to answer it, put some thought into it.  In my opinion I do not see anyone one person my list I presented that I would take off to add TW. 

Yes, I agree he is one of the most influential golfers ever but not the most influential ever.  Of this moment, no doubt.  Ever in golf, no.

TW is not, in my opinion even in the Top 10 of the Most Influential Athletes ever, compare TW to just this short list:

Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson, Mohammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Pele, Babe Didrikson Zaharias, Jim Thorpe, Michael Phelps, 1965-66 Texas Western Minors Basketball Team.

I like TW, he is a fantastic Golfer, one of the greatest Golfers ever.  He electrified the PGA again when it was close to the lowest point in it's history.  The USA PGA field was at it's weakest when TW entered and the PGA needed him desperately to succeed.   And succeed he did!  

Yet, TW is the most polarizing Golfer ever also. 

Once TW retires from the PGA, let's look at his total "body of work" in golf and review if he deserves to be on a "Mount Rushmore" of Golf.  Until then it would be silly to place him on one.

2 minutes ago, djake said:

Lists of this type are subjective, that in of itself is what makes them enjoyable. 

When I saw this thread show up I wanted to take some time to answer it, put some thought into it.  In my opinion I do not see anyone one person my list I presented that I would take off to add TW. 

Yes, I agree he is one of the most influential golfers ever but not the most influential ever.  Of this moment, no doubt.  Ever in golf, no.

TW is not, in my opinion even in the Top 10 of the Most Influential Athletes ever, compare TW to just this short list:

Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson, Mohammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Pele, Babe Didrikson Zaharias, Jim Thorpe, Michael Phelps, 1965-66 Texas Western Minors Basketball Team.

I like TW, he is a fantastic Golfer, one of the greatest Golfers ever.  He electrified the PGA again when it was close to the lowest point in it's history.  The USA PGA field was at it's weakest when TW entered and the PGA needed him desperately to succeed.   And succeed he did!  

Yet, TW is the most polarizing Golfer ever also. 

Once TW retires from the PGA, let's look at his total "body of work" in golf and review if he deserves to be on a "Mount Rushmore" of Golf.  Until then it would be silly to place him on one.

Yes, these lists are typically subjective..and due to that I strongly disagree with just about everything you wrote lol. 

Tiger was FAR and above more influential than Zaharias, Thorpe, Phelps, Minors basketball (seriously??) etc..He completely changed the landscape of Golf in a way that not even Palmer or Nicklaus was able to do. The scene at this years Tour Championship when he was walking up 18 was so telling of just how influential and meaningful he is to the game. 

I agree with @klineka, it is silly to leave him off...especially for the people that you placed on there. 

Palmer was similar in generating interest.

Before that it was about as popular as table tennis.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:24 AM, bkuehn1952 said:

Since Mt. Rushmore is an American monument, I will limit myself to U.S. players.

If that's the case I hope nobody picks John Daly , there wont be room for anybody else !