IGNORED

5 wood vs 3 hybrid

Note: This thread is 2015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The 5 wood should go further, comfortably.

From my own experience :

- hybrid will be easier off tee & rough

- hybrid should be straighter, although I'm more likely to miss left.

- 5 wood easier to curve when desired.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have an 18 degree 5 wood and a 19 degree hybrid in my bag.  The 5 wood is two inches longer than the hybrid and that results in a significant difference, in distance, off the tee.  Off the turf not so much.  From uneven lies I usually opt for the shorter club when the ball is above my feet and the longer club when the ball is below my feet.  I like both but if I could only carry one it would be the 5 wood.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have both and use the 5W off of the tee or when I have a very good lie.   The 3H is much easier to hit from the rough.

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Depends on how you hit them - the 5 wood has a bigger profile in the rough, and as a result, a hybrid is usually easier to get up and out from the deeper stuff. The HY also has a shorter shaft  - I play a 5 wd at 42 inches and some HY 3 are  40.5. Does that affect consistency? Maybe. Maybe not.

The 5 wood at 18 degrees or so will give you more distance (generally) and flight higher. When both are fit, I find more consistency with the 5 wood. Bigger head is more forgiving off tee and fairway and not shabby out of not too deep rough - depends on the footprint. I find lower lofted hybrids are tougher re consistency, and I don't play any hybrid under 20 - a Rogue 4HY is as low as I'll go because it's not a high spinner and need more shaft help to launch - it's my heavy wind day hybrid.

You've just got to hit both because I found that people take to both fwys and hybrids differently. Another odd factor is that I thought a D2 swingweight would work well for me - but my best long club is the 5 wood at D0. So I changed my other fairways to D0. Funny game, and it affects all of us differently as to club selection.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Personally, I'm not a hybrid guy. I learned to golf way back before hybrids came about. Back then everyone pretty much carried Driver, 3W, 5W, 3-9 Iron, PW, SW, LW, putter. Back then the big choice was 2 iron or gap wedge. Today there are so many more ways to fill out your bag. 

So, in answer to your question. I would put the 5W in the bag. I think the 5W is the most versatile club in the bag. I can fade or draw mine. Punch it low, bang it out of the rough, use it off the tee when the driver is sketchy, even chip off the fringe with it. I think if I'd learned golf in today's era I would have learned to do all of that with the hybrid. But I learned a while back so we learned to do all that with a 5-wood. "Hey, get off my lawn..."  

I find that today's hybrids are too "game improvey" if that's a word. Which means for me the hybrid goes left, left and more left. I'd rather hit a 4 iron. I also find that my 5 wood is just as good out of the rough as a hybrid. The head is smallish, I guess. I play a Ping G30 5-wood. … Must be the turbulators. 

One more thing. A few people I know who are not huge fans of hybrids go with the 7 wood. They find it more similar in distance to around a 4-hybrid and uber consistent in terms of performance. If you can get over the "old-man-club" stigma surrounding a 7 wood, you may want to try it. 

Anyway, my best advice is to look at what you need the club to do. What distance gap you are trying to fill. What situations on the course require the club. And then most importantly, Try before you buy. 

Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

One more thing. A few people I know who are not huge fans of hybrids go with the 7 wood. They find it more similar in distance to around a 4-hybrid and uber consistent in terms of performance. If you can get over the "old-man-club" stigma surrounding a 7 wood, you may want to try it. 

I am OK off the tee, for my old age, and decent around the greens. But need distance and accuracy in the 2nd/3rd shot. Recently I started carrying BOTH 5 and 7 FW again, and they are already helping me out. Best, -Marv 

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

The hybrids will be easier to hit from the rough, and in general are more versatile. I also think a traditional 5 wood maybe a little longer than a 3 hybrid. But you'll hit the 5wood further. If you imagine yourself using the club from the tee alot or most often play a course where the rough isnt very high, the the 5wood is probably better is you're looking for distance from the club. If you want control and versatility, go with the hybrid. 

6 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

I am OK off the tee, for my old age, and decent around the greens. But need distance and accuracy in the 2nd/3rd shot. Recently I started carrying BOTH 5 and 7 FW again, and they are already helping me out. Best, -Marv 

I used to own a few Orlimar tri-metals including a 7W. I kinda wisht I hadn'tn sold em.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

5w or 3h - I'm assuming you mean a wood loft vs a hybrid loft that achieves the identical distance gap you are filling.  So distance comments are meaningless.  For me, it was gapping between my 3w and my 200-210 yard club.

I prefer the hybrid for my 225-235 range club.  I used to love my 5w, the look, the feel, etc etc and I hit it well enough.  But I found the hybrid was just more versatile over a LOT more types of lies, and I can shape either just the same...the previous set it was a 2h, with the Rogues it's a 3h....

HIT THEM BOTH - and get what you like based on that.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

I carry both clubs and rotate the 3 wood in or 3 HB out pending how my swing has been.
Lately, the 5 wood has been sidelined, although I like it as much as the others.
Not that they make that much difference, I just enjoy hitting good shots with them.

If I were to play different courses, I would most likely leave the 3 wood at home.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

5w or 3h - I'm assuming you mean a wood loft vs a hybrid loft that achieves the identical distance gap you are filling.  So distance comments are meaningless. 

The 2 clubs that the original poster mentioned would be far from identical - the 5w has less loft, and will likely have a longer, lighter shaft. 

9 minutes ago, Moxley said:

The 2 clubs that the original poster mentioned would be far from identical - the 5w has less loft, and will likely have a longer, lighter shaft. 

Thanks, made me go back and look. Good point, I see that now.  So now I just think it's an odd question, then.  He should gap his distances and fit a club where he needs it.  Asking about two different distance clubs, my answer is "what distance gaps do you need".

I'd say the OP is thinking about his set composition backwards.

Typically - get a driver and 3w, and your wedge set as preferred.   Pick your irons and hit them until the long irons suck, maybe get a couple more long irons out of the set with a more forgiving model - fill the gap between the highest hittable iron and the 3w with hybrids - top gap maybe assess a 5w vs an equivalently long hybrid if you like....

YMMV (this is SOOOOO generic)

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Not sure if any of this is useful... I just started carrying my 4h the last couple of months to go along with my 5w. I tend to hit my 5w higher than a lot of other higher cappers I play with - maybe due to a swing fault. The upside is I can often hold greens with that club if the shot is online.

That said, the hybrid puts the 5w to shame on holding greens. I know the topic is about a 3h but I'd guess it's similar as far as getting a softer landing on the green.

The 5w is second in distance only to my driver. So it's nice off the tee and from the fairway (or a decent lie in the rough) when more distance is needed than what the 4h can provide. The 5w provides that extra distance from an easy swing.

As for the hybrid, I generally hit it straighter, make better contact (less duffs), and can hold greens easier.

Jon

Obviously there can be a lot of factors that play into this choice, but in general I would say the hybrid is a much more versatile club. I typically recommend a hybrid to people so they can the most out of the club (Tee shots, approach shots, good choice in some recovery situations, and even some use around the greens). I guess you could use a 5w for those things, but IMO a hybrid is typically better suited for versatility.

I'm in the same boat.  I just recently added a hybrid, and quite frankly I'm having a really tough time getting it in the air.  After a recent purchase for some brand new Wilson Staff FG Tour F5's (Driver, 3W and Hybrid) I'm thinking of shelving the 20* Hybrid for an 18* 5w.  

Strangely, my old driver was an 8* that I pounded until it gave out.  It was over 17 years old.  Great club.  But I got these new Wilsons in and the 11* setting for this Driver has me carrying much further.  The 3W I crush with confidence.  But the Hybrid, I want to just throw in the trash.

It's adjustable to 21*, so maybe I'll dial it back, add the 5W, and remove the 3i that I never take out of my bag anyway.

On 10/8/2018 at 2:59 PM, e6892345 said:

I am trying to decide...

Go the modern route...hybrid. Buy quality even if used. These guys that say they can’t hit a hybrid may be hitting junk. Lots of crap clubs out there. Can’t believe what some people carry in there bags. Things you never heard of. Clubs from the 80’s and 90’s.

Note: This thread is 2015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!