IGNORED

Thirteen Potential Ball Flights? I Thought It Was Nine?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Browsing social media, fell into a rathole as usual, and came upon this page mentioning thirteen potential ballflights. I thought it was 9. What are the four I'm not getting? I googled it a couple of ways, but got nothing. Are we talking shanks, tops and duffs here?

The Science Of Ball-Flight

Learn how to use the latest technology to help your students hit the ball further and straighter than ever before. Dave Phillips and Dr. Greg Rose discuss the mechanics of ball-flight, clearly define the 13 potential ball flights and use advanced visual graphics to explain what makes the golf ball move in various directions. Learn how to control and manipulate ball-flight with a deeper understanding ball-flight mechanics.

http://www.mytpi.com/certification/tracks/golf_level_2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

What are the four I'm not getting?

Worm burner, skying the ball with the crown, shank and whiff. At least in my armamentarium of shots. :doh:

• Like 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

1 hour ago, Missouri Swede said:

Worm burner, skying the ball with the crown, shank and whiff. At least in my armamentarium of shots. :doh:

Whiff? THAT'S NOT A BALL FLIGHT!  😁

Good use of armamentarium!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

A pull fade? A push hook? A pull slice? How about a push draw?...lol

I don't know. 9 ball flights are good enough for me. I know there are 9 bad shots, so maybe they are using four of those. 

I'm sticking with 9.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

They may be including extra flights added around the holidays.  Red-eye specials and the like.  

• Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Pull slice, pull hook, draw, fade, straight, crowned, thin, fat, push draw, push fade, hosel rocket, toe hook, heel fade, the top. There could be one more: the bank shot. Trust me, I know all of them and I know what I did to make the ball go that way. The bank shot.... that happened during a tournament when I hit an 8 iron approach shot into a large oak tree next to the 9th green and it ricocheted onto the dance floor... two putts for par... I planned it that way. 😁

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On 10/13/2018 at 9:16 AM, nevets88 said:

Browsing social media, fell into a rathole as usual, and came upon this page mentioning thirteen potential ballflights. I thought it was 9. What are the four I'm not getting? I googled it a couple of ways, but got nothing. Are we talking shanks, tops and duffs here?

http://www.mytpi.com/certification/tracks/golf_level_2

There are a number of quantum ball flights. :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

@nevets88, when you wrote to them to ask what the 13 ball flights are, what did they say?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, Piz said:

They may be including extra flights added around the holidays.  Red-eye specials and the like.  

Okay, that made me laugh. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

@nevets88, when you wrote to them to ask what the 13 ball flights are, what did they say?

I was about to shoot off an e-mail or something, but got sidetracked. 

Steve

Interesting.  If you watch their little intro video, there's a part where they say (paraphrasing):

"What made the golf ball start in that direction, what made the golf ball curve in that direction, and what made the golf ball go that far."

Here's the graphic for that last one:

image.png

So, I'm guessing there's some element of launch angle leading to the 13, but it's still a weird number.

- John

I thought about this awhile back, wrote it down, forgot to put it here, found my notes, these could be the four?

high on face - higher ball flight, less distance (lots)

low on face - lower ball flight - less distance (not as much as high on face)

towards toe - draw, less distance (lots)

towards heel - fade, less distance (not as much as toe)

But if thinking like that, there's 5.

heel - **#^@%! &$*#$! ($#(*$#!

Steve

maybe they just combined uplofting and delofting (controllability) to the (shapability) list in a couple ways...

but if that were the case, then I'd say there would be 27 shapes.....9 shapes x 3 loft intents (up, low, neutral)

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

high on face - higher ball flight, less distance (lots)

I remember reading an article that talked about the 'feeling of a mis-hit but finding your ball went much further than usual.' This article stated that actually hitting the ball with a driver just above the sweet spot would yield more distance. Was this just another bs blab article?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I remember reading an article that talked about the 'feeling of a mis-hit but finding your ball went much further than usual.' This article stated that actually hitting the ball with a driver just above the sweet spot would yield more distance. Was this just another bs blab article?

It's true. High toe is often best. Low spin, high launch, toe going a little faster than the heel or the center of the face.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

39 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

The only difference in hitting towards the toe for me is the feel.  Center contact feels more solid, but there's no distance loss.  I've heard of that spot just above the center as the "hot spot" and I get just as much if not more distance when I hit the ball there.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Note: This thread is 2013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!