IGNORED

Overrated/Underrated (Golf) Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 1361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
9 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Huh? Call a rule official. You cant start a new one, while reacting to the current one. Needs to be 12 hours in between. 

He's right. 12 hours @mvmac! 🙂

12 hours without a new initial reaction (replies and follow-up conversations don't count).

Your initial reaction reset the clock to 0. 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/11/2018 at 11:07 AM, iacas said:

Overrated/Underrated #4:  Winning a Major

I will say slightly underrated since it can be a life changer for the relatively unknown professional golfer (even if fleeting) and can certainly help define a regular winner's legacy.  Many of the best golfers plan their schedules around the majors and the pressure to win is greatest during these 4 tournaments.  I have been to 2 PGA Championships and 1 Masters and most golfers I watched looked like they had the weight of the world on their shoulders, especially if they were in contention.  The atmosphere and intensity is more like the Stanley Cup Finals, Super Bowl, or game 7 of the World Series.  The most underrated tournament of all is the PGA Championship which has the strongest field of the four majors but not the same prestige.  Winning any PGA Tour event is a great accomplishment, but winning a major is part of golf history.  

Okay, time for a new one:

Overrated/Underrated #5: Custom Club Fitting

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I wanted to say over-rated, and if we're just talking about irons, I think that's the way I would go.

But with the driver, if you can add 20 yards, I think it's under-rated. With the putter, if you can do an Edel fitting or something close (is there anything close?), under-rated. Wedges… slightly under-rated.

And since it's underrated/overrated, as I have always said, I think it's important and central to try to suss out how it's generally perceived. I think that generally speaking virtually no golfers get fit, so it's tough to say it's over-rated. Yes, a lot of people will TELL you to get fit, and the marketing behind getting fit is out there… but how many people actually do it? I don't think very many.

So I settled on under-rated.

P.S. With just irons… still over-rated, slightly. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

As already noted - I have a hard time trying to figure out just what the general consensus on fitting are.  But I'll take a stab.

The typical retail golf shop fitting is crazy OVER rated.

A really good quality fitting - UNDER rated.

I personally seriously underrated a good fitting.  I've had 'sales' fittings - worthless.  But I recently had my first 'good' fitting for Driver, 3w, hybrids and the improvement is SIGNIFICANT - a little distance was found, but shaft selection changed the comfort level of my regular swing and my contact is better than I've ever had.  I can't speak to irons, wedges, putters, though i'd think a good putter fitting would be a good idea.  I'll try it regardless for the others next time since my wood/hybrid results were so good.

Edited by rehmwa
  • Like 1

Bill - 

32 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I think club fitting is generally overrated. Thinking about it more, I think I should have been more clear about what I meant here, but that's okay because people can interpret it as they want. My view is that there are a lot of people out there who are custom fitting evangelists who claim you'll see a multiple stroke improvement by doing a custom bag fitting.

I think a static club fitting with lengths is essential. Beyond that, I think most golfers don't benefit that much from a club fitting. I just got fitted for new irons, and I don't really see much of a difference. I even had my lie angle adjusted from 3 degrees upright to 1 degree upright and my ball flight is virtually the same. Most golfers, in my view, aren't going to benefit that much from a different shaft or different clubs or whatever.

That said, once you're getting to be a really good golfer and small margins matter a lot more, I understand why club fitting is important. In addition, I can see how a putter fitting would be underrated. If you're having trouble aiming the putter, a putter fitting is probably essential. Similar with a wedge fitting, although I think if you get the right bounce, it doesn't matter a ton beyond that.

Bottom line, though, I think a large proportion of golfers could take clubs off the rack and barely miss a beat.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

43 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Generally, underrated.

Parsing it out

Driver - Underrated
Irons - Push
Wedges - Slightly Underrated
Putters - Underrated

A lot of places will waive the fee for the fitting if you buy the clubs, or at least discount the fitting fee. So, not really a bit expense to get fitted. There is a lot of good information you can get from fittings. What if you never knew you hit down on the driver 5 degrees?

Yea, underrated.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

A driver fitting is pretty important, it can make a big difference for some players. I have been fitted for my irons and I am not sure it made any difference at all. I think at a high level getting everything fitted and dialed in can make a big difference, the average 20 handicap isn't going to hit it solid enough to benefit much.  Overrated.

Edited by iacas
You didn't follow the rules.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I think if I would break it down, I would do:

Driver: Overrated for anything beyond finding the right head for optimal spin

Irons: Overrated

Wedges: Overrated

Putter: Underrated

Edited by iacas
You didn't follow the rules.

-- Daniel

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

Driver - Slightly underrated. I think not enough golfers are getting this done when it can make a difference. However, some get so warped on shafts and head designs, they think that's all there is to improving their game, but I think this is more of a minority. 

Irons - Overrated. Not sure how much difference it actually makes. I go with 2 up and 1/2 degree longer because that's what feels comfortable. 🙂 

Wedges - Same as irons.

Putter - To be honest - I don't really know the ''ins and outs'' of what's involved in a putter fitting, as I have always just picked a putter on feel and because it's the strongest part of my game, I have never felt the need to go further than that. But going from the opinions on here - my attitude certainly suggests its underrated and I may need to look into it. 

I would say underrated for the most part. Most golfers just go for the rack and stay there. You learn a lot about your swing in a fitting in addition to shafts that will help you perform better.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I am going with overrated. I think as someone gets better (say like better than 15 handicap) then it may become underrated, but for the vast majority of the golfing population I would say it is overrated as golfers just aren't making solid enough contact. The cost doesn't provide enough value for them I think. 

4 hours ago, DeadMan said:

The actual fitting process for my irons was probably overrated. But the selection process I went through to pick my irons before the fitting - I probably tried +15 irons and many of them twice - was very valuable to me.

Putter fittings are underrated - more people should do them.

Edited by iacas
Even after a PM about this, didn't follow the rules. :(

4 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I've only ever had my irons fit (whoops!) so I'm only qualified to answer there.  I'd say under rated.  I'm a big guy, and I ended up with +1.5" and 2˚ upright, and it made swinging SO much more comfortable. Also added ~0.5 clubs in length, though I was switching from some fairly old irons, so who knows.

I've been considering splurging and getting and Edel putter fitting.  Though I've made a few changes in my grip and setup with my current putter and have been putting a good bit better recently.  So now I'm wondering whether I can really justify the expense....

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

5 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Driver: Slightly overrated based on my experience. Other than correct flex, most new driver heads are adjustable for loft (and lie for some). 

Irons: Underrated.

I think a good idea to get fitted for flight and feel. Distance should be secondary. For eg. I know of too many players that buy SGIs off the rack that balloon too much. Impact feel makes a huge difference in how you play for the next 4-5 years.     

Wedges: Also underrated for bounce selection. Most folks do not buy enough bounce. 

Putter: Underrated. 

Vishal S.

I just went thru a complete bag fitting at Club Champion.    I've only hit my new clubs indoors because of the weather.    

Driver / Woods:   Compared to my previous driver, 3 wood and 5 wood, I don't see much improvement but I was fitted for my driver previously.

Irons:  A big improvement.   The trackman data was showing a very significant improvement in not only distance but a dispersion pattern that was much tighter.    

Hybrids:  The difference was in the distance gaps.    I can't say there was a significant improvement from the fitting.

Wedges:   My wedges were worn and the new spin rate was a significant improvement but I can't say the fitting itself would have made a difference over just purchasing new wedges.

I decided to keep my current putter

Was the fitting overrated?   In my opinion, for most people, yes.

On 12/14/2018 at 10:23 AM, DeadMan said:

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 12/14/2018 at 10:23 AM, DeadMan said:

The breakdown from my experience and opinion:

Driver:  Not talked about or sold to golfers enough so underrated.  It made a huge difference for me.  I would never buy an off the rack driver again.  It isn't till recently that my local golf stores even carried shafts for swing speeds over 105 mph.  Probably because golfers didn't appreciate the value of a custom shaft.

Irons:  I will say underrated only because I don't see a lot of golfers getting fitted.  I do feel it is less important than the driver.  If I am on vacation without my clubs and decide to play and rent, I can usually make whatever irons they give me work no problem without much swing adjustment, but the driver is usually way off.

Wedges.  I will say overrated.  I can adjust to new/different wedges quite easily.  One of the best clubs I ever had was an off the rack Cleveland 54deg.  I hit that thing so straight and could spin it like crazy.  My TM tour preferred are fitted and they are good but not better than that Cleveland, it just felt so right.

Putter:  Huge.  When my putting goes bad the first thing I do is start considering a new putter.  But when I try new ones and compare to my current, the current always outperforms during trials.

Edited by Keep It Simple
Forgot to add putter

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

Overrated/Underrated #6: Hitting a variety of full swing shots (shape, trajectory, spin, etc.)

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 1361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!