IGNORED

2019 Fitness Goals

Bo the Golfer
Note: This thread is 1830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What are you fitness goals for the new year? For myself I would like to:

1) Drop 40 to 50 pounds. I'm currently 275 and would love to get to 225. 

2) Increase flexibility. Really need to do this to help my golf swing goals. 

3) Increase core strength. 

4) Work out 4 to 5 times weekly. 

• Like 1

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

I would like to (very much like yours):

1) Lose about 20-25lbs

2) Stretch more and gain more flexibility

3) Just overall become more healthy. I have a 3 year old little girl now and I would like to be around for her as long as possible.

• Like 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My goal is always the same, to remain under 200lbs.  Drink enough beer to satisfy but make sure it's not so much that I get a belly bump.
Another goal is to make sure I walk as often as I can when I play.  My course is cart mandatory, so I can only do this when I play elsewhere.
I'd also like to try and start running again.

• Like 2

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

3 minutes ago, phillyk said:

My goal is always the same, to remain under 200lbs.  Drink enough beer to satisfy but make sure it's not so much that I get a belly bump.
Another goal is to make sure I walk as often as I can when I play.  My course is cart mandatory, so I can only do this when I play elsewhere.
I'd also like to try and start running again.

We do a good bit of running in crossfit, but I have toyed with the idea of doing the couch to 5k program again, just to get myself into better 5k shape

• Like 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Initially, I was going to get back in track shape for the  submasters Track season but e have another kid on the way so I’ll be limited with track time. My goal is three days a week minimum with a focus on base strength endurance while also some fast twitch power training for speed. 

• Like 1

I'm determined to work on my flexibility.   You'd think with my SO as a yoga instructor it would be easy for me but no....

• Like 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I don’t want to put too much pressure on myself with a lofty goal here, but I am approaching 2019 as the year I have to take better care of myself. To start, I’m going to eat less calories... and the calories I do eat will be of the healthy variety. Second, I want to incorporate two thirty minute weight sessions a week. I know that’s not much, but I am the weakest I’ve ever been in my adult life. 

Hopefully I have good progress to report in a month!... because life is just better when you’re fit. You feel better, the mind is less cluttered, you look better, you move better... and you can play more golf. The only sacrifices you need to make is giving up the short term satisfaction of eating unhealthy foods and/or giving up a few hours per week to fit in work outs. In my case, I’m so brittle I’m nervous about injuring myself, but maybe if I take it slow and steady, I’ll be able to build up something gradually and get out of his physical situation I’m in. 

Good luck, guys! I’m sticking to health food choices today 👍🎊🙏🤞

• Like 1

Constantine

Get sub 200 lbs. It should be highly doable.

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2019 goals/plans:

last year I was bringing a bicycle to work and doing a 12 mile loop during my lunch hour so I plan to keep doing that this year once the roads and trails are ice&salt free.

I also take walks around the business park, 1 to 3 miles at a brisk for me pace.

Goal is to drop 10-40 pounds. Along with this is to work on getting rid of my midrift spare tire. Pushups, planks, stretching, weights, getting back on track with healthier food choices and so forth. Work in progress adjusted and modified aling the way as I figure out what works for me.

Edited by treebound
  • Upvote 1

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I am about to purchase a compact recumbent dual exercise bike (the kind that also has an upper arm-shoulder workout with rotating handles).

At 73 and arthritic in hands, shoulders, hips and knees, I MUST exercise and build strength and flexibility. I already do resistance band rows 3 x day. I have found the increased hand-arm-shoulder strength and flexibility really help my golf.

But legs and hips get little exercise. I tried resistance bands there, but it caused pain. I really liked the super duper recumbent dual exerciser when I had physical therapy. I have found a home version that won't break the bank. We'll see how it goes. Could lose a little weight but it's acceptable. Good luck with all your goals, -Marv

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:40 PM, dennyjones said:

I'm determined to work on my flexibility.   You'd think with my SO as a yoga instructor it would be easy for me but no....

Starting yoga again tomorrow. I was into hatha yoga years ago but with work travel I stopped going. Now that I am retired I'm going to get back into it, I know it will help.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any fitness goals I have are specific to just looking and feeling better as I age. I'm 5' 10" and typically weigh in around 185lbs relatively lean(ish). Somehow I stopped going to the gym for almost 2yrs now and with eating less I dropped 15lbs of muscle. Currently I'm back in the gym and on a strict diet. 210grams protei no, 280grams carbs and 95grams fat. This is JUST a starting goal. I will adjust once I actually consistently get these nutrients in each day and will adjust my diet as needed after

so far I have not added muscle back like I was expecting but instead staying in the low 170's but looking lean. Who knows? Maybe I'll just keep pushing my strength and if I only get to just short of 180lbs I might be fine with that

golf specific fitness goals would be too get my club head speed to close to 120mph, increSe hip and shoulder flexibility 

• Like 1

improve balance, flexibility, strength, and cardio.

• Like 1

my swing thread

3-wood: 13* TEE CB4, mitsubishi 'ahina 80g x; 2-iron: 16* mizuno hi-fli, c-taper 130g; 3-pw: mizuno mp-5, c-taper 130g; 50/55/60: mizuno t7, c-taper 130g; putter: SC bullseye platinum flange (2001)

This is tough for me. I’m big into weightlifting and hate to skip a day. Honestly need to back off the weights as it seems I am over working myself with golf and lifting. I’m also getting married in October and want to cut some weight prior. Right now I’m around 235 and 215-220 would be a much better weight for me. Would prob do wonders for my flexibility and golf swing without hindering my distance too much!

• Like 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

I've gotten back into strength training this year. I forgot how much I enjoyed it in the past. I'm currently doing the AX-1 program from athleanx.com and I'm going to move onto another program when I'm finished, either AX-2 or Max Size.

No real specific goals but I'd like to add 10-15lbs of lean muscle and cut about 2-4% body fat by the end of the year.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 2/22/2019 at 5:18 PM, cooke119 said:

Starting yoga again tomorrow. I was into hatha yoga years ago but with work travel I stopped going. Now that I am retired I'm going to get back into it, I know it will help.

I'm almost two months into yoga training, go three times a week and I must say it has increased my flexibility and core strength. I feel much more comfortable driving the ball and know I'm hitting it straighter and longer, I'm out driving most of the guys I play with, (not saying much given we are all in our 60s and 70s, but still). I will tell you that for the first month my upper back really felt the stretching, at times uncomfortable, but my instructor told me to back off a little until I got use to it which I did, now the back feels good. Now if I could only do something about my hamstrings, LOL.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!