IGNORED

My Flagstick In vs. Out Data

iacas

47 minutes ago, chop said:

I like it in and out but mostly out. It depends on the putt and if the pin is leaning and my confidence level on any given putt.  I've missed putts with the pin that I thought would have gone in and didn't and vice versa. 
When playing with average golfers I will say take it out on a hole and the other guys never say put it back in after I putt.  I like it out mostly. It's a better visual for me with no distractions like shadows or leaning pins. The hole just looks more receptive without a pin in. So, I ignore the data although I appreciate it. 

They should have never made that rule.  Too much confusion on the green... too many questions have to be asked, have to be answered.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

They should have never made that rule.  Too much confusion on the green... too many questions have to be asked, have to be answered.

I totally disagree. I'm actually really happy this discussion is still a discussion. 

Every day I hear people arguing about masks (that's still a discussion) along with vaccines. Or arguing about the economy (that will always be a discussion) about taxes (again, a discussion that won't go away) about racisms or now even gender identification. I'm not saying these things aren't important. But they feel like problems which there's little to nothing I can do about it. Plus the debates have real impact on people's lives. If I get involved in the discussions I risk offending people or alienating them, or worst of all sending them on a triad. 

The flag in or flag out discussion on the other hand, has almost no impact on people's lives. Plus we all have some power. We can pull the flag for you. Or put it back in for you. Plus it's a debate that doesn't matter. Even the most stanch supporter on either side knows that it only affects a very small number of putts. It's a wonderful debate. So refreshing in its insignificance. 👍😁👍

BTW - I just leave the flag in all the time. I'm pretty certain it hasn't had even the tiniest effect on my putting stats. If somebody else wanted it out. I just leave it out. Again, I'm pretty sure it has absolutely no effect on my putting stats. 

If my feet were held to the fire I think I'd have to say that leaving the flag in would in the very long run help. I also believe the Earth is relatively spherical and that we did in fact land men on the moon. But what do I know? 

Edited by ChetlovesMer
  • Like 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

The biggest impact leaving the stick in has had for me is it just speeds up my already fast solo rounds :-)

I have long since given up telling people that leaving the flag in is better than taking it out because you can't argue with the "one time I hit a perfect putt/chip and it would have gone in if the flag was out" person.

• Thumbs Up 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

After my six year hiatus, I have to say that one of the nicest things about playing again is getting to take advantage of the new flagstick rule. Such an easy way for me to gain a bit of separation from the average amateur by leaving it in. It definitely helps me with depth perception and judging distance. I feel like I miss smaller now.

Constantine

I think some here are underestimating how often the stick helps them. It helps me on almost every putt

• Like 1

Colin P.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 12:18 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

I think I agree with that. I feel like I can't really get a good read when the pin is in.

Recently I saw @mcanadiensgive a clinic on why leaving the pin in is such a beneficial thing. I think he banged 3 or more putts into the pin and they dropped in that otherwise may have jumped the hole. Was a solid reminder to me why I always leave it in myself.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, chop said:

I think I agree with that. I feel like I can't really get a good read when the pin is in.

Why?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instructor Development, 5 Simple Keys®/Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins • Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 • "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 • Penn-State Behrend Head Coach • • • • • • • • • • :aimpoint: :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | 5SK.com | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Recently I saw @mcanadiensgive a clinic on why leaving the pin in is such a beneficial thing. I think he banged 3 or more putts into the pin and they dropped in that otherwise may have jumped the hole. Was a solid reminder to me why I always leave it in myself.

Gotta have those nice dead flagsticks. They just absorb all that ball's love and let it go home.