IGNORED

2016 Hyundai Tournament of Champions Discussion Thread

Club Rat
Note: This thread is 3024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Love the later evening coverage of the Hawaii events. Looks like the top players start out in the afternoon. Interesting and fun pairing, also like groups of only two. Makes for better coverage. 

Note: all tee times are local, which is 5 hours behind eastern standard time.

• • •

10:20 a.m.: Smylie Kaufman, Peter Malnati

10:30 a.m.: Graeme McDowell, Emiliano Grillo

10:40 a.m.: J.J. Henry, Padraig Harrington

10:50 a.m.: Davis Love III, Matt Every

11:00 a.m.: Fabian Gomez, Alex Cejka

11:10 a.m.: James Hahn, Troy Merritt

11:20 a.m.: David Lingmerth, Chris Kirk

11:30 a.m.: Justin Thomas, Russell Knox

11:40 a.m.: Brooks Koepka, Bill Haas

11:50 a.m.: Scott Piercy, Brandt Snedeker

12:00 p.m.: Steven Bowditch, Kevin Kisner

12:10 p.m.: J.B. Holmes, Jimmy Walker

12:20 p.m.: Dustin Johnson, Danny Lee

12:30 p.m.: Bubba Watson, Zach Johnson

12:40 p.m.: Jason Day, Rickie Fowler

12:50 p.m.: Jordan Spieth, Patrick Reed

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i didnt think i would be looking forward to this, but i guess i am.  its good to see the golf back on TV even if its silly season stuff. means that spring isnt idiotically but only woefully far away.

Colin P.

So the season officially starts in beautiful Hawaii while at least the other half of the nation stays cozy inside. Day and Spieth resume their jockeying for the number one ranking. Watson, Johnson and Fowler are in the field. You can practically hear the luaus and slide guitars before you turn on the telly.

Despite Layoff, Jason Day Sees Chance to Return to No. 1

This is the strongest field at Kapalua in 10 years, with Spieth and Day at Nos. 1 and 2 in the world, along with Rickie Fowler, Dustin Johnson, Bubba Watson, the British Open champion Zach Johnson and the defending champion at Kapalua, Patrick Reed, among the 32-man field of PGA Tour winners from the previous year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/07/sports/golf/jason-day-jordan-spieth-no-1-ranking-kapalua-hyundai.html?ref=golf

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2016/1/7/10728092/2016-kapalua-tournament-of-champions-tee-times-thursday

http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/2016-hyundai-tournament-champions-five-players-watch

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

25 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

So the season officially starts in beautiful Hawaii while at least the other half of the nation stays cozy inside.

I gather that I'm not the only one who doesn't quite buy into the wrap-around season idea. I understand that they need to put the late autumn statistics and earnings somewhere (and maybe the next year is the best place), but somehow it feels like the season is starting now.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

45 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I gather that I'm not the only one who doesn't quite buy into the wrap-around season idea. I understand that they need to put the late autumn statistics and earnings somewhere (and maybe the next year is the best place), but somehow it feels like the season is starting now.

I like the wraparound season - because it simply means that the tournaments in October and November count for something, and thus have better fields - but this also still feels like the beginning of the season to me.  But that's pretty obviously because it comes after a big layoff.  It reminds me of high school and how Christmas break did not coincide with the semester changeover.  But even worse than golf, where the switch is before, we had finals in January so that meant the most important stuff came right after the big break. :)

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

This is the strongest field at Kapalua in 10 years

Would have loved to see Rory in this event.

Other news: FOR STARTERS: Smylie Kaufman gets the honor of hitting the first shot of 2016.

That ought to put a "Smile on any body's face it definitely would put one on mine" !!!    :-)

I'm glad there is NBC coverage on Saturday... I'm a cord-cutter so that is the only coverage I'll be recording and then watching sometime later in the week.  I'll be in Palm Springs from Saturday to Wednesday playing golf. :-D

15 minutes ago, colin007 said:

WTF is Rick wearing around his ankles?? Are they part of his shoes or pants?

Whatever they are, they are fuggly.

How about the slacks Bubbas wearing? ugly or what!

52 minutes ago, colin007 said:

WTF is Rick wearing around his ankles?? Are they part of his shoes or pants?

He's been tweeting about them all week; he asked Puma to design him some high-tops.  Not sure there's any functional purpose, all about the look.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

59 minutes ago, Gunther said:

he asked Puma to design him some high-tops

Ricky just wants to be cool like his buddy Keegan in his high top Air Jordan's...P1010016.thumb.JPG.8f8462d081fd8102a5b46

Golf is hard

Steve

Not a good look Rickie. I wear both high tops and jogging pants but not together it looks weird. I tried to watch a bit but this is always a boring tournament.

Dave :-)

7 minutes ago, Dave2512 said:

Not a good look Rickie. I wear both high tops and jogging pants but not together it looks weird. I tried to watch a bit but this is always a boring tournament.

Yeah, the high tops are odd but that isn't the problem ... it's the baseball pants that he's wearing to highlight the shoes that are the real problem there.  Yikes!

Note: This thread is 3024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!