IGNORED

Worst Weather You've Played Golf In?

cartertheraptor
Note: This thread is 1804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Below freezing, with freezing side ways rain due to the wind. It was a really, brutal cold round of golf. 

It was an extended family get together, reunion type thing. Some folks drove as far a 300 miles to freeze their butts off. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yesterday, winds were at least 20mph and that was challenging. The worst weather I've played in had very high winds (probably 20-30 mph) and it started to rain. I actually had a really good time on that course, because I was playing the only course that I know of in the Metro Detroit area which is a Scottish style, heathland course. It felt like playing oversees that day, and the experience has made Blackheath my favorite course in the area. 

I'm the exception to everyone that posts in this thread.    I'm a fair weather golfer.   Being retired gives me the luxury of saying  "not today, maybe tomorrow".

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

For me has to be when it rains and I am playing in my home course in Coorg.  Part of the land was a paddy field so tends to get water logged.  Not fun walking through damp areas and hitting from a wet fairway.  The heat and humidity don't worry me so much, other than needing to drink enough water to stay hydrated.  I can play in 40*C with 90% humidity, no problem.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator

I played Turnberry on a day when I had a chip shot second on the first with a hybrid and other holes I had to crush three 3I to get 400 yards. Every other course in the area was closed due to high winds. In Scotland!

I played a high school event in a hail storm.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've played while it has been 27° snowing & blowing, in 107° dry heat in Vegas, and 102° Houston humidity and for the life of me as I look back on it I can't tell you why I played on those days. They were miserable.

Most recently I played in the Sand Hills must be 6-8 years ago in the late fall - first two days we were there it was low 30's and rain. But tee times had been made, and green fees prepaid, the courses were not closed so we played. Somehow that is more of an experience than the ones from my youth that stand out, and that 2nd day was the first time I played Mid-Pines and I fell in love with that course (then again I don't play well enough to best understand the architecture).
I would love to get to Ireland or Scotland and play some of the destination courses on weather days, maybe have a little drink to warm up/dry off afterwards.

Players play, tough players win!

Coldest weather was a High School match in Maine.  It was about 30 degrees and sleeting.  Not sure I've ever been so cold playing golf, I think I was purple when I got done.  Heat wise was 2 years ago in Scottsdale, 110.  I'll take that over the cold any day to play golf.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

3 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Coldest weather was a High School match in Maine.  It was about 30 degrees and sleeting.  Not sure I've ever been so cold playing golf

Maybe if you wore long pants instead of shorts it wouldn't have been so bad. ;-)

• Like 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

17 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

Maybe if you wore long pants instead of shorts it wouldn't have been so bad. ;-)

True!  :beer:

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

5 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

At a nice country course near Abilene, Texas...Over a period of about 3 hours, we had rain and wind, then hail, then absolutely beautiful sunny blue skies. Strange. Best, -Marv

I remember those odd weather moments out there. I went to high school in Midland, TX.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I'm the exception to everyone that posts in this thread.    I'm a fair weather golfer.   Being retired gives me the luxury of saying  "not today, maybe tomorrow".

It could be argued that folks who are on a golf course in ectremely bad weather are not really playing golf. Nothing wrong with being a fair weather golfer. Smart move on your part. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I won't count the few times where the wind was gusting to 35-40 mph with the ball oscillating or downright moving on the greens, because those times were in Hawaii and it was still an enjoyable time, pretty poor golf sure, but still fun.

What I would qualify my worst was in a tournament (with my associate club i.e. a club without a golf course, roaming around the area). It started sprinkling a bit when we were on #6. By the time we reached #12, the greens were unplayable, with pools of water everywhere. The tournament was called off and truncated to the first 9 holes, which wasn't even fair, but whatever... I put on my rain gear on #8, I think and by the time we got back to the club house, not a single fiber of clothing under that "rain gear" was dry anymore, lol.  Good times!

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

23 hours ago, FLOG4 said:

I have been blessed to travel overseas to play golf many times. When you are 3000 miles from home on the basis to play golf....You play golf. The worst weather I have played in....You may read this and think...He's full of S...But this was true. We arrived at Dooks. A hurricane had crossed the Atlantic and the remnants were on us. As we prepared to go to the 1st tee. I took my headcovers and half my irons out of bag and left them in the van. There was a hedgerow next to first tee. The way the wind was blowing we hid behind it. We then made our way out as it was our turn. The rain was pelting. The wind was unmeasurable...40/50 continuous...But what was mind numbing was a group of 4 teed off right in front of us. One of our 4, sat in the van. On the 3rd hole as we were waiting on these yellow rainjacketed dwebs in front of us...I said S it and hit into them. I pranced up and told the guy...we are playing thru. Waived the 2 others up and we went thru. These guys were everywhere...We got thru and 2 holes later we come to a par 3...Where is the hole. I align the tee markers...The card says 170...I say it should be right there and hit my shot. We arrive at the green and the flag is laying on the green. We played 15 holes in that rain wind. The rain stopped but the wind didn't. By the time we walked off 18 we were dry from 3 holes in 40/50 wind...

I may have been there the same week.  My first trip to Ireland was in 2004, and two hurricanes had just come up the East Coast of the US.  Of course the storm systems follow the Gulf Stream across the north Atlantic, and were battering the west coast of Ireland.  We played all week in wind and rain.  Rain wasn't every minute, we did see the sun once or twice, but we had wind every day.  When it DID rain, it was coming sideways.  When we played at Dooks, we were told that the wind gusts were clocked up to 60 mph up the coast at Ballybunion.  If we hadn't prepaid for all our golf, I'm sure we'd have passed on playing a few of the days.  As it was, we survived, and had great stories to tell when we got home.  

• Like 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

18 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I went to high school in Midland, TX.

And I in Odessa. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Heavy rain with lightnings. Young stupid player, not aware of the danger it represented. Made par on the 9th hole in front of a big gallery of players waiting for the storm to go away. I trayed to walk to the 10th tee but they didn´t let me.

Now when i heard a thunder or see a lightning i get the hell out of there.

• Like 1

First time out for the year a few years back, the weather was calling for 20-30% chance of rain for maybe only the first hour of our round.  No big deal at all, if it rains, at least it'll clear up after a few holes.  Started sprinkling as soon as we hit the practice green.  A few holes in it starts raining heavier, and gets heavier, and heavier as the day progresses.  By the time we get to 18 it's basically a full on monsoon.  My friend steps up to the 18th tee with driver in hand, loses grip on his club during his follow through, and tosses his driver 20 yards down the fairway and 20 yards into the air into a tree.  Luckily it bounced around enough to not get stuck in the tree.  Not sure I've laughed that hard before or since.  Nobody watched the ball, but somehow he ended up with the best drive of the group, right down the center of the fairway.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

I grew up and still live in FL.  

Most extreme weather here is the heat.  I'm sure I've played in a few thunderstorms with silly wind and whatnot, but if so I didn't for long.  Those come with lightning and just about always end the round. Plus there's too many good days to play to suffer thru that.  

I enjoy very windy days though.  Adds a lot to the game, but it tends to fit better with old-country style courses and not so much with these target golf courses we have over here. 

Note: This thread is 1804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!