IGNORED

What Kind of Golfer Are You?

Osnola
Note: This thread is 1758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Me, I am a grinder and plodder.  I do not shoot really low scores and am thrilled when I break 90. Age wise, I am 70, but overall in pretty good shape.

By a grinder, I mean that I do not always hit the fairway off the tee, and I have to kind of grind and plug away to work the ball onto the green.

By a plodder, I mean that I know what i need to do and I just push on through a bad shot and keep moving forward.  Forget what happened and work to make the next one a good one...

I am a friendly golfer, will play with anyone.  I do not have temper tantrums, do not throw clubs, and don't cuss a shot that I made.  I realize it is the Indian, not the arrow....

I am not afraid to hit any club in my bag and have learned that sometimes going sideways is better than trying to go over every tree between me and the green.

• Like 3

I'm a 2 in 1 golfer. I have a serious side, and not so serious side to my golf game. My serious side is for my daily practices. My not so serious side is when I am out playing for a score. Playing relaxed, fun golf is my thing. 

I am a shorter, but reasonably accurate ball striker, with a better than average short game. I will sometimes try to pull off that miricle shot. Sometimes I get it right, but most of the time, I should have used more common sense. 

I will play with anyone, but once known, I do tend to stay away from the arrogant, pompous golf personalities I sometimes encounter.@. 

I owe the game of golf alot. It got me through a lengthy rehab.  It owes me nothing. If anything, the game is a tough adversary, that is just there for my enjoyment. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bi-polar Golfer .. hard worker with a powerful swing 280+yard av drive etc .. got all shots in my bag to shoot under PAR but haven't yet been able to put it all together in a game to beat my +5

Constantly have to work on the basics to keep the swing in check

Am a Firebrand so keeping the temper under control can be an issue at times. but I'm not an idiot about it ...

Enjoy playing with pretty much anyone that loves the game I'm a passionate Golfer that really believes its the greatest game ever created by mankind

Go Foxy Go

Hmm, I feel like this needs to have a poll. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• iacas changed the title to What Kind of Golfer Are You?

I can't say I'm obsessed with golf...close...missed it by "  " that much!    I play for the enjoyment.   I enjoy being outdoors, being with friends and really enjoy golf when I hit a good shot.   I'm not serious enough to play in tournaments but will watch golf almost any time it's on TV unless I'm active in an other activity.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

14 hours ago, Osnola said:

Me, I am a grinder and plodder.  I do not shoot really low scores and am thrilled when I break 90. Age wise, I am 70, but overall in pretty good shape.

By a grinder, I mean that I do not always hit the fairway off the tee, and I have to kind of grind and plug away to work the ball onto the green.

By a plodder, I mean that I know what i need to do and I just push on through a bad shot and keep moving forward.  Forget what happened and work to make the next one a good one...

I am a friendly golfer, will play with anyone.  I do not have temper tantrums, do not throw clubs, and don't cuss a shot that I made.  I realize it is the Indian, not the arrow....

I am not afraid to hit any club in my bag and have learned that sometimes going sideways is better than trying to go over every tree between me and the green.

You sound very familiar though I'm still working to break 90 and you have a couple years on me. I have also played down an adjacent fairway to avoid trying to hit between the trees. You don't say (and of course you don't have to) but I'm curious - do you play from the forward tees?

I'm a recreational golfer. Due to injuries I can't practice a lot. I play when I can and hit a few **** shots on the course that will ruin the round. I'll par a few holes. I'll get a couple of birdies. I'll never break 80 and that's fine. I've learned to take what my game gives me. I've learned that if I hit the ball into too much trouble it sometimes isn't worth trying to get out - take S&D and hit another ball. Sometimes it ends up fewer strokes.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

A golf addict but unfortunately not able to play as much as I want.  I tend to get very upset with myself when I hit a bad shot.  Will play with anybody though I don't enjoy playing with grouchy people.  Love to talk to my playing partners when walking.

As a golfer am pretty decent when playing regularly.  Can par any hole, though putting is the weakest part of my game.  Am not really one of those grinders/plodders under normal circumstances.  In regular play am more than willing to try the hero option.  In tournaments, I tend to play a little more conservatively.  Have won a couple when I was playing regularly.  Now once a week at best means my tournament game is not up to scratch

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Not as good as I want to be (need to hit more greens), but good enough I don’t embarrass myself amongst friends.  I don’t practice enough to be better, but don’t have the time in this season of life...maybe one day

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

7 hours ago, Zippo said:

You sound very familiar though I'm still working to break 90 and you have a couple years on me. I have also played down an adjacent fairway to avoid trying to hit between the trees. You don't say (and of course you don't have to) but I'm curious - do you play from the forward tees?

Good question.  I do play from the forward tees.  I started doing that when I turned 70 last February.  I like to play tees from about 5700 yards to 6100 yards.  Anything longer than than and i really struggle.  I just do not have the distance I used to have.  Drive is about 210 and 7i is 150 to give you and idea of my distance....

I’m a cluster f***. I have no sense of feel or at least no sense of feel for anything beneficial to a golf swing. Many rounds have turned  into a self reflecting inner conversation of ‘why do I do this.’ 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Loner golfer. I prefer playing by myself and at my own pace. I like empty driving ranges and quiet golf courses. Hate being rushed by players behind me. Hate playing competitively against others. I've played a ton of sports in my life - AFL, cricket, baseball, tennis. I took up golf to play sport in a non competitive way. I just want to relax, learn and have fun.

Edited by Hugh Jars

I played some golf when I was young. Then, played little for 30 years while working and raising a family. Now that I have retired, I have joined a country club and play regularly. I am having a lot of fun. Love being outside again - spent too many years in an office. Love the fun of playing with friends. Being with friends is the highlight of golf. For me, sports can  be all consuming, while I am on the course, and low stress at the same time. I like playing with friends more than tournaments, but also enjoy working on and tinkering with my game. Gotten back to where I can shoot in the 80s fairly often. Shot 86 yesterday and probably left several strokes on the course. Having fun and loving life. 

I'm a temperamental hack that, starting 7 years ago at age 35, has been trying to play golf as cheaply as possible. Now I find myself in quite a rut.

Each of the past three years have started in brutal fashion. I slug it out and approach bogey golf by late summer and then back to square one the next year.

My current level of frustration has caused me to take my first-ever lesson a couple of weeks ago from the Assistant Pro at my home courses. The fellow told me simply that I needed to stop gripping the club so hard and get rid of the tension. There's some truth to it and something I need to work on, but I suspect my issues run a lot deeper than that.

Edited by mcanadiens

I'm not sure what kind of golfer I am. I can play alone or with anyone. I can play for $ and be serious about my game or go out and just play for the fun/relaxation of it. I tend to play to the level of my competition. The better the players I play with/against, the better I play. I also have learned over the past few years that some days I'm just not going to play as well as I do on others. I guess I'm a "go with flow" golfer?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Power player, you'll routinely be 30+ yards behind my drives ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I’m a cluster f***. I have no sense of feel or at least no sense of feel for anything beneficial to a golf swing. Many rounds have turned  into a self reflecting inner conversation of ‘why do I do this.’ 

I would choose, A Danger to Myself and Others, if it was a choice.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I am a why do I punish myself golfer.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 1758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!