IGNORED

When Are You No Longer a Beginner?

Nail
Note: This thread is 1753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was just wondering when you guys consider someone not a beginner anymore. 

Is it length of time played?

Is it the amount of golf played?

Is it ability?

I have still played less than 80 rounds altogether, would you guys consider me a beginner or a novice?

Obviously I’m interested for myself but it’s not just about me, when did you no longer feel like a beginner? Do you still think you are a beginner?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Nail said:

Obviously I’m interested for myself but it’s not just about me, when did you no longer feel like a beginner? Do you still think you are a beginner?

I have only been playing for a little over 13 years and there's a good argument to be made that I'm a beginner ;-) 

I stopped feeling like a beginner the first time I posted a double digit score (for 18 holes, regulation course).  

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I don't consider myself a beginner but I'm far from accomplished.   I can't really say when the change happened from beginner to non-beginner.   I believe my perspective is relative to whom I compare myself.     

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

A beginner has never bought a new driver because it promised more distance.

A beginner has never bought a dozen new golf balls at a $40+ price point.

A beginner has never stayed awake most of the night dreaming what he/she intends to shoot the next day.

A beginner never stews over color-coordinating his/her golf clothing.

A beginner has never given much thought to getting a GHIN handicap.

A beginner thinks all putters are created equal.

A beginner wonders what the big deal is with a golf glove... and which hand to wear it on.

Ah, to be a beginner again and be innocent...

• Like 4

You are no longer a beginner when you can tee off on #1 with friends, and/or strangers with total confidence. 

It matters little what type of game you bring. Just teeing off in a relaxed mode, and not being intimidated, means your golf journey is well underway. 

I knew I was no longer a beginner when I was paired up with an older guy, who name was on his bag, along with the letters "PGA". Although he crushed me score wise, I held what game I had, together for the 18 holes. 

When we were walking off the 18th green, I asked him what he thought of my game, such as it was. He told me in a very respectfull manner that "you still have a few things to learn". Also that he had seen worse games. 

Ever since that round, unless otherwise determined, I always want to hit first on the first tee. Friends, or strangers, I am going first. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

3 minutes ago, Patch said:

Ever since that round, unless otherwise determined, I always want to hit first on the first tee. Friends, or strangers, I am going first. 

I always go first off the first tee.  All my wussy golf buddies hem and haw, stand around looking at each other, not wanting to lead off.  I hit the damn ball before one of them comes up with the idiotic "toss the tee in the air" thing.

• Like 2

I have been playing for 4 years, 3 with a GHIN. I play 5 times a week between April-November and I have 2 aces, 2 eagles, enough birdies and have broken 80. I still consider myself a beginner.

I also like to be the first one to tee off at the first tee when others are still busy getting their gloves on, finding the ugliest ball (in case they lose it), stretching...I don’t feel all eyes on me - no pressure, no expectations.

If you’re asking, you’re still a beginner...

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

You cease being a beginner when you meet one.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 6/29/2019 at 2:48 PM, Nail said:

I was just wondering when you guys consider someone not a beginner anymore. 

Is it length of time played?

Is it the amount of golf played?

Is it ability?

I have still played less than 80 rounds altogether, would you guys consider me a beginner or a novice?

Probably a combination of the three: time, amount, ability.  I would not consider a player who had played regularly for a year to still be a "Beginner."  80 rounds is well more than the average USA golfer plays in a year.  If you played those rounds over the course of 1-2 years, then you meet my theoretical "Novice" standard for amount of play and time.  Ability is a bit harder to judge.  An adult male should probably make contact with every shot, have the ability (but not the consistency) to hit a driver or 3-wood over 170 yards, be able to hit irons and wedges into the air, make the occasional par, 2-putt a majority of the greens and be familiar with the Rules of Golf.

• Informative 1

Brian Kuehn

Seems to me that I begin again every April and maybe by July I start to look like I have any idea what I'm doing.

Really, being a beginner has more to do with what you know or don't know about the game and less about ability. It's as much about stuff like rules, etiquette, keeping up pace as it is swinging the golf club.

A buddy of mine has more natural ability than I could ever dream of having and usually he beats me on the course, but he's a beginner because he doesn't know (or care about) the rules. I had to learn to ignore any claims he makes about his score because he takes improper drops, mulligans and forgets strokes routinely. To me, he's a massively talented beginner.

4 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Probably a combination of the three: time, amount, ability.  I would not consider a player who had played regularly for a year to still be a "Beginner."  80 rounds is well more than the average USA golfer plays in a year.  If you played those rounds over the course of 1-2 years, then you meet my theoretical "Novice" standard for amount of play and time.  Ability is a bit harder to judge.  An adult male should probably make contact with every shot, have the ability (but not the consistency) to hit a driver or 3-wood over 170 yards, be able to hit irons and wedges into the air, make the occasional par, 2-putt a majority of the greens and be familiar with the Rules of Golf.

By your definition I am definitely a novice, I’ve made birdies and pars although yet to make an eagle. I’ve never birdied a par 3 yet though so that’ll tell you my irons are the worst aspect of my game. I rarely 3 putt though. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:55 AM, bkuehn1952 said:

Rules of Golf.

Golf has rules?  :doh:

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

On 6/30/2019 at 2:31 AM, Double Mocha Man said:

I always go first off the first tee.  All my wussy golf buddies hem and haw, stand around looking at each other, not wanting to lead off.  I hit the damn ball before one of them comes up with the idiotic "toss the tee in the air" thing.

Isn’t the lowest hcp supposed to tee off?

9 minutes ago, Killa said:

Isn’t the lowest hcp supposed to tee off?

I have not heard that.  I'm thinking of trying an experiment with my friends.  To not jump up and tee off first.  I'll just linger to the side.  After about 5 minutes of inactivity the course marshal or starter will probably come up and inquire if we're waiting for our gallery to arrive or if rigor mortis has set in.

Note: This thread is 1753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!