Jump to content
criley4way

How to Manage the Heat?

113 posts / 7137 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I wear a long sleeve shirt when Summer rolls around.  White cotton isn't as slimy as sun block...and is more effective.  My next "golf" purchase is going to be a bone-fishing outfit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

On 7/5/2019 at 11:48 AM, Double Mocha Man said:

Is it to improve their bottom line?  Keep you safe?  Or avoid liability issues?

My main course requires carts too, on hot days.  Mainly to keep one safe AND avoid liability issues. Carts provided at no additional cost on such days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, DrMJG said:

Carts provided at no additional cost on such days

That's a great service! Impressive.

Some suggestions:
- Cool box packed with tiny pre-frozen face towels (for head and neck)
- Umbrella
- Cart
- Golf sleeves (cooler than a long-sleeve shirt)
- Mountable battery powered fan
- Frozen water bottles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/5/2019 at 4:12 PM, mcanadiens said:

Some times you just got to hang with em for a few rounds.

Realize that your body will adapt. Today's blistering round is tomorrow's mildly unpleasant.

I want to warn you that South Florida summers are not like what most Americans identify as "hot".  There are so many northerners who visit here in the winter and tell us that it gets "just as hot" wherever they are from.  This is because they are looking at a number and not actually spending the summer here.  As an example, I got out at 9 AM this morning to hit a bucket and get in some chipping.  Halfway through the bucket I was asking myself how I felt about abandoning the second half.  Your armpits soak your shirt just on the way to your car for work in the morning. If there is no rain, it will stay in the 90s until dark and damp all day.  I lose several pounds of water when I play 18 even while drinking plenty.  If you visit, keep in mind that it is not a matter of adapting to unpleasantness.  It is dangerous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Good suggestion! Most people don't realize that the Romans invented the umbrella to keep the sun off of them, not the rain! The very word umbrella comes from the Latin "umbra", which means shadow. Umbrella means "little shadow".

Well the word umbrella may be rooted in Latin, but the Romans did not invent the umbrella. Or the parasol, for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can't really help with humidity, but I play (and walk) in heat frequently. Some things I do that help:

  • Lots of water. At least one bottle at each station. (Although if you're not thirsty and have been drinking a lot, you shouldn't chug a bunch of water.)
  • Packing a frozen water or frozen gatorade that I can drink halfway through the round or so
  • Food is a good idea, too. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich is my go-to. Granola bars are good. Bananas or apples. 
  • Shade. Finding it when you can is good. An umbrella, if you have a push cart, helps. Hat is essential, and a big sun hat doesn't hurt either.
  • Breathable clothing. Wicking material is good. There are some "cooling" shirts you can buy that I think help a little. Not a ton, though.

All that said, I don't think I could walk if it was 90 degrees and a lot of humidity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I can't really help with humidity, but I play (and walk) in heat frequently. Some things I do that help:

  • Lots of water. At least one bottle at each station. (Although if you're not thirsty and have been drinking a lot, you shouldn't chug a bunch of water.)
  • Packing a frozen water or frozen gatorade that I can drink halfway through the round or so
  • Food is a good idea, too. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich is my go-to. Granola bars are good. Bananas or apples. 
  • Shade. Finding it when you can is good. An umbrella, if you have a push cart, helps. Hat is essential, and a big sun hat doesn't hurt either.
  • Breathable clothing. Wicking material is good. There are some "cooling" shirts you can buy that I think help a little. Not a ton, though.

All that said, I don't think I could walk if it was 90 degrees and a lot of humidity. 

And it should be light colored clothing so it doesn't soak up the sun, but reflects it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My routine:

1 PowerAde® prior to first tee.

3 More PowerAdes® kept cool and at the ready

Candy, fruit, granola bars at he ready.  For diabetics, such as me, dropping sugars is a great risk for hot weather activities. For non-diabetics, too

Shade is key. If no shade to park my cart under, I often sit in the cart until my turn to hit.

WIDE hat. I tend to wear  straw hat with a wide brim.

Light colored clothing Pants with long legs and shirts with sun sleeves.

lots of sun screen on exposed skin areas

And, most importantly...

I have willingness to call the game short if the heat gets to me. And for many it is tough to do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, DrMJG said:

My routine:

1 PowerAde® prior to first tee.

3 More PowerAdes® kept cool and at the ready

 

How big are these PowerAdes you're drinking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Shindig said:

How big are these PowerAdes you're drinking?

I have read that the sodium content in powerade is pretty high. I have been advised by my doc to not us this drink because of the high sodium.

Not a big deal for younger folks, but older folks should know about higher amounts of surgars, and sodium in drinks they conuime in larger than normal quantities.   

I have a friend who drinks the no sugar version. However, he mixes his with water for a 50/50 mix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, Patch said:

I have read that the sodium content in powerade is pretty high. I have been advised by my doc to not us this drink because of the high sodium.

Not a big deal for younger folks, but older folks should know about higher amounts of surgars, and sodium in drinks they conuime in larger than normal quantities.   

I have a friend who drinks the no sugar version. However, he mixes his with water for a 50/50 mix. 

I'll stick with my Italian sports drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shindig said:

How big are these PowerAdes you're drinking?

I tend to have one large before to keep me ready and I have 2 small and one large on hand in the bag. On very hot days, I tend to not need rest room. As I do need electrolytes to keep me hydrated, I would rater be ready.  Last week I teed of at 85º and ended at 110º when the round ended 3.25 hours later.

1 hour ago, Patch said:

I have read that the sodium content in powerade is pretty high. I have been advised by my doc to not us this drink because of the high sodium.

Not a big deal for younger folks, but older folks should know about higher amounts of surgars, and sodium in drinks they conuime in larger than normal quantities.   

I have a friend who drinks the no sugar version. However, he mixes his with water for a 50/50 mix. 

I drink the no sugar versions: I am diabetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

49 minutes ago, DrMJG said:

I tend to have one large before to keep me ready and I have 2 small and one large on hand in the bag. On very hot days, I tend to not need rest room. As I do need electrolytes to keep me hydrated, I would rater be ready.  Last week I teed of at 85º and ended at 110º when the round ended 3.25 hours later.

I drink the no sugar versions: I am diabetic.

I keep forgetting about the electrolytes.  That makes it even more important.  I haven't brought Powerade to the course with me on a regular basis, and that's a bad oversight of mine.  Going to fix it going forward, and this is a good reminder.  Thank you!

I am also on the Powerade Zero preference, for different reasons.  I am particularly happy to hear it works for what it needs to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, DrMJG said:

I tend to have one large before to keep me ready and I have 2 small and one large on hand in the bag. On very hot days, I tend to not need rest room. As I do need electrolytes to keep me hydrated, I would rater be ready.  Last week I teed of at 85º and ended at 110º when the round ended 3.25 hours later.

I drink the no sugar versions: I am diabetic.

As well, electrolytes need some sodium to aid better absorption. For me it is not a bothersome amount

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, billchao said:

Well the word umbrella may be rooted in Latin, but the Romans did not invent the umbrella. Or the parasol, for that matter.

Well then, who did? I was referencing something I read quite some time ago. Apparently your historian disagrees with my historian. 

6 hours ago, Patch said:

I have read that the sodium content in powerade is pretty high. I have been advised by my doc to not us this drink because of the high sodium.

Not a big deal for younger folks, but older folks should know about higher amounts of surgars, and sodium in drinks they conuime in larger than normal quantities.   

I have a friend who drinks the no sugar version. However, he mixes his with water for a 50/50 mix. 

My buddy's Son has dumped the Gatorade because of the sugar, and has gone to a drink called "Body Armor". I haven't read the ingredients label yet, but he loves it. He has dropped close to 40 lbs over the past 8 months by cutting out sugar. 

1 hour ago, DrMJG said:

As well, electrolytes need some sodium to aid better absorption. For me it is not a bothersome amount

 

Electrolytes are critical! Also, when I worked in a steel mill, and it was blazing hot and we were sweating like plowhorses, they would give us salt gels to replace the salt we were sweating out. It was kind of like a large, mint flavored Gummi Bear infused with salt. 

Back in the day when I was working for a beverage wholesaler, one of our drivers spotted another of our trucks at a stop and pulled in to say high and maybe help out. He pulled alongside and saw the other driver staring at his clipboard with the orders he was supposed to deliver. He said, "Hey Tony, how's it going/" "Oh, OK I guess. But I have all these orders, and I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them!" 

The driver thought "Tony" might be having a stroke, so he said he was going inside to get a cold bottle of water, and did Tony want one? Yeah, sure. He had them call an ambulance and then called the office. I took the call, hopped in the company van and ran out there. The ambulance was there when I arrived, and I found out where they were taking him, and called the boss so he could be there. 

Long story short, Tony's electrolytes were all messed up due to body fluid loss. His brain just wouldn't work properly! Less than a half hour on an IV and he was right as rain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I purchased some cheap arm sleeves and can't believe the difference they make.   They almost have a cooling feeling and I've actually applied water which almost adds another dimension to cooling.   I'm a believer 

Edited by dennyjones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I purchased some cheap arm sleeves and can't believe the difference they make.   They almost have a cooling feeling and I've actually applied water which almost adds another dimension to cooling.   I'm a believer 

I use them, too! quite a difference

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. Hydrate before
2. Hydrate during
3. Hydrate after

I tend to wear looser fitting shirts. I also find shade when possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...