IGNORED

2019 FedExCup Playoffs

iacas
Note: This thread is 1666 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 8/10/2019 at 8:00 AM, Wally Fairway said:

I think it will be interesting, but it could also make the event very boring. If Brooks (since he likely gets the -10 handicap) were to go out an play and the 2nd and 3rd place guys struggles, then you could have a guy with a 6-8 shot lead going into Sunday. And IMO that would take much of the excitement out of the weekend.
But let's see how it plays out.

If it’s Brooks yeah. But Spieth or Fowler having that lead could be interesting. Always suspenseful when a player who can shoot a big number has a good lead.😀

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, rehmwa said:

to be consistent - Patrick "won" nothing this week then.  he's just got the best temporary position going into the second event of the series.

Actually Patrick won a minimum of $2m this weekend.  He won $1.6m for winning at Liberty National and a minimum of $400k even if he finishes 30th in FedEx points at Eastlake.  Currently at 2nd, he probably will finish top 10 or 15 or better regardless.

John

2 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

Actually Patrick won a minimum of $2m this weekend.  He won $1.6m for winning at Liberty National and a minimum of $400k even if he finishes 30th in FedEx points at Eastlake.  Currently at 2nd, he probably will finish top 10 or 15 or better regardless.

John

But....but.... but.....  It's SO CONFUSING, this is the Fedex Cup...how can there be more than one winner?  I protest....this is totally out of line.  How can we possibly make sense of the entire thing if there is more than just the Cup winner.....????!!!!!!!

(I'm hoping emoji's aren't needed here for the sarcasm.  If they are, it's on the reader, not me.)

• Like 1

Bill - 

The goal is for the FedEx Champ to also be the Tour Champion... or at least one of the Top 5 in FedEx points going into Eastlake.

For this reason, I think Tiger shuts it down for the year.  Even if he manages to get into the top 30, there are just too many strokes given to the FedEx leaders to overcome.

If Tiger shoots a -14 at Eastlake 2019 and Koepka shoots -5, Brooks wins (unless one of the other top 5/10 shoots better).  Either way Tiger loses.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

I don't know why - but I'm fascinated by some unexpected circumstances that I think could happen with the FexEx Cup at East Lake. 
Things like:

- If one of the top players in the standings who doesn't have a win this year (Ancer, Simpson, Scott, JT) can finish 2nd this week at Medinah then they could move up to the top 5, and then if they'd shoot the 2nd best at East Lake and win the Tour Championship and FedEx Cup without ever shooting the best 4 rounds for any event during the season.

- I'm also interested to see if someone (Brooks, Reed, Rory or the BMW winner) can run away event given the handicap starts.  

- I also want to see how well Harold Varner III can do, climbing from 102 to 29 last week, with a high finish this week he could put himself in position to show what can happen if you get hot at the right time

On a separate note: is it wrong of me to want to see  BDC/JB Holmes pairing sometime this week and watch the grass grow between shots?

And I'm pulling for Spieth the get a top 5 to jump up another 15 spots and get into East Lake.

Players play, tough players win!

7 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I don't know why - but I'm fascinated by some unexpected circumstances that I think could happen with the FexEx Cup at East Lake. 
Things like:

- If one of the top players in the standings who doesn't have a win this year (Ancer, Simpson, Scott, JT) can finish 2nd this week at Medinah then they could move up to the top 5, and then if they'd shoot the 2nd best at East Lake and win the Tour Championship and FedEx Cup without ever shooting the best 4 rounds for any event during the season.

I'm not fascinated by it, I think it's stupid.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

I would like to see that the fedEx cup point´s are just to see who plays the Northen Trust.

After that the points are no longer valid and the first 70 of the Northen Trust will made it to the next playoff stage and after that only the first 30 will made it to the final stage.

All positions defined by stroke play and suddend death in case of ties on the cut.

I've just accepted that the playoffs are silly and once you get into the top 125, the rest of the season doesn't matter much anymore.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

The new format was decided way before Tiger won at East Lake and I would think this might be a one and done if it doesn’t play out well.

The PGA goes to all this trouble to capture August as their championship month only to “effectively” have guys shoot in the 50’s on the opening round.

It may turn out to be exciting, but it is could be a recipe to get points early and often, hang on throughout the year, and use the strokes at the final.  It will be interesting if someone like Kuchar gets just hot enough to win the championship on strokes given.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

• Administrator
4 hours ago, klineka said:

I'm not fascinated by it, I think it's stupid.

That’s how playoffs work.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think people would complain about the FedExCup Playoff structure no matter what, which I know because they've used almost every method imaginable and people have complained every time. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

That’s how playoffs work.

But it's not really how playoffs in other sports work though. 

I don't think a single playoff win should be worth 4x what a regular season win and 3.3x a major championship (plus The Players) wins are worth.

FWIW, Rory earned 600 points for winning The Players and Reed had only earned 774 points the entire season prior to winning the Northern Trust.

I think the reason I don't care for it is because in most other major pro sports that I can think of (Baseball, Hockey, Football, Basketball), your regular season record determines your seeding and home field advantage for the playoffs, but then in terms of wins and losses, everyone essentially starts over for the playoffs.

Pretty much what @p1n9183 said earlier is what would make it more similar to playoffs in other sports and would be better than the current format IMO.

5 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

I would like to see that the FedEx cup point´s are just to see who plays the Northern Trust.

After that the points are no longer valid and the first 70 of the Northern Trust will made it to the next playoff stage and after that only the first 30 will made it to the final stage.

• Like 1

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, jamo said:

I think people would complain about the FedExCup Playoff structure no matter what, which I know because they've used almost every method imaginable and people have complained every time. 

This. 10x this.

53 minutes ago, klineka said:

But it's not really how playoffs in other sports work though. 

Okay, then Patrick Reed wins the playoffs, because he just beat everyone else, and the losers go home in the playoffs.

My point is clearly that the playoffs matter MORE than the regular season. The Steelers were the sixth seed and played three road games before winning the Super Bowl with Jerome Bettis. They didn't win the division, but they won the games that mattered more.

A baseball team can win the wild-card game and then ultimately the World Series.

Plus, what @jamo said.

53 minutes ago, klineka said:

FWIW, Rory earned 600 points for winning The Players and Reed had only earned 774 points the entire season prior to winning the Northern Trust.

So? It's a playoff event. He got in, and then performed well in the events that matter much more.

Players are seeded, and there is no home field advantage in golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think the issue comes into play trying to make the Tour Champion and the FedEx Cup Champion one in the same.

I had less of a problem watching Tiger win the Tour Championship as it is supposed to represent moving through the payoffs and ultimately beating the best.  It is a grueling task and winning it is a real accomplishment.

Winning the FedEx Cup is all about the money and rankings should be based on the culmination of a body of work throughout the year.  And watching Justin Rose play to win the FedEx Cup was fine also.

I know everyone complains about the playoffs, and I know some players skip one of the playoffs or one gets hot and unexpectantly pulls off a coup.  But giving 10 (or 8,7,6...) strokes to the best players in the world for just one tournament seems like the wrong solution.

John

Edited by 70sSanO
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, iacas said:

My point is clearly that the playoffs matter MORE than the regular season. The Steelers were the sixth seed and played three road games before winning the Super Bowl with Jerome Bettis. They didn't win the division, but they won the games that mattered more.

A baseball team can win the wild-card game and then ultimately the World Series.

No argument from me there, I agree that playoffs matter more than the regular season, the point I was trying to make is I don't really understand or agree with the fact that golf carries the regular season point totals over into the playoffs other than to determine the seeding.

That would be similar to each MLB (or NFL, NBA, etc) team having their regular season record to determine their playoff seeding, and then they would go through multiple rounds of the playoffs accumulating more wins to their "season long" record, except that each playoff win counts for 4 wins onto their "season long" record and the "champion" is actually the team with the best "season long" record, not necessarily the team that wins the final round of the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, klineka said:

That would be similar to each MLB (or NFL, NBA, etc) team having their regular season record to determine their playoff seeding, and then they would go through multiple rounds of the playoffs accumulating more wins to their "season long" record, except that each playoff win counts for 4 wins onto their "season long" record and the "champion" is actually the team with the best "season long" record, not necessarily the team that wins the final round of the playoffs. 

Hmm. Not a bad idea.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

A few comments from an interested bystander (me)

- here is a link that shows you how players will likely need to finish this week to advance to next week 

horschel-847-jaredctilton.jpg

The FedExCup Playoffs have been reduced to the top 70 going into this week’s BMW Championship. By Sunday night, another 40 players will be eliminated, with the top 30 in points advancing to the TOUR Championship...

Tee times are posted and JB Holmes is in the first group....try not to become the story for slow play and holding up the entire field. Then again they can't fall behind the group in front of them so it is all based their own pace of play

It is hard to compare golf's playoffs to other sports, when the biggest events of the year are the majors and IMO the Player's Championship is a bigger event than the Tour Championship. Part of this is because by qualifying for the Tour championship you get a chance to win one of the smallest field events of the entire year. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it changes the dynamic. In reality the FedEx Cup is all about the paycheck (a really big paycheck) - but it doesn't determine who had the best year; it does determine who wins the most money (or biggest deferred payoff). 
And although it has been won by some of the greatest players, in years where they were the best player of the year. It isn't because of winning the Tour Championship, because no one is looking back and saying Jodie Mudd, Jim Gallagher Jr or Bart Bryant were ever the best players.

Players play, tough players win!

Note: This thread is 1666 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!