iacas

2019 Newport Cup Applications Accepted Here

50 posts / 3824 viewsLast Reply

Costs of ~$800 plus flights isn't in the cards for us this year, as much as I would love to participate with you guys in this.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

As bad as I hate to write this post, I have to. I am going to have to pull my name from the application process. We have been having an issue with our pool and it now looks like we are going to have to tear up and replace our entire concrete pad. The quote came back this weekend and it was 9k. I have played with some numbers all weekend to see if I could still make it happen and I just can't. The concrete work is just going to hit our nest egg too much. I will continue working on my game obviously and come in even stronger at the next one. Sorry guys..

I too am unable to attend. All kinds of crap going on the past couple months. Trying to handle business matters in two different states but the real problem has been getting back to work (school) and coaching the golf team that doesn't exist. I coach a team at a school with 1800 students and don't have any boys on the golf team and one girl. Unfortunately I have had to put everything on hold for the past three weeks while waiting to see if I was going to have any golfers. Now I don't have a team to coach and have wasted a bunch of time screwing around with it. Whoever says to me that the game is growing....has  not been to the Tampa Fl area. I know this isn't the forum for this but I can't believe how small the golf team numbers have decreased in the past five years. Even the teams that are good every year have much smaller numbers.  

@mvmac and I have made the decision to delay this for a year, possibly two (so it remains off-year with the Ryder Cup).

Thank you for those who applied. I feel for you having taken the time to make the videos; they were entertaining to watch, though. This topic will be unpinned, but remain open, as will the other. Though I may just merge them at some point…

I got another year or two to sandbag 😛

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

I feel for you having taken the time to make the videos; they were entertaining to watch, though.

Can I roll over the application 😛

I'm sorry for this bit of news, I can only guess how much work you two have both put in to make this a possibility.  From a completely selfish standpoint, I don't think I'll have any nieces getting married next fall, so I hope to be able to put my hat in the ring for the East team when the time comes.  

I hate that the event did not play out. But I, like @DaveP043 stated, from a completely selfish standpoint think I will be fully available for next year or the year after. I am actually setting aside the money WELL in advance so any issues that pop up like I had this year, will have no bearing on me applying.

Edited by TN94z

2 hours ago, iacas said:

@mvmac and I have made the decision to delay this for a year, possibly two (so it remains off-year with the Ryder Cup).

Well that's disappointing to hear. On the bright side I'll have more time to work on getting better.

22 minutes ago, billchao said:

Well that's disappointing to hear. On the bright side I'll have more time to work on getting better.

Me too!

8 hours ago, iacas said:

As I sit here at Talamore Resort,  the home of the 2017 NC, that stinks.

Maybe next year or 2021.

54 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

As I sit here at Talamore Resort,  the home of the 2017 NC, that stinks.

6 hours ago, billchao said:

Well that's disappointing to hear. 

Yeah. Have been playing decent golf too. Never played in Vegas before. Would have been nice.

6 hours ago, billchao said:

On the bright side I'll have more time to work on getting better.

🍺🍺🍺

Selfishly, I'm glad this is being delayed, because I wasn't going to be able to make the dates this year. But I feel bad for those who could make it. We'll just have to make it bigger and better next year (or two years from now).

18 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Selfishly, I'm glad this is being delayed, because I wasn't going to be able to make the dates this year. But I feel bad for those who could make it. We'll just have to make it bigger and better next year (or two years from now).

I always enjoy reading about these events when they happen.  But I also couldn't make it and was eligible, to some extent (once they raised the max handicap).  Now I have yet another motivation to keep up my game and try to improve:  to qualify for the Newport Cup when it happens next.  

But I do feel bad for everyone who could have made it.  These events seem like such fun.