IGNORED

When Is One No Longer a High Handicap Golfer?

Sean_D
Note: This thread is 1702 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just now, David in FL said:

Slope is also a factor used in calculating the differentials from which your index is derived.  It’s 96% of the average of your low 10 differentials...

yeah, Im not following your point to be honest. All of that was covered in my initial post. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Didn't mean to cause such a ruckus with my post. 😉   I just went to check here: 

threw in some random generic names (Johnson and Simpson) and found a 13.4 who's got 9/20 under 90 on his card and a 15.1 who's got 5/20 on his card sub 90.  Also, a 12.5 that has 12/20 under 90.  So I actually was being generous.  To be consistently under 90 seems to mean to basically be darn near single digits.  Of course, the debate then becomes how do you define 'consistently.' :)

40 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

So I actually was being generous.  To be consistently under 90 seems to mean to basically be darn near single digits.

I'm a 13.0 and I have 7 rounds over 90, so based on the statistically significant sample size of me, I agree 😜

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I figured I was no longer a high capper when I started beating high cappers. 

These days, averaging mostly in the low 80s, I figure I am a low/mid capper.

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Anyone with a handicap higher than me is a high handicap golfer.

Anyone with a lower handicap cheats.

:-D

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I, too, have gone from a "heavenly" high near 30 to a fairly consistent 18.  So I do not consider myself as anything except a mid range. It took a lot of practice and now at least one round a week, many weeks more.

And, while I am more than capable of doin the various math formulae, I simply add stuff into the Grint to keep a handicap for myself.  While I get a USGA HCP, do not play enough official rounds, tournaments, of attest rounds (I often play as a singer) to get the fully official version.

It will be interesting to see what my index will be when the more unified USGA/R&A comes into play and I win an old geezers group in January.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

This is a very good thread. Personally I believe above 18 is high. I have a fiend who has played off of scratch since he was 14, and been a pro all his working life, and he thinks somebody who plays off of 6 is rubbish. 

- Simon Hornsby

• iacas changed the title to When Is One No Longer a High Handicap Golfer?
55 minutes ago, Mr Puddle said:

This is a very good thread. Personally I believe above 18 is high. I have a fiend who has played off of scratch since he was 14, and been a pro all his working life, and he thinks somebody who plays off of 6 is rubbish. 

Depends on what population he’s considering. Pros? Yeah ...a 6 isn’t anything to write home about. But across the entire world of golfers a 6 is damn good hcp.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 hours ago, David in FL said:

Anyone with a handicap higher than me is a high handicap golfer.

Anyone with a lower handicap cheats.

:-D

"Anyone driving slower than me is an idiot. And if they drive faster than me, they're a maniac!" - George Carlin

I would say 20 for a High HC player.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:08 PM, billchao said:

I'm a 13.0 and I have 7 rounds over 90, so based on the statistically significant sample size of me, I agree 😜

Same here. I have a few over 90 this year and a bunch in the 80s. I'm kind of bipolar that way. :-P

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

19 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Depends on what population he’s considering. Pros? Yeah ...a 6 isn’t anything to write home about. But across the entire world of golfers a 6 is damn good hcp.

I agree with you totally, but he is a golf snob. He has always found the game simple, and just can't understand why anyone is different

- Simon Hornsby

1 hour ago, Mr Puddle said:

I agree with you totally, but he is a golf snob. He has always found the game simple, and just can't understand why anyone is different

I had a friend years ago like that but he was far from being a snob. He was more like Daly. This guy was heavy set with no athleticism visually: He partied like a rock star and hardly ever practiced. His father played college golf and gave him his only instruction. I caddied for him in a couple of US OPEN qualifiers but he never quite made it. But damn could he play. It’s a shame he just couldn’t get committed. We’d play together at his home course which was pretty difficult and he’d fire 66 like it was nothing. I don’t think he ever realized how good he was or more, how good he could’ve been had he appreciated his talent and worked hard to make it to the tour. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

A Google search says the current USGA average handicap is 15. Obviously, a lot of people don't participate in the USGA and the speculation is that they are mostly higher handicaps.

I'd say you are on the cusp of losing your high handicapper status. If the average is 15, then once you are under the average, shouldn't you consider yourself in the top 50%, thus no longer a high handicapper?

I suppose the next question should be, "When do I become a low handicap golfer?"  I like the previous answer, single digits from 9 down...

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say 18 is the borderline for being no longer considered a high handicapper. As you can see when you plug your scores into a golf handicap calculator there are different factors such as course rating and course slope that can play a factor in determining a golfers index. If a golfer only ever plays one golf course then they may be used to it which could scew their index as compared to playing at another course which they are uncomfortable with where they shoot higher scores. By playing a variety of courses it may more accurately represent their true ability. It's also worth noting consistency because if you score in the mid 80's on a great day but then most of the time score over 90 then it's a fine line between where you'd consider yourself to be in the handicap range.

Note: This thread is 1702 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!