IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

5 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Would you rather...?  #12

Would you rather play golf with Santa Claus at the North Pole and receive the present of 2 holes-in-one in that round or play golf with Tiger Woods and have him beat you by 35 strokes while looking away from his drained putt on 18 to shake your hand?

I'll take the round with Tiger. First of all I don't really enjoy playing in the cold, and I can't imagine it at the North Pole. Secondly, the round with Tiger probably won't be taking place at the local muni! It will be at a 5 star resort, and I'd be treated like a king! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Would you rather play golf with Santa Claus at the North Pole and receive the present of 2 holes-in-one in that round or play golf with Tiger Woods and have him beat you by 35 strokes while looking away from his drained putt on 18 to shake your hand?

Santa Claus all the way. Nobody's going to believe you either way, so may as well go for Old Saint Nick. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

6 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I would have picked Santa without the two hole-in-ones.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

16 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Big hitter Claus! Will the reindeer be our caddies?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Would you rather...?  #13

Would you rather make every 5 footer for the rest of your golfing career or automatically sink 2 of your 20 - 30 footers per 18 hole round.

I'll take the 5 footers, assuming I meant everything under 5 feet, too.  Just think of all the birdie putts you could charge and run by the hole by 4' 11".

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Would you rather make every 5 footer for the rest of your golfing career or automatically sink 2 of your 20 - 30 footers per 18 hole round.

I'll take the longer putts. The math supports it.

I already make about 90% of my 5 footers and in… because most of them are three feet and in. I have pretty good distance control. So here's the thing: even if I had six five-footers per round, I'm going to make those at about 75% or more, so that's only 1.5 strokes saved.

Making two 30-footers per round is worth nearly 2.0 strokes alone. Two 20-footers is worth a bit more than 1.5 strokes.

And it would be a weird day if I had six five-footers.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'll take the 5 footers, assuming I meant everything under 5 feet, too.  Just think of all the birdie putts you could charge and run by the hole by 4' 11".

If you did mean everything 5ft and under, I’ll take the first option as well, because I’m not great at short putts. That would save me at least 2-3 strokes/round, turning my normal 92 into a 90 or even an 89! There are quite a few clutch putts that are inside 5ft as well that this choice would take care of.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The math may not support it, but I’m going with never missing a 5’ putt or under again.  Call it stress reduction.  

Plus, think of the side bet opportunities!  ;-)

• Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'll take the 5 ft and under putts.

I've been struggling with my putting as of late....practice putting ok....but on course putting not great.

I played like sh*t today....missed six putts under 5 feet today...including three 3 foot putts.

I would often have those 5 foot putt due to having to scramble for par for chips/pitches

14 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'd go with the longer putts, since I already make a high percentage of my shorter 5'+/- putts.

Plus making a few 20'+ putts per round would be a chest pump for me. I would've done alot of things right to make those.

Now, as I get older, perhaps making more of those 5 footers would come in more handy. We'll see.n

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'd probably take the 20-30 footers 2X a round because making long-ish putts is exciting and this might lead to a one or two birdies every round, which for me as a bogie golfer is probably gaining 2-4 strokes (unless the long putts are to save a double bogey). 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

17 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Give me the two 20-30' putts. Free birdies 😎

17 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The two 20-30' putts you're guaranteed to make are probably birdie putts. If I miss a 20-30' putt I've likely left myself a tap-in anyway.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, billchao said:

Give me the two 20-30' putts. Free birdies 😎

The two 20-30' putts you're guaranteed to make are probably birdie putts. If I miss a 20-30' putt I've likely left myself a tap-in anyway.

But Bill...those two shots you hit stiff every round... don't you want to make those 3-5 footers for birdies?  Just playing devil's golf advocate.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

But Bill...those two shots you hit stiff every round... don't you want to make those 3-5 footers for birdies?  Just playing devil's golf advocate.

Odds are he’ll make them anyway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

As amazingly capable as I am of missing five-footers, there's still a shred of optimism there. I'd take the 2 long ones.

Like @iacas said, I'm likely to make the putt anyway.

I don't often hit an approach shot inside 5' to begin with, but a GIR from 20-30' out is a reasonable outcome.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Would you rather... #14: leave a birdie putt 3 feet short or 5 foot past the hole ?

Edited by billchao
Please follow formatting instructions from OP

Remember its just a game.....more serious than life and death.

13 hours ago, Nagah said:

Would you rather leave a birdie putt 3 feet short or 5 foot past the hole ?

Given, that in the scenario both putts missed, I’ll choose the first option, the one that leaves the shorter par putt.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1