IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

On 3/7/2020 at 5:50 PM, nevets88 said:

You Would You Rather… #21: Shoot 74 85 65 83 or shoot four rounds of 77? 

This is a good question. 

I am going to give the very definitive answer of "It depends".

If I'm just playing golf for fun or with friends or maybe these are the 4 rounds I play on a golf trip, then it's a no brainer. I take Option 1. My lowest round to date remains a 76 (which I've actually done a few times.) So, to break my low round ever and shoot a 74 would be awesome. Then to shoot a 65... well, that's like dream land. The 85 and the 83 are within my current realm of possibilities anyway, so they wouldn't bother me at all. 

Now, if these are the 4 rounds I shoot in a tournament, then that changes things. 

If I went 74, 85 in a tournament and somehow still made the cut to get to play the next two rounds. I'd be excited. I'd have to assume that since I made the cut, the course must of played abnormally difficult on day 2. My 85 must have mixed in with a bunch of high scores. Maybe it was really windy or a slog-fest, something. Then on day 3 of the tournament I fire a 65... I'd have to assume that got me into contention. To then blow it on the final day with an 83 would bum me out. Unless you told me it was another tough day and everyone shot high scores... but I feel that's unlikely. Finishing on the 83 after getting into contention with the 65 would bring me down. I think I'd rather have just shot a consistent group of 77's. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I am going to give the very definitive answer of "It depends".

😠:mad:

On 10/19/2019 at 11:13 PM, iacas said:

The additional Rules are simple:

5. You cannot say "neither" or "both" or anything - you must pick one of the choices; no fence-sitting is allowed.

Bad Chet. Bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hands down option 1.  As much as there is a huge variation in score, it shows me that when I string it together, I am capable of good scores.  Four rounds of 77 may well be the cap on your scoring

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

At my particular ability level, all those scores sound pretty good. I'll have to mentally add some strokes to consider the real question.

I'll take No. 2.

A 20-stroke swing from one round to the next would be a difficult thing for me to handle mentally.  God forbid if the 85 came immediately after the 65. Even the other way around, I'd be thinking the whole time, "What the ---k was yesterday all about?"

Okay, I'm a big fan of these "Would you Rather" questions.

Let's pretend you are on your country/continent's Ryder Cup Team. 

Would you rather...? #22:

Win the Ryder Cup as a country/continent but you, personally, played like crap.

Or your country/continent loses the Ryder Cup, but you played historically brilliant throughout? 

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Or your country/continent loses the Ryder Cup, but you played historically brilliant throughout? 

I would prefer to be on a winning team.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Team win would be better for me. I was an average runner/discus thrower on a track team that was undefeated my four years. It was still a lot of fun even though I didn’t contribute to the wins that much.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I want to say I'd rather have the team win. But if I'm honest. I'd sleep better at night if I played well and we lost.

Whether or not they actually would isn't the question. But I'd feel like every time my teammates looked at me they'd be like "There's our dead weight." 

Okay, I'm a big fan of these "Would you Rather" questions.

Let's pretend you are on your country/continent's Ryder Cup Team. 

I think I'd rather be part of a team win.  Watching the other team popping the champagne corks would make my own good play seem pretty inconsequential.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Because it's country vs. country, region vs. region, continent vs. continent and spy vs. spy I choose the first option.  And I'll be a good sport and cheer on my countrymen.

If I'm honest, since golf is a singles sport and the Ryder Cup ends with a day of singles matches, then on that Sunday I'd probably prefer to play well since the victory may feel hollow if you play poorly.  But for the next day and the next 40 years I'd rather be on the winning team.

Team win.  The team winning washes away all my individual sins.

When your team loses, one gets some solace if one played brilliantly.  Still, it never makes up for the team losing.

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Team win, duh. That's an easy one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Team win, absolutely. That’s kind of the whole point of being part of a team, isn’t it?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Team win, hands down

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Id take the win. At the 2012 Ryder Cup we are standing by the walkway between a green and the next tee box, I don't remember which hole. Im 2 feet from the players as they walk by. As Jim Furyk walks by some dude screams right in his face. "You suck Furyk". I felt a little bad for him. In Ryder Cups, he kind of does, but jeez that was brutal.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22