IGNORED

Would You Rather…?

iacas

7 hours ago, snapfade said:

Would You Rather #61

At a Major, would you rather have a 5 shot lead going into Saturday, or be 1 shot back going into Sunday?

I’ll take the lead going into Sat.  I would prefer to control my destiny.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/19/2023 at 12:03 AM, snapfade said:

Would You Rather #61

At a Major, would you rather have a 5 shot lead going into Saturday, or be 1 shot back going into Sunday?

Give me the lead. I must be doing something right to lead by 5. I would just try to keep doing it.

Brian Kuehn

Would You Rather #61

I'll echo @StuM. Give me the option to close it out from a lead. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

I'll echo @StuM. Give me the option to close it out from a lead. 

Victor Hovland would disagree. LOL

• Funny 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

• Administrator
1 minute ago, snapfade said:

Victor Hovland would disagree. LOL

Tour pros who say they'd rather be trailing are just trying to say the thing that will make them feel the best about their situation, because they ARE trailing. Just like the guys leading all say "I'd rather be leading, and I'll just go out and do what I've been doing."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Would You Rather #61

Give me the lead. Whatever I did to get to that point must be working so just keep on keeping on. If I can’t close it out, at least people will remember it.

I am 1 back, I can play a bit more aggressive and hope I can get hot and keep the mistakes at bay. With a 5 shot lead, you cant make mistakes.  

These two sentences seem to be at odds with each other. You can afford more mistakes with a 5 shot lead than you can being one back. You don’t even have to go back that far to cite an example. Brian Harmon started 2-over through four holes on Saturday at the British Open. Every mistake is magnified when you’re chasing because you were behind when you started.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 1 month later...

Would You Rather #62:

Hit every putt with exactly the speed you intended to hit it with for the rest of your golfing life?

OR

Hit every putt on the exact the line you intended to hit it on for the rest of your golfing life? 

.... For those of you that say "Well, the speed is dependent on the line and the line is dependent on the speed". I get it. But it's a hypothetical question. Just go with it. Also, you are not allowed to say something like "I want to hit every short putt on the exact line I intend and every long putt with the exact speed I intend." 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

22 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #62:

Hit every putt with exactly the speed you intended to hit it with for the rest of your golfing life?

OR

Hit every putt on the exact the line you intended to hit it on for the rest of your golfing life? 

For me it would be the latter - the intended line. I would much rather know that I am seeing the line (reading the green properly).  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Would You Rather #62:

OR

I'd choose the first option.   The second option has other variables, the exact line you intended may not be the read needed to make the putt.   Learning Aimpoint can get you pretty close.

If you don't get the ball to the hole, 85% of the time it ain't going in! 🙃

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #62:

OR

I’ll take accurate speed.  If too fast I may hit the hole but not drop and leave a long putt coming back.  If too slow, the odds say it will never drop.  

at least with perfect speed you I have a better chance of holing it or a short tap in.

Edited by StuM
Fixed tupo

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #62:

OR

I think the best answer for most amateur golfers should be option 1 because that'd mean they'd never 3 putt if they had perfect speed.

But for myself I think I'm going with option 2. I rarely 3 putt now as it is, speed control has always been my strongest part of putting. 

Plus I do aimpoint for my reads and I'm pretty spot on with those most of the time so if I knew that the read was good and then no matter what it was going to go on that line and the only thing I had to worry about was speed I would make A TON of putts. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #62:

Almost everyone should pick the first. Period.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #62:

OR

.... For those of you that say "Well, the speed is dependent on the line and the line is dependent on the speed". I get it. But it's a hypothetical question. Just go with it. Also, you are not allowed to say something like "I want to hit every short putt on the exact line I intend and every long putt with the exact speed I intend." 

Speed baby!

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Would You Rather #62:

OR

Speed and it’s not even close.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Definitely speed!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

16 hours ago, billchao said:

Speed and it’s not even close.

100% speed, and we still practice more line than speed.

On every big midAm Tournament I play, all the players are hitting 10 footers (or less) on the putting green before and after the round. Never saw a guy performing a speed drill on them.

I normally do a speed drill test on the putting green the practice day, but after that all I do is line practices. I like my pace control, and I suck at keeping it on my line but I still know that it would be more beneficial to me to work more on speed, but..... is SO boring!!   

1 hour ago, p1n9183 said:

100% speed, and we still practice more line than speed.

I don’t practice putting much, but when I do it’s almost always speed. The result is I’ve gotten pretty decent at lagging putts inside of 3-6’ and still 3-putting 🤪

Bill

My Swing Thread

14 hours ago, billchao said:

I don’t practice putting much, but when I do it’s almost always speed. The result is I’ve gotten pretty decent at lagging putts inside of 3-6’ and still 3-putting 🤪

Same here except for the three putt. 😉 If I do practice putting in season, it’s usually speed work.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave