IGNORED

Do You Play in Golf Tournaments?

Cantankerish
Note: This thread is 1636 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Curious about how many TST members participate in golf tournaments. Are tournaments important to your enjoyment of the game?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play in golf tournaments?

• No. Never have. Not my thing.
    • No. But I might be prevailed upon to do so if...
    • No. "I am considering it though" or "if I could find one".
    • One or just a few. My experience was...
    • When I get the chance.
    • All the time! That what the game is for.
    • Of course! I am a pro after all.
    • I used to. I no longer compete because...
    • I have. I might compete again if...
    • There are tournaments?
    • Other

I played once or maybe twice when I was young.  My brother needed a fourth for a beer league scramble.  Looking back, he must have been desperate.

Mostly, I am curious if our community members are commonly playing tournament golf, and at what level.  I do not even know what different structures exist.  Is semi-pro a thing in golf?

Edited by Cantankerish

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The men's association at my local muni courses has about 12 different tournaments/events over the course of the year. I play in a handful including the two-round Club Championship. We had 99 members this year and have been able to flight things fairly well. I get to play against the other high-caps and can actually compete when my game is sort of together.

If I, somehow, ever get decent., I may give the City Championship a go just for the hell of it. I'd be under no illusions of winning. The big boys are just too damn good. This year's champ shot a course-record 62 on a course that was 7,124 yards. 

Love tournament play.  I play as many as I can. 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The local Amateur circuit plays a half-dozen events from May through September, and has its two-day Championship in early October.

We usually get two or three rounds a year on private country clubs you might not get to play otherwise. I play in the Senior Net (HDCP) division.

Lately I've been alternating heavy play and light play years (conflicting real-life events). I like the rounds because everyone obeys the rules, and the courses are usually in excellent shape for the events.

One of the biggest thrills is when they announce my name and home club on the No. 1 teebox. (Just like the guys who play on TV!!!)

• Like 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I played in the golf club championship this fall, when a couple guys I play with decided for me that I would be playing this year. So I joined the club and played.  Didn't come in DFL. I might or might not participate again, mostly because it's so difficult to avoid schedule conflicts.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I use to play in every tourney I could get into. I would even travel out of state on a few occassions.

These days I will play in charity tournaments for youngsters when ever I can. I have even organized a few.  

I will also play in a few short game, and 3 club tournaments that show up occasionally. I really like 3 club tournies, and I am still competitive in short game tournaments. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• iacas changed the title to Do You Play in Golf Tournaments?

Whenever I get the chance.  Work and not being near my home course makes it much harder.

My philosophy is simple.  Play in any tournament you can, because it is a true test of your golfing ability, where you are forced to concentrate on every shot and not gonna take gimmes, mulligans or practice shots

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I recently played in my 2nd tournament.  I've actually entered 3 tournaments, first was rained out completely, 2nd was rain shortened to one day, this one actually happened.  My objective in playing has been to see how well my game holds up under pressure.  In general my ball striking has held up well, my short game okay, driving could use some work.

Never anything big time for amateurs but I will play 11-12 single day net tournaments run by our club (average field of 108) as well as our two City Championships (Men's and Senior).

I voted "Other" since I don't agree with "Of course, that is what the game is for."  If one loves competitive or tournament golf, then playing tournaments is great.  A player, however, can be a passionate golfer without playing tournaments.  Golf is not solely for tournaments.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

I chose "No. "I am considering it though" or "if I could find one"." I am not considering scrambles in this though. I have played a few of those, but that is a social event for me.

I need to join my local men's association next year and then I will probably play a few of them. More the following year if I continue to improve. I could use some pressure by competition, as my rounds now never have any consequences besides HDCP. I wouldn't expect to do well, but as someone that plays pool tournaments, I can see how this would change my game in a couple of ways (not playing crazy shots, pin hunting, not laying up, etc.).

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Of late the only tourneys I have played in are scramble events, mostly fund raisers.  I enjoy those because they still have a competitive spirit to them.  They are also on some extremely nice Private Courses.

I used to play in a lot of tournaments and I really miss them.  I have been wanting to get going again but the last 2 seasons have been filled with injuries, fractured heel and then knee.  So it has sucked for golf, actually depressed over it.

Next season I want to get back into stroke play and match play events.  I want to go back to the Pine to Palm in Detroit Lakes.  Qualifying round to place you in a flight and then match play after that.  It is a lot of fun.

Hopefully "next season" doesn't turn into another "next season" with some other injury.

I am also looking at the Senior Amateur events in the area as those look like they could be fun as well.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

I play at least 4 each year, spring-summer-fall. My scores are almost always better when I compete. Love it. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I have played two tournaments so far and I played both horribly. I don’t like competition and I usually give up before even trying. I did not enjoy either event and don’t plan on joining any in the near future.

I play at least 1 tournament every year. I like to consider my entrance fee a donation. I've never won. Last year I actually finished 10th. Which is my best tournament finish ever. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I love tournament golf, the reason I play golf is the competition. 99% of the rounds I play are either tournaments or money games. "Fun" rounds are boring.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Other than handicapped charity tournaments I have never played in a tournament.  A lot of gambling in the past which is why I have always kept my handicap.  I recently joined a semi-private club with a full slate of tournaments for members but my game just hasn't been where I had hoped.  My goal is to play next year in the Senior Championship (gross score) and finish in the top 10.  

I play as much tournament golf as my schedule will allow. My men's club typically has one main event per month, along with a few other events scattered throughout the year, and I have essentially budgeted all of these into my family calendar. 

Our local golf association has a ton of other competitive amateur tournaments that they host. Unfortunately, these are almost all played during the week, so I don't participate due to my work schedule. But whenever I retire, I would love to have at least 2-3 tournaments a month built into my calendar. 

Note: This thread is 1636 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!