IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

2VVnArKqSUQyxQfgm9qYwG-1200-80.jpg

The US and European circuits are in advanced negotiations amid the threat of the LIV Golf Invitational Series

"Golf Monthly can confirm the reports that the DP World Tour has been approached by LIV Golf and discussions have taken place, but the European circuit didn’t give any serious thought to the idea of siding with the Saudi-backed tour."

"Golf Monthly understands there’s also scepticism on the part of the DP World Tour as to the potential longevity of the LIV circuit. "

• Like 1

-Eric

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Are you predicting the Warriors score for Thursday night?  😀😀😀

That’s my dilemma. I’m a Boston sports fan, but my last name is Curry!

So far the LIV list most mostly player I don’t like anyway. They can keep Poulter.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

FWIW, I thought Phil's US Open presser was awkward and cringeworthy.  Especially that nonsense about two part questions.  I guarantee you can go back to many previous pre-tournament pressers where he is asked 2 or 3 part questions without the slightest demur.

Given how long he has been incommunicado and how much time he had  to prepare for this I was surprised.  You would have thought that he'd be doing mock pressers under the guidance of a law firm and PR firm to prepare, like presidential candidates prepare for debates.  But I guess when you think you're the smartest guy in the room you don't have to worry about things like that.

• Like 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

1 hour ago, JetFan1983 said:

image.png

See, I would have said Keurig.  But in some countries, it's owned by Coca-Cola.  And in others, Pepsi.  But in the U.S., Keurig.  

• Funny 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Given how long he has been incommunicado and how much time he had  to prepare for this I was surprised.  You would have thought that he'd be doing mock pressers under the guidance of a law firm and PR firm to prepare, like presidential candidates prepare for debates.

Oh, he absolutely did that. This was a very different press conference than usual. I think it's clear he had media training and practiced. Others have said the same.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

48 minutes ago, turtleback said:

FWIW, I thought Phil's US Open presser was awkward and cringeworthy.  Especially that nonsense about two part questions.  I guarantee you can go back to many previous pre-tournament pressers where he is asked 2 or 3 part questions without the slightest demur.

Given how long he has been incommunicado and how much time he had  to prepare for this I was surprised.  You would have thought that he'd be doing mock pressers under the guidance of a law firm and PR firm to prepare, like presidential candidates prepare for debates.  But I guess when you think you're the smartest guy in the room you don't have to worry about things like that.

My impression was that he knows he's screwed up, knows that there's little defense for his choices in light of his conversation with Shipnuck, so was extremely defensive for for the entire time.  He didn't really have answers, so he kept going back to the script of non-answers.  I compare that with the impression Mike Whan gave today, talking about both the LIV Tour and about the potential actions being considered in the distance issues.  He didn't minimize any concerns, but he came across as knowledgeable and open.  Maybe he's just better in front of the press, or maybe he's not embarrassed by what he's done.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

https://apple.news/AL8yKQM9SSEGzobT_Fjz-kg

if you want to run this tour let's see real reform, let's see real measured reform, let's hear from the women of Saudi Arabia, let's see pictures of them actually out in Riyadh without a burkha on, let me see them driving, let's see them going out on a date, let's see them out playing golf. Let me see real measured reform. Let me see freedom of expression.

"It's never going to happen there. Not certainly under the rule of MBS, Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud. He couldn't be more oppressive. He couldn't be more in favor of centralizing power within himself to an extent that has never happened in Saudi Arabia. There's no evidence of reform in that country. Zero, other than his words, which were about as empty as Phil's were in his press conference."

At this point basically he lost the argument, because I can show him these things lol.

I understand he is upset but he is just wrong at so many levels.  

Let’s look at below comment:

There's no evidence of reform in that country. Zero, other than his words

That’s just not true.  I was skeptical at first but reality is that if anything there is a huge reform program going on and I see it on the ground.

Women can drive and do drive

Cafe shops, malls and all other stores have no segregation of genders. 

Music concerts, plays, golf tours, F1 racing, WWE events and others are common things that everyone attends without segregation of genders

It is common to see woman wearing what ever they want… not shorts or skirts but my wife and I go out and she wears what she is comfortable in.. Not a burkha.

let's see pictures of them actually out in Riyadh without a burkha on

I would share pictures of my wife out and prove him wrong but she would not like that lol

Anyway, my point is that for any regular person who heard what he had to say there probably isn’t any reason for them to go explore if what he is saying is actually true, but to me if he is so wrong about “most” of what he said then how can I take anything ever says at full value?  

If you are going to vilify someone at least do it with something that can stick, there’s plenty of it just not the things he mentioned.

• Like 1

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

We all have to navigate the waters of potential moral decisions through our money choices on a daily basis. Whether it's Amazon or apple or wearing clothes made under questionable conditions. It's kind of impossible not to live a normal life and somehow not do business with potentially questionable corporations or foreign regimes. However, I would point out two things about LIV:

1. It is entirely funded by the Saudi's. This isn't an Emirates sponsorship, or one tournament. It's the whole tour.

2. More importantly, we all know this is a net loser for the Saudi's. They are not going to make money from this tour with how they are operating. Maybe they believe they can flip that in the future. In that case, I think they're nuts, and I doubt they're nuts. So if they cannot turn it into a profitable venture, what is their motivation? And I think we all know what it is. And that's my problem with the tour. If for some reason the US government or the EU wanted to compete with LIV, the new tour would die overnight. Of course that's not going to happen, and I think that's important to consider when taking a position here.

Also, can you get a drink in Saudi Arabia? I don't think you can, but I may be wrong. Any country where I can't order a drink can get f***ed.

Edited by Aguirre
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Witty golf quote."

12 hours ago, Friz said:
2VVnArKqSUQyxQfgm9qYwG-1200-80.jpg

The US and European circuits are in advanced negotiations amid the threat of the LIV Golf Invitational Series

"DP World Tour and PGA Tour are understood to be in the final stages of negotiation, with the financials yet to be fully finalised and the current back and forth centering on money. There’s confidence that a deal will soon be agreed, though.

Golf Monthly understands there’s also scepticism on the part of the DP World Tour as to the potential longevity of the LIV circuit. 

If the PGA and DP World Tours do merge or grow closer, it could likely see the end of LIV Golf players’ involvement with the Ryder Cup." 

If there is a merger between PGA Tour & Euro Tour, it will be interesting to see what they do with the schedule. Also think it would be cool to see the record books mixed together, so that you have guys like Ballesteros & Langer on the same list with guys like Hogan, Snead, etc.

My biggest concern with LIV is the potential for them to basically wipe out the history involving so many legends of the game. McIlroy, Thomas, Rahm, and Tiger have all spoken about how important that is to them. 

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Oh, he absolutely did that. This was a very different press conference than usual. I think it's clear he had media training and practiced. Others have said the same.

Perhaps.  If so I don't think he assimilated the training very well.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
2 hours ago, turtleback said:

He didn’t say anything inflammatory, right? No jokes. “Respect” used a bunch. Etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, turtleback said:

Or did he?   He didn't throw his new overlords under the bus and he deflected, dodged and hit the talking points as best he could.

I wonder when he'll gamble away the new money....

• Thumbs Up 2

—Adam

I wonder if the average golfer even knows what the LIV tour is supposed to represent.

I really don’t think it is the hot topic by those who don’t follow professional golf very closely.

It would be hilarious if it is viewed as a middle age tour.  Too old for the “pro” tour and too young for the “senior” tour.

John

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

It would be hilarious if it is viewed as a middle age tour.  Too old for the “pro” tour and too young for the “senior” tour.

John

I think I am going to start referring to it that way and hope it catches on.  

12 hours ago, Aguirre said:

Also, can you get a drink in Saudi Arabia? I don't think you can, but I may be wrong. Any country where I can't order a drink can get f***ed.

I am sure there are ways to get alcohol in Saudi Arabia.  I do wonder what their version of The Untouchables would be like.  And on a more serious note, many of the "alcohol prohibited" countries do have ways for some people to legally get alcohol, but there are often restrictions on where it can be purchased or consumed.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

4 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

Or did he?   He didn't throw his new overlords under the bus and he deflected, dodged and hit the talking points as best he could.

I think Phil was a well behaved subject to his new overlords. Considering his persona, as reported by media of needing to be the smartest person in the room (I don't know Phil, but I tend to agree), I would imagine the bland, rehearsed, rote answers must be tough for him to spit out over and over again.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1