IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

25 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Oh no not Bubba.  

Is now on the list of things I won't have to say when I see who is leading a (non-major) tournament I care about.

Okay, I'll add a fun fact about Bubba now that it probably won't happen again.  Did you know that the first time in PGA Tour history where back-to-back weeks had a Palmer and a Watson win tournaments were Ryan Palmer and Bubba Watson?  

So this is pretty consistent with their getting all of these just-past-their-prime big names that are not really relevant anymore.  Obviously DJ and Bryson and maybe 1-2 others are still in their prime, but it brings up a thought that very well may have already been mentioned in here (I'm certain it must have - ya'll are smart) ...

Just how much better can these guys possibly get when they're playing so infrequently?  And how much incentive do they even have to care and play well if they've already been paid?

I can't imagine when all is said and done, even if they acquire a few more names, that the quality of their golf improves.  And now (if I'm right about that) I kind of want the majors to let these guys all play and so everybody can see how much they suck.

Oh yeah - and CHIII said "its not about the money."  He didn't elaborate beyond that but my guess is he's growing the game? 😉

Edited by Golfingdad
  • Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

CHIII said "its not about the money."  He didn't elaborate beyond that but my guess is he's growing the game? 😉

friends-ross.gif.77ee05fea01c545237be6177a0aabbea.gif

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

11 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Just how much better can these guys possibly get when they're playing so infrequently?  And how much incentive do they even have to care and play well if they've already been paid?

I would like to float this idea, for free, to the folks who are running LIV.  Have you considered hiring Albert Haynesworth as a director of post-getting-paid player development?  

12 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Oh yeah - and CHIII said "its not about the money."  He didn't elaborate beyond that but my guess is he's growing the game? 😉

I am sad to discover that he is willing to lie so egregiously. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

29 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I can't imagine when all is said and done, even if they acquire a few more names, that the quality of their golf improves.  And now (if I'm right about that) I kind of want the majors to let these guys all play and so everybody can see how much they suck.

the consensus at my home course is that LIV sucks and the players should just say they don’t care about where the money comes from and that they are doing it for the money and leave it at that.   These talking points and crapola about growing the game is just a dodge that few people buy.  

there also is such a disincentive to play good golf.  They’d have done better to call it “The Match on Steroids” and say it’s a fun exhibition a few times a year and leave it at that. 

• Like 1

—Adam

23 hours ago, iacas said:

He achieved that longevity because he’s not mediocre. If he’s mediocre it’s among “those who earned $25M+ and lasted 15+ years.”

And that’s not “another” as you’ve already shared it.

Longevity is important because of what it says about your level of sustained performance.

Thousands have been on Tour for a year or three. Few have done better than CHII for a career.

Not one outstanding achievement other than longevity.  That's mediocre in my book, even if it isn't in yours.  And no, I never shared this fact.  Prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

Oh yeah - and CHIII said "its not about the money."  He didn't elaborate beyond that but my guess is he's growing the game? 

Whenever anyone says it's not about the money, it's always about the money

Edited by turtleback
  • Like 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

On 6/17/2022 at 8:02 PM, Zippo said:

Were I one of the "names" playing in those exhibitions I'd start wearing a rainbow shirt. Unfortunately, the Saudi's action reminds me of a certain bill that was introduced in a certain state, recently.

That's excellent, I agree. I frequently mention the collections of items in these shows that I wear.

image.gif.7ae3a62b3d1d1b03ccda1a66bff9b2d0.gifWhen a golfer tells LIV mgmt. they need to miss a tournament for family reasons…..

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

It honestly feels like LIV's primary objective is to maximize the amount of major trophies they have among their field, with absolutely zero regard to how relevant those guys are today.  Bubba is another guy that simply fills up one more spot on LIV's road to a permanent 48 without losing anyone I care too much about.

-Eric

10 minutes ago, Friz said:

It honestly feels like LIV's primary objective is to maximize the amount of major trophies they have among their field, with absolutely zero regard to how relevant those guys are today. 

If positive PR is the true goal, big names are better than relevant names.

I think MBS was watching the original Major League movie when he had this idea…..

—Adam

5 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I talked to a lady in my section who controls a couple tournaments and grant money for player development. I didn’t know this, but the PGA Tour does give some percentage of revenue to the PGA. This helps fund our player development programs, drive chip and putt programs, etc.

I’ll wait for my check from LIV and let you know when it arrives.

• Funny 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Not all of them, of course, but I can't help but notice that LIV has also attracted a lot of the tour's designated assholes.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

"Witty golf quote."

Another has-been then. Maybe this can be a positive for the PGA Tour if they won't be able to play there anymore. Out with the old, in with someone new.

• Like 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

7 hours ago, Zeph said:

Another has-been then. Maybe this can be a positive for the PGA Tour if they won't be able to play there anymore. Out with the old, in with someone new.

I have been thinking about this as well. For everyone of those veterans that leaves, it opens up a spot for a Cam Young, Will Zalatoris and Mito Pereira's of the world waiting for their opportunity.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

• Administrator
12 hours ago, phillyk said:

I didn’t know this, but the PGA Tour does give some percentage of revenue to the PGA.

Yeah, technically they're still licensing "PGA" from the PGA.

No talking here while I was away about the 14-event schedule with 11 additional elevated Asian Tour events, of which players are "expected" to play in several of them (to get some OWGR points).

So much for spending more time with the family.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Dog with a bone, man. Move along.

On 7/23/2022 at 4:50 PM, turtleback said:

The only aspect of his career that is not mediocre is his longevity.  In money list terms, over 20+ years he was in the top 25 only 4 times, while he was outside the top 50 8 times.  Good enough to keep his card, but hardly the stuff of stars.  Not only did he have only one top ten in a major he has a very poor record in both the Players and the WGC events, so he has been pretty lousy in premium events.  In 9 of his 20+ years he wasn't even ranked in the top 100 in the OWGR.  Other than his first 3 years he's only been in the top 50 on the OWGR once.  He's been around a long time mostly as a third tier player, occassionally sniffing the second tier.  Never made a Ryder Cup team, made 2 Pres. cup team's.  That all adds up to mediocre, relative to the standards of the Tour, in my book.  Except for his longevity.

And that the 'super widely respected' label is meaningless to me.  I put more stock in analyzing his record.  Heck, I'd bet half of those players with all this respect for his accomplishments still think Jack is the GOAT.  Howell comes across as a super nice guy and I'm sure that colors their thinking.  I'm sure he is highly and widely respected' as a person, but by the standards of the Tour he was meh, but for a very long time.

The details are here, for all to see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Howell_III

Then…

On 7/26/2022 at 4:46 PM, turtleback said:

Another little fact showing that Howell is mediocre except for longevity.  He has one top ten in a major and a t9 in the Players.  Every single player above him in the career money list has at least one major win except Matt Kuchar.  But Kuchar has a victory in the Players and 12 top tens in majors.

I said it doesn't count as an "another" because you already shared it…

23 hours ago, turtleback said:

And no, I never shared this fact.  Prove me wrong.

I rest my case.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets