IGNORED

Walkers and Riders… Just Don’t Mix Well!

Sandy Lie
Note: This thread is 1544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, xrayvizhen said:

As others have said this has nothing to do with walkers and riders not mixing well. This exact scenario (along with the beer) has happened to me several times over the years and I can say that what we have here with Fred and the O.P. was simply a failure to communicate.

Here's what did with my "Fred.". Early on, as soon as it became apparent that the group ahead was leaving us in their dust I spoke directly to Fred and said, "Fred, my boy, we're really not having a good time playing with you because you're playing way too slow for us. If you don't mind we're going to just play to a pace that's comfortable for us. You paid your money so you certainly have a right to play at a pace that's comfortable for you, so we're just going to move on ahead. OK?" 

Then the other guy I was with, who was fuming, and I picked up and we moved directly onto the next tee and teed off immediately which created instant space between us and Fred and that was that. We left Fred in our wake and never saw him again.  Problem solved.

Did you give him one of these 🖕 too? Why not just say, "Fred were going to try and catch up with the pace the groups in front of us have set, if you want to hang back at your own pace that's cool with us." What's with all the condescending b.s.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I still maintain a walker can keep pace and actually be more efficient time wise than 2 in a cart. You may get to the ball quicker but do you actually play faster?

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

1 hour ago, xrayvizhen said:

Here's what did with my "Fred.". Early on, as soon as it became apparent that the group ahead was leaving us in their dust I spoke directly to Fred and said, "Fred, my boy, we're really not having a good time playing with you because you're playing way too slow for us.

I like that you said, "Fred, my boy...".  Although it was probably Tony or Steve.

I think we've invented a new phrase on here:  DON'T BE A FRED!

Edited by Double Mocha Man

8 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

I still maintain a walker can keep pace and actually be more efficient time wise than 2 in a cart. You may get to the ball quicker but do you actually play faster?

Yes we do.  In terms of hitting our next shots.  Ready golf all the time tee to green.

So @Sandy Lie if you and your cart partner hit in different directions do you drop off 1 player to ball and go to your ball or sit and wait for them to hit?

The reason I ask is I see that all the time where cart players do 0 walking to their ball which I think you would agree will slow down the cart players. 

No indictment on you, never played with you so that would not be appropriate for me to say. Just my general thoughts on what I have witnessed on the course. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

13 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

So @Sandy Lie if you and your cart partner hit in different directions do you drop off 1 player to ball and go to your ball or sit and wait for them to hit?

The reason I ask is I see that all the time where cart players do 0 walking to their ball which I think you would agree will slow down the cart players. 

No indictment on you, never played with you so that would not be appropriate for me to say. Just my general thoughts on what I have witnessed on the course. 

We’re always moving.  Drop and go. Most times it’s just one stop.  Cart player 1 hits and he has the cart. Cart player 2 already at his ball location hits and walks diagonally forward to the cart.  This keeps us moving forward all the time.

Excellent! That is a great way to move accordingly. Sadly not all follow this. Hence my statement about a walker moving along. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

16 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

Overall pace of play by walkers, riders or both is all based upon skill level of the players in a group. 

Which has nothing to do with your initial broad and all encompassing statement that walkers and riders don't mix well. 

16 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

So no there is no single answer and did not suggest at all that it was fact.  It was that days experience only.  

Dude you titled the post in a way that suggests you think there is one single answer and said it as though it were a fact.

And you closed your initial post with this line which very much reads like a single answer and something you believe to be a fact

On 1/28/2020 at 8:31 PM, Sandy Lie said:

Again, riders and walkers don’t mix well.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

13 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Only if the 2 in the cart are inefficient bozos.  I admit, they exist.  As do slow, inefficient walkers.  All things being equal, the carts will almost always be faster.

For the OP, it’s not that walkers and riders don’t mix.  Slow players and fast players don’t mix.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

27 minutes ago, David in FL said:

...All things being equal, the carts will almost always be faster...

Exactly.  I walk a lot and play quickly and efficiently.  Typically, I can keep pace with people in a cart because they tend to waste time. Or, one or both are not particularly good players.  When there are two efficient, good players in a cart, they leave me in their dust.

Edited by bkuehn1952
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

The occasional 4 some - 9 holes after work.  They like to walk and I pretty much have to cart it these days.  I either keep their pace or move up to make my shot then help them find their shots if needed.  We try to stay aware of what's ahead and behind us.  We rarely have any issues with pace.

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

16 hours ago, xrayvizhen said:

Then the other guy I was with, who was fuming, and I picked up and we moved directly onto the next tee and teed off immediately which created instant space between us and Fred and that was that. We left Fred in our wake and never saw him again.  Problem solved.

The only stupid thing here is the other guy is fuming, what a stupid waste of energy.  If he had your attitude, it wouldn't be a big deal.  Just politely let Fred know you're moving ahead and everybody wins.  This thing where some golfers sit and fume and don't say anything is really one of the most comical things in the game.  Play nice people, it's more fun that way.

15 hours ago, TRUCKER said:

Did you give him one of these 🖕 too? Why not just say, "Fred were going to try and catch up with the pace the groups in front of us have set, if you want to hang back at your own pace that's cool with us." What's with all the condescending b.s.

that's pretty much the same message - just plain english and not so wordy - I bet a dollar that the actual content was closer to yours...("my boy"  and the little speech is pretty condescending for sure, I doubt anyone really THAT cheeky in real life)

General comment about assuming pace of play is better for low handicaps - I call bullshit.  One can roughly infer that lower handicap indicates one plays more and has a better feel for what's typical or expected vs strangers to the sport.  But - still - bullshit.  We can all site enough examples to the contrary that it's hardly even a rough rule....

Edited by rehmwa
  • Like 1

Bill - 

19 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

Nonsense or not if you did not experience what took place it is what it was.  I would say in many circumstances walkers cannot keep pace with carts. In excessive heat for example a walker would fall behind due to exhaustion plain and simple.  Again there is no single answer either way. We have only what we experience on the course that day.

I belong to a club that has a lot of walkers and also has carts available. I find that the walkers have no problem keeping up, on the contrary, I find walking faster, particularly when cart path rules are in place (it depends on conditions, like after a big rain). Your problem wasn't that the guy was a walker, it is that he isn't a serious golfer and doesn't understand pace of play. I would have been on his case early in that round about it. What he was doing is intolerable. 

Bill M

53 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

people in a cart because they tend to waste time.

Cart path only sucks when in a cart.  It's not so much a wast of time rather it's just terribly inefficient.

Bill - 

18 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

Overall pace of play by walkers, riders or both is all based upon skill level of the players in a group.  

That is not true. I play regularly with players of all skill levels and that is not a factor. I play with 25's who will play faster than some 6's and vice versa. It has more to do with golf IQ than anything else. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Bill M

14 minutes ago, phan52 said:

It has more to do with golf IQ than anything else. 

Yep. 

When you see someone hunting for balls all day long in front of you, chances are real good that it is a beginner.  With experience and only a shred or two of common sense,  bad golfers (like me) can play at a reasonable rate or even faster.

You hit one in the junk and you take a provisional. You watch where your ball lands and walk to the spot. You go Red October and you take your drop. You max out ESC and you pick up.

It wasn't all that long ago that I was that beginner that didn't have a clue. My buddies brought me a long and helped me learn. Now I'm faster than any of them, even if I'm not very good.

It’s a slow player issue, not a walking vs riding one. I’ve met plenty of fast walkers and slow riders. I walk 95% of my rounds and nobody has ever accused me of holding up play.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Exactly.  I walk a lot and play quickly and efficiently.  Typically, I can keep pace with people in a cart because they tend to waste time. Or, one or both are not particularly good players.  When there are two efficient, good players in a cart, they leave me in their dust.

100%. It also helps if you get your drive past theirs: then you have to time to catch up to your ball while they hit their approach. The only time I really have to work hard to keep up is when there is a somewhat competent single in a cart and me walking. Especially when they floor the gas pedal on the cart. I typically find myself rushing in that case.

Edited by sjduffers
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Note: This thread is 1544 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!