cspell

2020 Masters (Patron-Free)

94 posts / 7468 viewsLast Reply

3 hours ago, iacas said:

There's a lot you can do without a true vaccine, including better testing, isolating at-risk people, developing treatments or "cures," etc.

And antibody testing, which so far in limited studies indicates that the infection rate is way higher, and mortality rates are therefore way lower, than what they have been reporting.  Denver opened it's city courses yesterday, under restrictions.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Guess this comes as no shock to anyone, I'm coming to this late, thought it would have been posted here already.

EfPI4FLVAAAJM0S.jpg

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2020%2F0404%2Fr686133_1

The Masters Tournament rescheduled for November will take place without spectators or guests, due to the coronavirus pandemic that postponed the...

17 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

Not surprised. I wonder what kind of economic hit this is for the town of Augusta?

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmediadc.brightspotcdn

The city of Augusta sits on Georgia’s eastern border, just across the Savannah River from the South Carolina towns of...

At least they're holding it.  It may serve as a teaser for us for the 2021 Masters too -- although every year's does so for the next year's, this one more so.

I am planning my November around watching this event.

On 8/12/2020 at 4:41 PM, Sandy Divot said:

Not surprised. I wonder what kind of economic hit this is for the town of Augusta?

Golfweek's piece on this.

amen-corner.jpg?w=640

AUGUSTA, Ga. –  Augusta National Golf Club’s decision to hold a patron-free Masters Tournament means tens of thousands of visitors will...

I'll miss the cheers, but it will be kind of cool to see the course as a player would see it the rest of the time.

I'm most interested in seeing how the course looks and plays in November.  The difference in Pebble Beach between a Crosby and a US Open was largely set-up, but time of year was also a significant factor, so it will be interesting to see how November Augusta compares to April Augusta.

It will be odd to watch The Masters, ( Nov. 12-16  ) on television. First of all the fans are what makes the Masters what it is and second switching it from April to November will make a big difference in scoring. The air is denser and the balls wont travel as far. The temperatures around this time of the year in Augusta range from a high of 63 to a low of 47. The greens will be softer and not be as lightning fast as they normally are either due to little rain this time of the year. . Look for lower scoring this year. With the  Azalea bushes not in full bloom the course will be less colorful. Looks like 7 under par might be a good score. Question is, should the Masters have been cancelled the way the R & A went with The Open? Any thoughts? 

It will be odd to watch The Masters in November on television this year. The early warm Spring weather with the colorful Azalea bushes, will be different this time around. The normal temperatures at Augusta in November are 63-47 degrees. This will make the ball not go as far and the greens will be also slower with more rain at this time of year. Not to mention the wind. The fans are what makes The Masters. It will be a low keyed tournament if they aren't there. Question, should The Masters have been post-phoned this year like the R & A did with THE OPEN? Looks like 7 under par might the winning score. Thoughts?

53 minutes ago, ken on the course said:

It will be odd to watch The Masters in November on television this year. The early warm Spring weather with the colorful Azalea bushes, will be different this time around. The normal temperatures at Augusta in November are 63-47 degrees. This will make the ball not go as far and the greens will be also slower with more rain at this time of year. Not to mention the wind. The fans are what makes The Masters. It will be a low keyed tournament if they aren't there. Question, should The Masters have been post-phoned this year like the R & A did with THE OPEN? Looks like 7 under par might the winning score. Thoughts?

I really enjoyed watching the USPGA with or without fans. I’m really looking forward to watching the Masters too. The fact the conditions will be different also makes it more interesting 

I am looking forward to a different looking Masters.  We have had an unusually cool summer in these parts and, should this trend continue into fall, we may be treated to a fall-like tournament.  I certainly hope so.

I haven't watched any golf on TV since COVID-19 but I'll probably make an exception for the Masters since it's my favorite tournament.  So, considering that, I'm glad they're playing.  I'm going to go into it with an open mind, though, and try not to expect it to feel like a "normal" Masters.

The Masters should be a real treat this year.  Since no patrons, there will be no concession areas (where many gather), only a few of the bigger scoreboards, no signage, no grandstands, no crosswalks to get all beat up and HOPEFULLY NO ROPES lining the holes.  Amen Corner.   It'll be as the members see it and BobbyJones envisioned - golf holes cut out amongst the 100ft Ga pines.  Teeboxes with nobody to crowd around within just feet of the shot, greens with all the surrounding grounds - it should be a sight - CBS has been doing it forever and it'll be new to them.  It's been a pleasure to watch these tournaments with 'no fans'in this condition already.  Seems like a different place in some of the angles.  Dang tv towers.

Normally, the course opens mid late October thru mid late May, closed during the heat of the region.   Crew should be going thru the normal cycle of getting the course ready.  Except not having to put up with stuff like cable or fiber being put under ground in new places or the erecting the temporary stuff.

1 hour ago, Piz said:

I am looking forward to a different looking Masters.  We have had an unusually cool summer in these parts and, should this trend continue into fall, we may be treated to a fall-like tournament.  I certainly hope so.

I hope so but its been hotter'n hell down here (Aug area) last couple months.  Too hot for me to play

14 minutes ago, burr said:

The Masters should be a real treat this year.  Since no patrons, there will be no concession areas (where many gather), only a few of the bigger scoreboards, no signage, no grandstands, no crosswalks to get all beat up and HOPEFULLY NO ROPES lining the holes.  Amen Corner.   It'll be as the members see it and BobbyJones envisioned - golf holes cut out amongst the 100ft Ga pines.  Teeboxes with nobody to crowd around within just feet of the shot, greens with all the surrounding grounds - it should be a sight - CBS has been doing it forever and it'll be new to them.  It's been a pleasure to watch these tournaments with 'no fans'in this condition already.  Seems like a different place in some of the angles.  Dang tv towers.

Normally, the course opens mid late October thru mid late May, closed during the heat of the region.   Crew should be going thru the normal cycle of getting the course ready.  Except not having to put up with stuff like cable or fiber being put under ground in new places or the erecting the temporary stuff.

But no magnolias and no pimento cheese sandwiches...

I can’t imagine a reason not to hold it. It’s an invitational for the best players in the world to compete. Fans affect the atmosphere which can have effect the players in a variety of ways. But, it’s still about playing golf. It’s still Augusta National. Seeing it the fall will be a real treat. I can’t wait to see it.