IGNORED

The Golf Gods Giveth, the Golf Gods Taketh Away

phedrick
Note: This thread is 1489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today, with a group of friends, I was able to achieve the best score I have ever enjoyed: 81. On the way home I was thinking about the round and the time I spent with my friends and felt very happy. UNTIL I had the thought "Would it have killed the Golf Gods to give me two strokes?' Two lousy strokes?! LOL

• :callaway: Callaway Epic Flash Driver.  Epic Flash 3 Wood.  GBB Flash 5 wood.  Epic Flash 4 Hybrid
  • :cleveland: Cleveland Launcher HB Irons, 4 through PW. CBX2 Wedges, 54 & 60 degree.
  • :seemore:  Seemore Si1 putter.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, phedrick said:

Today, with a group of friends, I was able to achieve the best score I have ever enjoyed: 81. On the way home I was thinking about the round and the time I spent with my friends and felt very happy. UNTIL I had the thought "Would it have killed the Golf Gods to give me two strokes?' Two lousy strokes?! LOL

Well you’ve done it now. Enjoy your 90+ scores for awhile.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

12 minutes ago, phedrick said:

Golf Gods operate in strange ways.  I was just chatting with them on the practice putting green... they said they have some higher rounds in store for you but on June 14th they're going to let you shoot a 78.

• Like 1

I no longer believe in the golf gods. I’ve made many offerings of brand new golf balls at their altar and still I have yet to break 80.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I no longer believe in the golf gods. I’ve made many offerings of brand new golf balls at their altar and still I have yet to break 80.

Wait a minute! According to your info your HI is 12.4, and you've never broken 80? You must be spectacularly consistent, or breaking 80 would have happened a couple of times by accident! 

I still believe in the golf Gods.   @billchao, you've really done it now..  You always use a capital G when talking about deities!   Different offerings results in different pleasures from the Gods.    Maybe your offering was rejected!   Maybe your God was Loki!   They can be mean and spiteful or generous and forgiving!    I don't want to be in the same room when lightening strikes you Bill!  :banana:

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

33 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Wait a minute! According to your info your HI is 12.4, and you've never broken 80? You must be spectacularly consistent, or breaking 80 would have happened a couple of times by accident! 

Nope. Not. One. Time.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

The golf gods are a fractious bunch.  They disagree on just about everything.  And they drink a lot...some of them anyway.  The only thing you can rely on them to be is unreliable.  That's why they are golf gods...all the cool stuff was already taken.

Hmmm...something tells me there is a 4-putt double in my future.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Interesting for me today, golf gods decided that the only 7+ that I would make today came on a 120 yard par 3, hole 2. I shot 47/48 on a course that was 35/37 par. I even hit a good tee shot on that par 3, but it was really rough after that. The golf gods were keeping me in check.

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Golf Gods giveth and taketh away...

My brother on a 122 yard par 3 with water in front tops the tee shot and 3 skips it onto the green. Has 8’ putt for birdie and ends up with a bogey after the par putt lipped out...Golf Gods definitely have a sense of humor...

Edited by Osnola
  • Like 2

On 3/8/2020 at 6:34 PM, billchao said:

You are donating the wrong ball.

• Like 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

They gave me a 69(-3) last saturday. Maybe i should stop playing until they forget about it.. i´m scared..  

• Like 1

Do the golf gods have names or specific spheres of influence?  Last Sunday I was in good standing with the god of halfway decent drives but, apparently, had offended the god of 4 to 5 foot par putts.  

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I just know that the golf gods do not understand or hear the word 'don't'. Every time I say to myself, "Don't hit it in the trap", I will hit it in the trap. If I think Don't scull it over the green, I scull it over the green. Don't slice the ball,I"ll slice it, and on and on. I do not think or use the word 'don't' anymore when playing.

• Like 1

All of the "Golf Gods, there's 4 of them, all subscribe to "Murphy's Law". I've seen this first hand. 

• Like 2

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
16 hours ago, cooke119 said:

I just know that the golf gods do not understand or hear the word 'don't'. Every time I say to myself, "Don't hit it in the trap", I will hit it in the trap. If I think Don't scull it over the green, I scull it over the green. Don't slice the ball,I"ll slice it, and on and on. I do not think or use the word 'don't' anymore when playing.

Don’t hit it in the hole.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 hours ago, Piz said:

Do the golf gods have names or specific spheres of influence?  Last Sunday I was in good standing with the god of halfway decent drives but, apparently, had offended the god of 4 to 5 foot par putts.  

I cannot reveal my sources. This is a rare photo of the Golf Gods. Do not save this photo. Take a quick glance then be done with it. 4E7BE169-33AF-486E-B97C-B8933684B9F0.thumb.jpeg.564f6e478fae03912b4c7e77f4fe4823.jpeg

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I have been trying to teach my son about the golf gods. He is slowly learning...lol. They certainly have a strange sense of humor.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 1489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!