iacas

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

COVID-19 and Golf  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

953 posts / 45866 viewsLast Reply

Courses are all closed but most of the courses sent emails that basically said "we still have to do maintence in the mornings, if you want to play as a walker we don't care and truthfully can't really stop you". 

All the nearby courses I drive by have solo's on at least every other hole. 

I went for a walk today on an exclusive highend invite only club and I saw a walker that was playing and i'm 100% sure he wasn't a member. The world has shut down so bad that we now have hackers flooding exclusive clubs 😞

4 hours ago, TussinMan said:

Courses are all closed but most of the courses sent emails that basically said "we still have to do maintence in the mornings, if you want to play as a walker we don't care and truthfully can't really stop you". 

All the nearby courses I drive by have solo's on at least every other hole. 

I went for a walk today on an exclusive highend invite only club and I saw a walker that was playing and i'm 100% sure he wasn't a member. The world has shut down so bad that we now have hackers flooding exclusive clubs 😞

Sounds like a road trip to Augusta.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As far as I know, only one of the city-owned courses have been closed. All of the other courses are still open and packed.  Our governor indirectly endorsed playing golf in one of his news conferences, from the Villages, last week.  He mentioned how great it was that the older demographic was practicing social distancing while out on the golf course and getting exercise.  I did hear that Innisbrook closed the beginning of the week.  My brother and I played there this past weekend and it was packed.  They had PVC inserts in the bottom of the cup.

21 hours ago, iacas said:

GOLF AND OHIO'S STAY AT HOME ORDER

In response to yesterday’s Stay at Home Order issued by the Ohio Governor’s office and Ohio’s Department of Health, we have been seeking clarification on whether golf courses can remain open for play. Today, we received confirmation that golf courses may remain open for play under Section 5, Part C of the Stay at Home Order, as long as they can comply with Social Distancing Requirements as outlined in Section 15.

To view the Stay at Home Order in its entirety, click here.

Social distancing requirements as outlined by the Director’s Stay at Home Order include:
  • Maintaining a distance of at least six feet between individuals
  • Having hand sanitizer and sanitizing products readily available for employees and customers
  • Implementing separate hours for elderly and vulnerable customers
  • Posting online whether a facility is open and how to best reach the facility and continue services by phone or remotely (applicable to tee time reservations and checking in)
Additionally, maintenance for golf courses can proceed under Section 12, Part K as they are providing services necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation and essential operation of an Essential Activity as previously outlined (Section 5, Part C).

I'd like to know how they got confirmation that golf courses can remain open.  Did they receive documentation they can share or was it just a phone call. I have seen one Ohio course share similar info on Facebook, while another Ohio course said the local health department won't let them stay open. It would be nice to have documentation from the state.

Chicago area some are opening starting today, pay online walk only. Going to play Carriage Green in a bit so ill see if cups are raised. Other courses that I know are just opened are Cog Hill, and Village Green in Glen Ellyn. 

Illinois courses are saying on web sites per executive order and certain rules. 

I played yesterday for the first time since the virus alerts.  As of yesterday there were no mandatory course shut downs here.  But at the course there were changes.  No sand bottles, no rakes at the bunkers (or anywhere), PVC pipe had been put in the holes such that the ball could not drop to the bottom (in fact the top of the ball was slightly above the rim of cup) and you were told to not remove the flags, no ball washers, and no cash accepted in the pro shop.  The restaurant was open but no seating inside, only outside and limited menu. 

Since I was out I missed it but a neighbor told me the city had declared "State of Emergency" yesterday.  So not sure you can play today.  But I'll check and see if true and update Y'all if that is so.  It would seem futile around here unless all the Metro Phoenix municipalities followed suite.  But then, what do I know, I'm not a Doctor. 

All courses in the Denver metro area are now closed. I wonder if we might see some loosening of that because golf can still be played with social distancing. But I know one of the reasons for the Denver proper closure was because the mayor saw people playing basketball and volleyball over the weekend. I doubt they'll be very tolerant of people playing any outdoor sport at this point.

19 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

All courses in the Denver metro area are now closed. I wonder if we might see some loosening of that because golf can still be played with social distancing. But I know one of the reasons for the Denver proper closure was because the mayor saw people playing basketball and volleyball over the weekend. I doubt they'll be very tolerant of people playing any outdoor sport at this point.

... and maybe he saw golfers playing together, under 6' distancing, riding in carts together and shaking hands and high 5ing.  What we sow we reap.  Conjecture regarding Denver, but I saw it at my course.  Some people are just skeptics, believers in the "hoax".  That's the way they are wired and they'll be damned if anyone's gonna get 'em to change.

It's a virus, but I can't see it. " Carl, would you like me to tend or remove that flagstick?"

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Even just saying that you perpetuate the idea.

So stop it.

I’m looking to play tomorrow. I’ll walk. I’ll play with my daughter. I’ll be safer than almost anything else.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Even just saying that you perpetuate the idea.

So stop it.

I’m looking to play tomorrow. I’ll walk. I’ll play with my daughter. I’ll be safer than almost anything else.

Not sure if that was directed at me but I played right up to the last day here in WA state... abiding by all the CDC rules and some of my own... like not touching the broken tees left on the ground on par 3s.  And I had to educate some of the guys I played with.  

I went to a nearby city park yesterday with my rangefinder.  Determined that on the open grassfield I could play shots up to 120 yards.  If nobody else is using the field.  Shocking was that the basketball hoops at the same park, that my son and I use, were covered by a chunk of 2X6 wood, wired on to the rim.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

It was.

Wishing I could play tomorrow.  What's the guideline for PA?  Courses still open or re-opened?

And that board over the rim sure will mess up my 3-point swish...

boarded up.jpg

Still open here in Anderson, South Carolina.

Going to play this afternoon for the first time since all this started.

We'll be walking with my push cart. Will carry hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes.

Still open in NC for now.  I have league tonight and we just got the "shelter-in-place" order here.  Non-essential businesses can stay open as long as they adhere to the social distancing rules which, I believe, most golf courses can achieve.  I expect most to stay open for the duration.

Great news! Osceola county has deemed golf to be an approved activity as well as keeping the club employees working to help with the economy. Course staying open!

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Great news! Osceola county has deemed golf to be an approved activity as well as keeping the club employees working to help with the economy. Course staying open!

With what precautions?

I feel like Florida is handling this pretty badly.

Just now, iacas said:

With what precautions?

I feel like Florida is handling this pretty badly.

Golfers handle their own bags/clubs as much as possible, the cart guys all wear gloves and carry de sanitizer bottles. They are wiping down carts constantly. Only three at a time in the pro shop and the six feet of space is enforced as much as possible. My course is heavy with tourists so it’s pretty vacant compared to usual having no tourists here. I don’t think a golf course is a high risk activity for the reasons you mentioned before. People are crowding much more in grocery stores than on the golf course. 
I suggested they make it walk only but I think there’s a large population of older players who simply can’t walk this course.