IGNORED

Tiny Homes

iacas
Note: This thread is 1462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

My wife is watching a bunch of "Tiny Home" shows in a row. What the hell? How many of these people are still living in their tiny homes three years later? Tiny Homes are 165 square feet on average. They just finished a home for a family of five. Many of these people are couples with pets and/or kids on the way.

And, they're paying $75k+ for these things.

What in the holy hell? My 800 square foot apartment in Florida was "small." How in the f*** are people doing this for more than about three days in a row?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think they'd be OK as like a lakeside cabin where you stay for the weekend or maybe a week in the summer, but never to live in permanently.  Also, if I was single and needed a place to write my manifesto... 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

My wife is watching a bunch of "Tiny Home" shows in a row. What the hell? How many of these people are still living in their tiny homes three years later? Tiny Homes are 165 square feet on average. They just finished a home for a family of five. Many of these people are couples with pets and/or kids on the way.

What in the holy hell? My 800 square foot apartment in Florida was "small." How in the f*** are people doing this for more than about three days in a row?

Mental illness?!  :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Seems pretty silly. And damn...if someone gets a little case of the runs....turn the music up...

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

It's mostly about "green living". The small footprint uses less energy to heat or cool. It also makes it easy to move. Most "mobile homes" are not easy to move, but a tiny home with wheels can be hitched up to a truck and away you go. They should not cost that much. They were supposed to run $20-50K. These must be luxury tiny homes.

- Shane

Can you imagine being stuck in the same "room" with 3 other people and a dog when there is bad weather and  you can't get outside?   oh hell no!  I understand the novelty but definitely not a long term situation.

I do like the many ways they conserve space but some ways seem to be unrealistic for the long haul.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

44 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

It's mostly about "green living". The small footprint uses less energy to heat or cool. It also makes it easy to move. Most "mobile homes" are not easy to move, but a tiny home with wheels can be hitched up to a truck and away you go. They should not cost that much. They were supposed to run $20-50K. These must be luxury tiny homes.

... with a jacuzzi and a pool...

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I think for some people they value reduced consumption/materialism more than comfort and space. If you told me that I never had to work again, everything paid for, and gave me a fully furnished tiny home on a golf resort that I get to play as much as I want, I would take it in a heartbeat. I think we as a society overvalue in-home space and materials sometimes. Obviously you wouldn't be the one entertaining all of your friends and family if you lived in one of these, but I think that you would get used to it after a while.

That being said, I'd also take a mansion if it was offered to me. I don't really have a dog in the fight on this one, but can definitely understand the draw of one of these. Less to clean, less to worry about, etc.

Also, 75k sounds like the top of the range, unless they are including the plot of land with that.

Edit*

I am also a single guy, so I don't need a lot of space. If I had a family, I think my opinion on this would be quite different.

Edited by Bonvivant
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

For a single person, these could be a great solution, but when I see a family with two teenagers and three dogs start talking about this as a livable option, I think either:

• mental illness
  • attention seeking

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

2 minutes ago, bwdial said:

• mental illness
  • attention seeking

It's really probably closer to virtue signalling. "Look at me and how good I am for the environment". They probably still drive an SUV though if they are a family, lol.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

I agree with OP sentiment, however my wife and I who are empty nesters just downsized. We went from 2,700 sf to half of that. At least there is a nice full basement. Looking to make a golf practice facility down there if this virus keeps us locked up. Not sure how we have done that (no basement/storage) in Florida as a slab on grade, but that is the next step as we head towards retirement.

It is cozy and we are both working from home now that the state is basically locked down.

15 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I think for some people they value reduced consumption/materialism more than comfort and space. If you told me that I never had to work again, everything paid for, and gave me a fully furnished tiny home on a golf resort that I get to play as much as I want, I would take it in a heartbeat.

Let me know when you find that tiny home on the 5th hole at Pebble Beach.  😄  Will you have a golf net or practice putting green in your front yard?

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Let me know when you find that tiny home on the 5th hole at Pebble Beach.  😄  Will you have a golf net or practice putting green in your front yard?

It's an unreal hypothetical of course, but just showing that I would be willing to give up almost all of my private space (save 150-200 square feet) for a dream life of golf.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I know Japanese people are used to living in small homes, especially in major cities, but 165 sq ft is ridiculous.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

Also, 75k sounds like the top of the range, unless they are including the plot of land with that.

The one after that was 200sf and $95k. No land.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1462 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!