IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

iacas

7 hours ago, iacas said:

But the reality is that "the risks of getting any version of the virus remain small for the vaccinated, and the risks of getting badly sick remain minuscule," Leonhardt writes. "In Seattle on an average recent day, about one out of every one million vaccinated residents have been admitted to a hospital with COVID symptoms. That risk is so close to zero that the human mind can't easily process it.

Here's the problem with "accepting the new risk" for the vaccinated: there are still a lot of unvaccinated people out there, and the vaccinated care about those people. I'm not really all that worried, having been vaccinated, of getting really sick or dying. But I would still prefer not to get COVID, because I may pass it on to my stupid mother in law, who has said many of the same things as a lot of the other dumb "it's just a flu" and "I have natural immunity" (etc.) as others.

Especially since I could pass it on to her with an increased chance that my case is asymptomatic, since I am vaccinated.

So yeah, I wear a mask when I go to the store again. I'll wear it when teaching group lessons if Erie remains at certain levels, etc. I'll follow recommendations.

That's because while I'm okay with accepting the risks for myself, I'm not going to make choices for others.

Pretty good way of stating it. 👍

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I respond often to a anti-vax and anti-mask acquaintance of mine. Recent one involved the  KC Chiefs and the owner demanding compliance with standing for the pledge of allegiance or the player won’t play ever. Saying he pays their paycheck so he can demand whatever he wants. I responded with owners demanding vaccinations, but apparently it’s different 😩 they can’t and won’t ever see or understand. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 hour ago, Wanzo said:

Agree.  But playing devils advocate I assume you believe we should wear masks indefinitely to reduce deaths from covid along with other airborne transmitted viruses as well?

No, I do not believe that.  At this time the number of cases is high in some areas, including Michigan where I live, and some hospitals are experiencing capacity issues. If we can get vaccination rates up and reduce the burden on hospitals then I feel masks can be put away.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You've already had it.  And you can still spread it.

"When you have immunity, your body can recognize and fight off the virus.
It's possible that people who've had COVID-19 can get sick again -- and maybe infect other people."

This doesn't change when you are vaccinated. The vaccine is the immunity they speak of in the first sentence, the same as natural immunity. I haven't seen evidence that the vaccine prevents it, just lessens or completely negates symptoms (which is important for obvious reasons). I'd hazard a guess that it is more likely for vaccinated people to be asymptomatic, and in turn pass it along (if they aren't following health guidelines).

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

8 hours ago, iacas said:

238239F0-BE86-4281-8C4C-4D3968BC18EB.gif

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

238239F0-BE86-4281-8C4C-4D3968BC18EB.gif

We'd be sending it crashing into saner and more innocent countries.

—Adam

9 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I haven't seen evidence that the vaccine prevents it, just lessens or completely negates symptoms (which is important for obvious reasons). 

You have. Maybe you just didn’t interpret the data correctly. Nothing is 100%, but a non-vaccinated person is 7 times more likely to get infected than a vaccinated person. And of course like you said vaccines greatly reduce the chance for serious illness.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

18 hours ago, iacas said:

Generally best to not assume things (even though you weren't replying to me). This is a multi-variate issue with LOTS of factors.

I will point out that several strains of the flu went extinct because of the mask wearing last winter, and many people went without being sick for the first time in a decade+ last winter as well, and many of them said in the spring that they'd seriously consider wearing a mask in future winters, COVID or not.

Everyone has different tolerances, different levels of risk vs. inconvenience, different everything.

yeah, all good points and i'm totally on board with the concept that different people are going to be at different comfort levels.  If folks want to wear a mask this winter, even if covid is gone, might make sense.  I have a friend who's son would be in a bad spot if he got it, so they are going to take different precautions than others.  I think a lot of people are to the point they want to understand how this "ends" for folks who don't feel the same level of concern and when the risks are similar to other illnesses we already live with.

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

16 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

If folks want to wear a mask this winter, even if covid is gone, might make sense. 

It keeps your face warm 😉

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

In my state in Australia,(NSW) we are currently (and have been for many weeks) restricted to travel within our local government areas(LGAs)  and no more than 5ks if you cross into another LGA.

What this means for the majority of people is that they cannot travel more than about 10ks from home. Masks everywhere, takeaway food only, groups of two exercising.

Every day we have State Government press briefing where the number of infections and deaths are revealed. Pretty much 100% of deaths are unvaccinated people.

We are scheduled to ease restrictions on October 18 when 70% are double vaccinated.

Pretty hard to understand why some people are thinking that things are going to be "normal" any time soon.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

3 minutes ago, Shorty said:

In my state in Australia,(NSW) we are currently (and have been for many weeks) restricted to travel within our local government areas(LGAs)  and no more than 5ks if you cross into another LGA.

What this means for the majority of people is that they cannot travel more than about 10ks from home. Masks everywhere, takeaway food only, groups of two exercising.

Every day we have State Government press briefing where the number of infections and deaths are revealed. Pretty much 100% of deaths are unvaccinated people.

We are scheduled to ease restrictions on October 18 when 70% are double vaccinated.

Pretty hard to understand why some people are thinking that things are going to be "normal" any time soon.

Shorty... congrats on the 3000th post on this topic.  You win a free mask!  If the government restriction on travel were implemented in the U.S. we'd have a rebellion on our hands.

22 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Shorty... congrats on the 3000th post on this topic.  You win a free mask!  If the government restriction on travel were implemented in the U.S. we'd have a rebellion on our hands.

LOL - I have imagined this scenario. 

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

If the government restriction on travel were implemented in the U.S. we'd have a rebellion on our hands.

I'm almost expecting one locally.   I'm glad I don't have school aged children!    The county health department has mandated that all students wear masks.   There are numerous students that are refusing to wear masks and the school is just taking names and numbers.   They are being reported to the county health board.  I suspect that eventually they will tell the parents "mask or no school".   I could see a revolution.   At the local high school,  virtual school isn't an option this year.

Stay tuned

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

There should be a superhuman badge.

gettyimages-1307403039-20_wide-40e51e239

That's how some scientists describe the findings of a series of studies looking at the antibodies created by individuals who were infected by the coronavirus and then had an mRNA vaccine.

War Eagle!

55 minutes ago, The Flush said:

There should be a superhuman badge.

gettyimages-1307403039-20_wide-40e51e239

That's how some scientists describe the findings of a series of studies looking at the antibodies created by individuals who were infected by the coronavirus and then had an mRNA vaccine.

I have a friend who claims he had Covid a long time ago and now has immunity.  I texted him this article yesterday saying if he got the vaccine he'd be my first "super-human" friend.

5 hours ago, saevel25 said:
5 hours ago, Wanzo said:

It keeps your face warm 😉

Ha.  There were times I did appreciate that!  

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet