IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

5 hours ago, Elmer said:

1st shot of Pfizer is in  the books.

Had to drive 2 hours to Plattsburgh, but it is what it is!

Where you at? I'm in Albany

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Seriously, I hope there's an anti-mask person someplace on this forum who can explain to me how wearing a mask will "make people sick"? 

I did a quick Google, and apparently some doctor said that if you wear a mask for long enough, day after day, without washing it, it could collect enough crud to make you sick.  So its obviously the mask, not the person wearing the mask, that's the problem.  

5 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Where you at? I'm in Albany

I work in Albany, live just 20 min north

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I did a quick Google, and apparently some doctor said that if you wear a mask for long enough, day after day, without washing it, it could collect enough crud to make you sick.  So its obviously the mask, not the person wearing the mask, that's the problem.  

Yes, wash your masks, people. I should wash mine more often, but… yeah. I still wash them pretty often.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Yes, wash your masks, people. I should wash mine more often, but… yeah. I still wash them pretty often.

I have a reminder on my phone to change my mask every two days...  and change my swing keys every one day...

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

I have 3
The one I am wore  yesterday, the one I will wear tomorrow and the one I am wearing.
One is always in today's wash!

15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Lol, do these people wash their socks and underwear?

We have a bunch of reusable masks, and we wash them after each significant use. We also have disposable surgical masks, which we toss after each use.

19 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

My wife lets me know when the mask crud factor hits.

😷

This might be a good time to mention that it has been a very light flu season:

• Flu season has been mild this year, thanks to the mitigation measures used to contain COVID-19, such as physical distancing and mask wearing.
  • School and office closures also contributed to the unusually inactive flu season.
  • The mitigation measures curbed influenza activity even though COVID-19 surged.
  • Flu_Shot_Sign_Mask_732x549-thumbnail.jpg

Flu season has been mild this year, thanks to the measures used to contain COVID-19, such as mask wearing, physical distancing, and school closures.

3 hours ago, Elmer said:

I have 3
The one I am wore  yesterday, the one I will wear tomorrow and the one I am wearing.
One is always in today's wash!

I literally have like a dozen. I'm a wear them once and then wash them guy. 

Both of these sites suggest that the virus may not live long on fabrics, generally speaking:

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Frequently Asked Questions | Johns Hopkins Medicine

Coronavirus and Surfaces: How Long Does COVID-19 Live on Surfaces? (webmd.com)

We were rarely out and about around people in situations that were as hazardous as many had to be since we were fortunate enough not to have to be. I changed my mask as it got visibly dirty (or after sneezes!) but I don't think I ever thought about it carrying virus from one wearing until the next several days later. In any event, I agree that it's probably better to error on the side of caution.

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Both of these sites suggest that the virus may not live long on fabrics, generally speaking:

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Frequently Asked Questions | Johns Hopkins Medicine

Coronavirus and Surfaces: How Long Does COVID-19 Live on Surfaces? (webmd.com)

We were rarely out and about around people in situations that were as hazardous as many had to be since we were fortunate enough not to have to be. I changed my mask as it got visibly dirty (or after sneezes!) but I don't think I ever thought about it carrying virus from one wearing until the next several days later. In any event, I agree that it's probably better to error on the side of caution.

We've known the virus doesn't last long on surfaces for about eight months now. I think when people talk about tgetting sick from dirty masks they're talking about bacteria, etc. Not COVID-19.

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

We've known the virus doesn't last long on surfaces for about eight months now. I think when people talk about tgetting sick from dirty masks they're talking about bacteria, etc. Not COVID-19.

Gotcha. Thanks

I recall the movie Contagion had a similar plot to the actual COVID 19 pandemic. Have we considered that maybe Gwyneth Paltrow is to blame for all this?

MV5BMTY3MDk5MDc3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzAy

Directed by Steven Soderbergh. With Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow. Healthcare professionals, government officials and everyday people find themselves in...

It is uncanny how this has been predicted.

One issue we are having in my state is the vaccine roll out. It has been slow and disorganized. The governor for some reason went away from the system that was in place and handed it out to private firms. The website has had numerous issues. it is frustrating. 

(edited)

Each time I go in some place, when I come back out I spray both sides of my mask with disinfectant, then spray my hands, and rub them together.

It tugs on my heart that 3500 healthcare workers (a figure I heard yesterday/tried to factcheck) have died from COVID, when they did not have to.  Worldwide, it appears the figure is 17,000.

&, yes, the Pandemic was predicted, and there was a playbook:

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/NSTC/towards_epidemic_prediction-federal_efforts_and_opportunities.pdf

Edited by Ole Duffer

I read 35,000 died from C19 in nursing homes in NY & Michigan. Read it, don't know if it is accurate? 

• Administrator
106852520-1615468225991-gettyimages-1231

Pfizer said its Covid-19 vaccine blocked 94% of asymptomatic infections in an Israeli study – a result CEO Albert Bourla called "extremely important."

Pfizer said Thursday its Covid-19 vaccine blocked 94% of asymptomatic infections in an Israeli study – a result CEO Albert Bourla called “extremely important.”

The study, which measured results two weeks after the second dose, also found the vaccine was at least 97% effective against symptomatic Covid cases, hospitalizations and deaths, according to Pfizer, which developed the shot with BioNTech.

I regularly wash cotton masks and replace the pm 2.5 or whatever insert after a couple of uses. KN95 I'll put in the oven at 175 for a bit if I reuse. Usually I double mask if I can, KN95 inside, cotton outside. I don't hang masks off the car rear view mirror, put them in the glove compartment or a closed bag.